Rank the strongest castles in your opinion

Jadakiss

38 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The Eyrie is impossible to take, yes, but it's utterly useless. All you need to do is stick some men at the bottom of the mountain, and conquer the Vale without it.

After a few years, you can go up and clear out the starved and frozen bodies.

Agree completely. The Eyrie is a death trap. 

Casterly Rock is probably #1

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The Eyrie is impossible to take, yes, but it's utterly useless. All you need to do is stick some men at the bottom of the mountain, and conquer the Vale without it.

After a few years, you can go up and clear out the starved and frozen bodies.

That's easier said than done. To conquer the vale, one find a way pass the bloody gate, which   have never been taken. I'm not sure if it's considered a castle, but if it was...it would be in my top 5. To conquer the Eyrie from the 7k, one must get past the bloody gate, the gates of the moon, and three waycastles, which are located up a narrow road going up the side of the mountain. 

The only other way to take the Vale, would be with a fleet. The Targs tried to take the Vale with a fleet and got their little ships wrecked. But let's say that an army land on the shores of the Vale. The knights of the Vale are pretty loyal to the Arryns, and would rally to the Falcon banners against any invaders, who also have to deal with the mountain clans.

There's a reason that the Vale has never been conquered (pre-targaryen). It's close to impossible to take by conventional means. If the Eyrie or the gates of the moon are ever besieged, all the Arron's have to do is send out some ravens and the Knight of the Ninestars, the Royces, Redforts, Waynwoods, Corbrays, and company will eventually break the siege.

#1 : Casterly Rock - I hate the Lannisters, but I must admit, from the descriptions we have so far, it would be basically impossible to take by force. Supplies shipped in and have ample room for plenty of supplies anyways.

#2 : Greywater Watch - This one was harder, I originally had the Eyrie, but according to the in book sources, no one has  ever found Greywater Watch. A castle no one can find is nigh impossible to take. 

#3 : Storm's End - I would make sure to have my own smuggler on board, but again a nearly impossible castle to take. Strong defenses and has to be surrounded by land and sea to be taken. 

#4 : The Bloody Gate and The Eyrie - At first, I had the Eyrie a lot higher, but the fact it kills you in winter brought it down. However, according to in book sources, the Bloody Gate repelled countless attacks. Therefore, in combination, Ill put them at 4.

#5 : Castamere - Now here is my controversal one. I know, I know, you just flood it. To that, I say 2 things. First, I would build an escape tunnel for water secretly and inconveniently for anyone to enter with and with barred and locked gates within (maybe children or dwarfs have to build it or something). Secondly, now no one can use Tywin's trick and its fairly impenetrable. 

#6 : Moat Cailin from the South - Stopped the Andals in their tracks, is super old and is disrepair and still cannot be taken from the South. 

#7 : The Nightfort or Castle Black from the North - The wall makes taking a castle that is manned behind it nearly impossible to take. 

#8 : Dragonstone - Well protected by the sea, but I am not sure about its provisions in a siege. 

#9 : Harrenhall - With a small garrison, I assume provisions could last a long time. I would lay traps in unused part of the castle in case someone managed to get inside. 

#10 : Raventree Hall - Mostly joking, just my personal pride. If I was in charge, I would find a way to end my fude with the Brackens and work to improve Raventree Hall with, for example, Glass Gardens like in Winterfell and a moat as well. 

3 hours ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

That's easier said than done. To conquer the vale, one find a way pass the bloody gate, which   have never been taken. I'm not sure if it's considered a castle, but if it was...it would be in my top 5. To conquer the Eyrie from the 7k, one must get past the bloody gate, the gates of the moon, and three waycastles, which are located up a narrow road going up the side of the mountain. 

The only other way to take the Vale, would be with a fleet. The Targs tried to take the Vale with a fleet and got their little ships wrecked. But let's say that an army land on the shores of the Vale. The knights of the Vale are pretty loyal to the Arryns, and would rally to the Falcon banners against any invaders, who also have to deal with the mountain clans.

There's a reason that the Vale has never been conquered (pre-targaryen). It's close to impossible to take by conventional means. If the Eyrie or the gates of the moon are ever besieged, all the Arron's have to do is send out some ravens and the Knight of the Ninestars, the Royces, Redforts, Waynwoods, Corbrays, and company will eventually break the siege.

Yes, but we're only considering the Eyrie. It's an utterly pointless castle in the sense that it does nothing to protect the Vale itself - yes, the Vale is well-defended, but it's for the *other* reasons you state.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, Coolbeard the Exile said:

We don't know much about the Dreadfort

We know a good bit. We know the starks needed a 2 year siege to get the boltons to finally surrender. We know that Stannis chose not to go attack the dreadfort after Jon made it clear to him how strong the castle was, even with a small garrison. Thats why the Karstarks and Boltons actually wanted Stannis to attack the DF, would have been a death mission

1) Storms End - impregnable, only able to be taken by treachery from within

2) Greywater watch - impossible to find=impossible to conquer

3) Riverrun - surrounded by water and ability to put in chains and bring in supplies. 

4) Casterly Rock - sounds impregnable except for the sewers. There is a reason Tyrion keep talking about cleaning sewers in CR over and over agin

5) Eyrie - except by starvation/blockade

6) Winterfell - if they actually pay attention

7) Moat Caitlin - except from the North side which is apparently quite easy 

1. Storm's End: Held up against the gods, resupply by sea, Bran the builders strong walls.

2. Casterly Rock: We need to know more but it sounds like the #1 spot. Its like a castle, a maze, and a mountain with near unlimited resupply...seriously OP.

3. The Twins: is a nightmare. Needs to be invested from both sides, equally strong castles on both banks, river resupply. There is a reason the Northern lords were shook.

4. Winterfell: high walls, ancient keep, i'm not sure how much food the greenhouse could supply for the garrison but with the large granaries most likely enough.

5. Red Keep: Pretty daunting, castle within a castle, but the real reason it makes the list is hidden passage ways. Even if it got taken one could mount a viscious resistance.

1 hour ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

1. Storm's End: Held up against the gods, resupply by sea, Bran the builders strong walls.

2. Casterly Rock: We need to know more but it sounds like the #1 spot. Its like a castle, a maze, and a mountain with near unlimited resupply...seriously OP.

3. The Twins: is a nightmare. Needs to be invested from both sides, equally strong castles on both banks, river resupply. There is a reason the Northern lords were shook.

4. Winterfell: high walls, ancient keep, i'm not sure how much food the greenhouse could supply for the garrison but with the large granaries most likely enough.

5. Red Keep: Pretty daunting, castle within a castle, but the real reason it makes the list is hidden passage ways. Even if it got taken one could mount a viscious resistance.

Interesting you chose the Twins over Riverrun, do you mind giving your logic?

On 1/10/2017 at 11:58 PM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

#1 : Casterly Rock - I hate the Lannisters, but I must admit, from the descriptions we have so far, it would be basically impossible to take by force. Supplies shipped in and have ample room for plenty of supplies anyways.

#2 : Greywater Watch - This one was harder, I originally had the Eyrie, but according to the in book sources, no one has  ever found Greywater Watch. A castle no one can find is nigh impossible to take. 

#3 : Storm's End - I would make sure to have my own smuggler on board, but again a nearly impossible castle to take. Strong defenses and has to be surrounded by land and sea to be taken. 

#4 : The Bloody Gate and The Eyrie - At first, I had the Eyrie a lot higher, but the fact it kills you in winter brought it down. However, according to in book sources, the Bloody Gate repelled countless attacks. Therefore, in combination, Ill put them at 4.

#5 : Castamere - Now here is my controversal one. I know, I know, you just flood it. To that, I say 2 things. First, I would build an escape tunnel for water secretly and inconveniently for anyone to enter with and with barred and locked gates within (maybe children or dwarfs have to build it or something). Secondly, now no one can use Tywin's trick and its fairly impenetrable. 

#6 : Moat Cailin from the South - Stopped the Andals in their tracks, is super old and is disrepair and still cannot be taken from the South. 

#7 : The Nightfort or Castle Black from the North - The wall makes taking a castle that is manned behind it nearly impossible to take. 

#8 : Dragonstone - Well protected by the sea, but I am not sure about its provisions in a siege. 

#9 : Harrenhall - With a small garrison, I assume provisions could last a long time. I would lay traps in unused part of the castle in case someone managed to get inside. 

#10 : Raventree Hall - Mostly joking, just my personal pride. If I was in charge, I would find a way to end my fude with the Brackens and work to improve Raventree Hall with, for example, Glass Gardens like in Winterfell and a moat as well. 

I could see your logic for castamere but if we start thinking of ways to improve a castle then we could theoretically make any of them the best one. I thought Moat Cailin at first but now I'm kind of against it and the nightfort or castle black because they are very week from one side (the occupied nights watch castles have little defense from the south and nightfort is in disrepair). The bloody gate is sort of in the same situation. 

Was it in the show or the books where Bronn makes the comment about a dozen good men with ropes could impregnate the eyrie?

Are people not saying anything about the Hightower bc we don't know enough? Or are we assuming they just surrender to any formidable foe?

On 11-1-2017 at 7:36 AM, The Pimp that was Promised said:

But revolting lords of the Vale can shut out the Eyrie with a siege easily. That's what the Lords Declarant intended. The LD gave in, because Corbray embarassed them by taking out his sword while under guest right. But if the rest of the Vale cuts off supply, who cares about the Bloody Gate and the Gates of the Moon. Once the donkeys can't go up with supplies, the Arryns are done for.

For the OP. Siege depends on the ability to cut off supplies, while being able to maintain your own supply line. So, I'm not thinking about which castle can withstand a storming force best, but withstand a siege best, or well jsut can't be sieged.

1. Greywater Watch: find it and keep it stationary, while being unable to live on the bog lands yourself.

2. Twins: you need to be able to cut it off from both sides of the river, and then supplies could still be brought in via the river.

3. Storm's End: in intricate defenses CR may be stronger, both are accessible by sea and require a fleet to cut off suppy coming in for CR from the sea, but Storm's End has the notorious Shipbreaker Bay which would make it hard on the enemy ships to keep the siege locked, while the Sunset Sea and the bay is smaller and calmer.

4. Sunspear: non Dornish - forget about reaching it overland (through mountains and desert), which leaves you the sole option to besiege it from the sea, while supplies can still get to Sunspear from the Greenblood and the sun cooks your brains. WF uses climate to its advantage in the same way, but that only works in winter or late fall and can be easily cut off. Rebellious Dornish - accustomed to the climate, don't have to conquer mountains and desert, can use the Green Blood for their own supply, but have no fleet.

18 hours ago, Jadakiss said:

We know a good bit. We know the starks needed a 2 year siege to get the boltons to finally surrender. We know that Stannis chose not to go attack the dreadfort after Jon made it clear to him how strong the castle was, even with a small garrison. Thats why the Karstarks and Boltons actually wanted Stannis to attack the DF, would have been a death mission

House Stark and House Bolton on their own are equally powerful i would say so it would be pretty hard to attack a castle against a strong foe. Notthing is specified so we cannot know but it sounds like a stronger castle than the most being able to hold out for 2 years.

Also the fact that Jon didn't want him to attack the Dreadfort comes down to the fact that Stannis army is absolutley tiny and would bleed Stannis army out to much to be worth it.

1. Eyrie. Without a shadow of doubt. Assaults are impossible, two or three men could easily stop a attack. Small garrison means small consumption of resources, which means that they could hold it for a long time, even without new supplies.

Some people are claiming that because of the castle location it's impossible to bring supplies, but that's true for all castles. Nobody can just enter a castle under siege, the smuggling on Storm's End siege was a rare occasion that wouldn't happen again.

2. Greywater Watch. It moves which means that starvation is not a option, and is located on a swamp which means no siege engines.

3. Storm's End. It's thick and circular walls made catapults hard to destroy and easy to defend agains't ladders.

4. Riverrun. Water on all sides, the attackers can't use heavy armor or they'll drown and siege engines(like siege towers) are useless in the water.

5. Griffin's Roost. Surrounded by stone cliffs on three sides means that the attackers can only attack by one side, which is easy to defend agains't any attack

There is a gate at the griffins throat and other at the castle. They'll need to first pass through the throat and then start a proper siege agains't the castle itself.

Archived