Rogue One....Brings a New Hope. Full Spoiler Discussion

Suzanna Stormborn

1 minute ago, ab aeterno said:

They could always go the Obi-Wan route. No additional footage needed there.

21 is the path to the dark side. 21 leads to 22. 22 leads to 23. 23 leads to 24... 24... leads to the dark five... :P 

Nah, boarders just love being able to create thread titles.

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

This has never happened before in cinematic history has it?

What?  An actor dying while filming a role?

Happens fairly regularly.  Happened in the Harry Potter films.  Happened with Brandon Lee while filming The Crow.

Hard pressed to name a more notable occurrence I suppose.  I don't know how fans would react to seeing Fisher being CGI'd into Episode IX.  :dunno: 

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Happens fairly regularly.  Happened in the Harry Potter films.  Happened with Brandon Lee while filming The Crow.

Hard pressed to name a more notable occurrence I suppose.  I don't know how fans would react to seeing Fisher being CGI'd into Episode IX.  :dunno: 

Yeah I meant an actor dying before filming a whole nother movie they are scheduled to be part of where they simply cannot be replaced, like Michael Gambdon for Richard Harris worked, but they could never get a new actor to play Older Leia/General Organa.  I think CGI is their only choice.

3 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Not a fan of CGI Tarkin. I'd prefer it if they killed Leia off in VIII with reshoots, provided they don't bugger up the rest of the movie.

I could totally go for Kylo nearly turning to the Light Side before Leia dies in front of him.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think I'd definitely prefer it if they didn't do that. I'd rather have something similar to how the most recent Star Trek film acknowledged the death of Leonard Nimoy, I think they managed to make an off-screen death of his character feel meaningful. Of course, it's possible that Leia was intended to be a much more crucial part of the plot in Star Wars 9, which would make an off-screen death more difficult. 

From a purely technical point of view although some people are happy with it a lot of people seem to think the resurrected CGI characters are deep in the Uncanny Valley. 

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Well, the other obvious one is Heath Ledger.

I saw Rogue one with my brother and friend, and coming out we didn't even realise the CGI was CGI. We were talking about how well they'd done getting people to play Tarkin and Leia. Thought they'd done a pretty job of replicating them (and Mon Martha and Vader). 

Generally loved the movie. Only major issue was the ending which should have been a transmission. We could have seen Vader slaughtering his way through the ship to stop the rebels destroying the computers. They could have found where it was sent, as well as choking one of the bridge crew to find out what the transmission was (just "plans", hence the scene in EPIV where the senior officer says "if the rebels have a full technical readout of this station" - hence not knowing exactly what was transmitted). This could have involved the Mon Calamari Admiral giving the scene a bit more weight as we'd seen him a little bit. Other minor issues being:

• What was with everyone knowing the rebel base was on Yavin IV and giving the information out to unproven newcomers like Jyn and companions? This should have been HEAVILY protected. As it was, after Vader tortured a few of the prisoners he wouldn't have needed to interrogate Leia.
  • When Jyn and Cassian were taken by Saw's men, she shouldn't have announced she was Jyn Erso. That was a secret. They'd have gone "who?". Better if when talking about who she really was when first being interrogated where they said "Jyn ???, actually Jyn Erso" (or words to that effect) they'd added "Jyn Gerrara" into the middle. And then in that scene she could have called herself Jyn Gerrara. It would also have made a greater link between Jyn and Saw with hardly any additional script change.
  • As mentioned Leia shouldn't have been in the attack, but already on her way to Tatooine. And the droids should have always been with her.
  • The imperials sure did seem to enjoy having major discussions outside. Or maybe just Krennic. Krennic's two discussions with Galen Erso and his discussion with Vader were all outside. The first one made sense. The others? 

Oliver Reed died during the filming of Gladiator, so they cobbled together a shot of his saying "Shadows and dust" and used a body double when the soldiers came for him. Originally it was supposed to him who buried the figurines in the arena, not Djimon's character.

I haven't been following the series, but they rewrote one of the Fast and Furious movies during post production to explain Paul Walker's character's death.

Regardless how they handle it, I'm not through the grieving period yet to think about Leia's exit. :( 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Oliver Reed died during the filming of Gladiator, so they cobbled together a shot of his saying "Shadows and dust" and used a body double when the soldiers came for him. Originally it was supposed to him who buried the figurines in the arena, not Djimon's character.

I haven't been following the series, but they rewrote one of the Fast and Furious movies during post production to explain Paul Walker's character's death.

Regardless how they handle it, I'm not through the grieving period yet to think about Leia's exit. :( 

They didn't kill him off, just retired him. They used his brothers as body doubles + digital footage for those final scenes.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm with you on this. I'm sure that I will care in the months to follow, but now, it is all I can do to hold back the tears still. My Princess is gone...

I took my nephew and his wife to see Rogue One again yesterday, and here are things that I noticed for the first time after my 6th viewing.

1. The Hammerhead Corvette that pushed the disabled Star Destroyer into the other destroyer and the shield didn't make it, and it is clear that the move was preformed with this in mind. The entire crew died knowingly and willingly to bring the shield down. 

2. Baze repeats Chirrut's line in reverse as Chirrut is dying. I personally believe this is used as a method of telling us that these two are forever linked into covering for the other.

3. Leia's ship must have gone into light speed before being caught by Vader. The battle of Skerith took place on a planet with only one sun, and they were captured over a planet with two.

4. We did not see the planet Jedha, nor was anything on that planet destroyed. The holy city was located on a moon of Jedha. 

5 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I'm with you on this. I'm sure that I will care in the months to follow, but now, it is all I can do to hold back the tears still. My Princess is gone...

I took my nephew and his wife to see Rogue One again yesterday, and here are things that I noticed for the first time after my 6th viewing.

1. The Hammerhead Corvette that pushed the disabled Star Destroyer into the other destroyer and the shield didn't make it, and it is clear that the move was preformed with this in mind. The entire crew died knowingly and willingly to bring the shield down. 

2. Baze repeats Chirrut's line in reverse as Chirrut is dying. I personally believe this is used as a method of telling us that these two are forever linked into covering for the other.

3. Leia's ship must have gone into light speed before being caught by Vader. The battle of Skerith took place on a planet with only one sun, and they were captured over a planet with two.

4. We did not see the planet Jedha, nor was anything on that planet destroyed. The holy city was located on a moon of Jedha. 

1) Noticed that, too, on my 2nd viewing. The Hammerhead was still locked in with the destroyer as it started to fall.

2) Didn't notice that. Nice touch.

3) They show the ship going into light speed. It's the final shot just after Leia's "Hope"

4) I'm pretty sure the moon is called Jedha.

Also, just to be clear - I really liked this movie too. There were some issues with pacing early on, and the mindraping octopus makes it a real hard sell for my kids who would otherwise be pretty good with it (the balls of tentacles and teeth from TFA were similarly fear inducing), but when the movie gets Chirrut and Baze it really gets into high gear. 

I'm so curious what the actual director's cut was like. There are so many scenes that are simply gone - the TIE fighter that rises up at the tower with Jyn, her running along the beach with the datapad, Saw's monologue of 'what will you become', Vader on the death star. 

Vader slicing a guy in half while he's forcepulled on the ceiling remains the single baddest-assery Vader has ever done. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

They didn't kill him off, just retired him. They used his brothers as body doubles + digital footage for those final scenes.

And Vin Diesel has been talking with Walker's brothers about having them play their brother again in a future Furious movie along with various digital effects. Although not the one that's coming out in 2017; it'd be one of the ones after that (the 9th and 10th ones have already been confirmed for 2019 and 2021 releases). Which if that happens would put Walker in basically the same situation that Peter Cushing was in for Rouge One.

Archived