What happened to Richard Lonmouth?

HouseFossoway

Richard Lonmouth was one of prince Rhaegar's squires, who was later knighted and became one of his few close friends, aside from Jon Connington, Myles Mooton, Maester Aemon and Arthur Dayne. The only other bit of information we have about Richard Lonmouth is that he played a drinking game with Robert at Harrenhal, and promised Aerys II he would find the knight of the laughing tree. We are told the fate of every single other one of Rhaegar's friends and companions except for Richard Lonmouth, and since Rhaegar is so secretive and has a few very central mysteries tied to him, it might be important to know what the fate of each person who might give us more insight about Rhaegar, since so far the only somewhat detailed personal descriptions have come from Barristan, Aemon and Jon Connington. So from least crackpot to most crackpot, here are the theories about the fate of Richard Lonmouth, that I have either thought up, or gathered from another thread:

1. He died at some point in the rebellion, and won't have a further impact on the story.

2. He survived the rebellion, took a pardon from Robert, and retired to his home in the stormlands where he remained a minor lord. Now that the Golden Company is in the stormlands, he might declare for Aegon,  his friend's son, and meet up with Jon Con and Aegon.

3. He survived, but was exiled/fled to essos, where he joined a sellsword company (in disguise).

4. He is secretly Lem Lemoncloak fro the brotherhood without banners.

5. He wore Rhaegar's armor to the battle of the Trident and was killed by Robert (that was how Robert was able to defeat "Rhaegar"). Rhaegar is thus still alive.

Are there anymore theories? Is he even that relevant of a character?

@Lady Gwynhyfvar

I would add a link to Lady Gywn's Richard Lonmouth = Lem Lemoncloak theory for those interested in the source of that particular theory. I like the idea that Lonmouth will step forward with new information from the days of Robert's Rebellion and the Harrenhal tourney. I don't much care which way it happens, but if I have to choose, I'll go with Lady Gwyn's idea.

I like the idea that Richard wore Rhaegar's armour into battle and died in his stead and that is how Rhaegar is still alive, but I don't think that a switch would not be noticed. They must've removed Rhaegar's helmet (if he wore one) and had it not been Rhaegar, it would've been seen instantly.

1 minute ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

I like the idea that Richard wore Rhaegar's armour into battle and died in his stead and that is how Rhaegar is still alive, but I don't think that a switch would not be noticed. They must've removed Rhaegar's helmet (if he wore one) and had it not been Rhaegar, it would've been seen instantly.

Besides, GRRM stated that Rhaegar was cremated. 

I think we can pretty much count it as read that Lonmouth would have been one of the half dozen companions whom Rhaegar took into the Riverlands. 

I suspect he has vital information in that case, pertaining to the marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar, and the nature of their union. ie: was it love, prophesy, political?? 

Also I really like the Lem Lemmoncloak theory. And see this as a way he could be realistically re introduced and drop his info baby. 

On 12/27/2016 at 2:03 AM, SFDanny said:

@Lady Gwynhyfvar

I would add a link to Lady Gywn's Richard Lonmouth = Lem Lemoncloak theory for those interested in the source of that particular theory. I like the idea that Lonmouth will step forward with new information from the days of Robert's Rebellion and the Harrenhal tourney. I don't much care which way it happens, but if I have to choose, I'll go with Lady Gwyn's idea.

Bingo.  Makes me wonder if anymore of Rhaegar's friends  are alive and waiting. 

Archived