Rogue One....Brings a New Hope. Full Spoiler Discussion

Suzanna Stormborn

2 minutes ago, Wrl6199 said:

Wait who is chopper? are you talking about someone who is in rogue one? Or are you talking about someone who is in some other star wars thing. Did he get aspects of his personality latterly cut off. Was that why you put literally in brackets. Anyways just saw rogue one which was awesome.

Chopper is in Rogue One for about 2 seconds, but if you listen, you can hear his unmistakable voice very briefly. He is the asshole, yet lovable droid in Star Wars Rebels animated series. If you haven't seen this show, I would recommend it. It is on Disney XD so it is made for kids, but it has very good story telling, and it is starts five years prior to Episode 4 and will probably end in Rogue One time.

59 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

My understanding is that that is exactly what's happening. Given the rumours, Filoni will be heading up Lucasfilm animation and there'll be a second animated show set after RotJ.

Interesting, would fill in some blanks between Episodes VI and VII.

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

It is no rumor to Filoni heading up Lucasfilm Animation. He started that job in September. 

I really hope that they are not planning on ending Rebels with the crew going down at the battle of Skerith. That was fine for the Rogue One characters, but I have a multi year investment on the Rebel now and I don't want to see it end on the exact same note as this movie.

I meant more the post RotJ bit but my post wasn't very clear. :lol: It didn't look like the Ghost went down about Scarif, but I'd like to see some of the Ghost crew not make it, otherwise the series loses some of its impact. 

31 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Interesting, would fill in some blanks between Episodes VI and VII.

Yeah, that's what we're hoping for. I'm becoming quite convinced that Filioni can be relied on with this stuff. His instincts are in the right place for Star Wars.

2 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I should quantify my statements here as I am the one saying that I didn't like these characters as Star Wars characters. This might have been a little too harsh to say, because ultimately I did really like them as characters. 

I am delighted that Disney is giving us peeks at different sides of the Galaxy. I am really happy that they put out Rogue One, and I did absolutely love the movie. I hope they continue to do this. With that said, the stories I am drawn to in the Universe are the old fashioned, tried and true, good vs evil and hero's journey. I think we are living in a time period where it is too easy to just dismiss that out of hand. Earlier in the thread, someone said that a 2016 audience is too sophisticated for that. I do not believe that at all. 

Oh, I still love that good old epic good vs. evil stuff. I'm just saying they got that more than covered with the main film series, so I'm really happy to see them go a bit small and meaner for the side stories.

3 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

It is no rumor to Filoni heading up Lucasfilm Animation. He started that job in September. 

I really hope that they are not planning on ending Rebels with the crew going down at the battle of Skerith. That was fine for the Rogue One characters, but I have a multi year investment on the Rebel now and I don't want to see it end on the exact same note as this movie.

But then why weren't they in the original trilogy? You'd think that if the rebellion had two trained Jedi, it'd be something worth mentioning to Luke.

Hell, why weren't they at Scarif? It would have made getting the plans a lot more likely to succeed.

4 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

Wait who is chopper? are you talking about someone who is in rogue one? Or are you talking about someone who is in some other star wars thing. Did he get aspects of his personality latterly cut off. Was that why you put literally in brackets. Anyways just saw rogue one which was awesome.

He's the knock-off R2-D2 in the Rebels cartoon.  Except they try to make him the "cranky robot with a heart of gold".  And he "literally" takes off, because they continue the dumb idea started in the prequels that astromech droids can fly. (Except instead of mysterious thrusters on his legs, he has a giant rocket motor mounted on his underside). And for some reason his data appendage thingy is shaped like a claw, but miraculously still works in all the data receptacles.  I'm not a huge fan, if you couldn't tell.

58 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

But then why weren't they in the original trilogy? You'd think that if the rebellion had two trained Jedi, it'd be something worth mentioning to Luke.

Hell, why weren't they at Scarif? It would have made getting the plans a lot more likely to succeed.

Yes, they decided that they couldn't do a Star Wars cartoon without some quasi-Jedi in it.  And then added the "Inquisitors" just to have some quasi-Sith for them to fight.  And yes, they better be killed off, or it would make no sense as to why they weren't in the later movies.  Who knows if they're at the Battle of Scarif or not...we know that the Ghost is flying around, and that Hera at least is there.

9 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

The "literally" is in brackets is because he has a rocket and can fly short distances.

5 hours ago, HokieStone said:

He's the knock-off R2-D2 in the Rebels cartoon.  Except they try to make him the "cranky robot with a heart of gold".

Only he doesn't actually have heart of gold - he's just a bastard, with a nasty sense of humour. He's great!

5 hours ago, HokieStone said:

He's the knock-off R2-D2 in the Rebels cartoon.  Except they try to make him the "cranky robot with a heart of gold".  And he "literally" takes off, because they continue the dumb idea started in the prequels that astromech droids can fly. (Except instead of mysterious thrusters on his legs, he has a giant rocket motor mounted on his underside). And for some reason his data appendage thingy is shaped like a claw, but miraculously still works in all the data receptacles.  I'm not a huge fan, if you couldn't tell.

Yes, they decided that they couldn't do a Star Wars cartoon without some quasi-Jedi in it.  And then added the "Inquisitors" just to have some quasi-Sith for them to fight.  And yes, they better be killed off, or it would make no sense as to why they weren't in the later movies.  Who knows if they're at the Battle of Scarif or not...we know that the Ghost is flying around, and that Hera at least is there.

You seem somewhat... bitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this again this weekend, bigger screen better sound than the first time I saw it. Still loved it. Love that it's not fully of CGI monsters and such. Yeah there a some issues but this IMO will hold up to multiple re watches over time, and is a movie you will actually want to re watch as compared to the prequels.

Probably the only thing I can disagree with is where she says Vader is being made to look heroic at the end, which she doesn't think makes sense. I say he's not being made to look heroic, he's supposed to be absolutely terrifying. We are supposed to appreciate how exceptional he is, but we're not supposed to root for him to win.

Can't much argue with the rest of what she says, though. (One that struck me especially was Chirrut's death. It would be far, far better if it happened how she described)

IMO, best Star Wars movie since the Original Trilogy.

1 hour ago, AndrewJ said:

Probably the only thing I can disagree with is where she says Vader is being made to look heroic at the end, which she doesn't think makes sense. I say he's not being made to look heroic, he's supposed to be absolutely terrifying. We are supposed to appreciate how exceptional he is, but we're not supposed to root for him to win.

Can't much argue with the rest of what she says, though. (One that struck me especially was Chirrut's death. It would be far, far better if it happened how she described)

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Huh. This is bothering me now because I like this movie, but I can't really refute any of her points.

She's going through a list of what people liked about the movies and why they are weak reasons, but one thing is dead wrong, Vader is not presented heroically, but she's right that assumed knowledge is what makes the final Vader scene have impact. But still, I have that knowledge so it worked for me. I should be disappointed for non-Star Wars fans who have never seen the original movie trilogy?

I was disappointed with a lot of what she was disappointed with, so they are not reasons I liked the movie. Why did Forrest Whittaker have to die and no escape? Seemed dumb to me. But I just let that stuff roll.

I guess being the best movie since the OT is a low bar. Still it was good enough for me to keep my interest in the franchise.

Well, I rank The Force Awakens higher.

Immediately after watching Rogue One, I posted that I thought the first half was ok and the second half was great. But our YouTuber is very much correct in suggesting that the "great" battle scenes in the second half were still rather lacking in emotional weight. (Great spectacle but lacking in emotion).

And, for all its purported failings (some I agree with and some I don't), the one thing Force Awakens wasn't lacking was emotional weight. From Han's death (spoilerz!!!!), to Chewie's reaction, to Rey's fight with Ren, to Rey confronting Luke at the end (and a whole lot more along the way). And for me, that's what raises it above Rogue One and possibly above Jedi.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Yeah no TFA was better. I like Rogue One, but I can sit down and tell you what I liked about TFA, while I'm not sure I could do the same for Rogue One other than "I love Star Destroyers and Darth Vader".

I could do the same for TFA : "I love Episode 4: A New Hope".  See?

7 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Exactly. 

I can't really argue too much with the rest of her points  (in fact I completely agree re: Cassian), but I still really liked the movie overall. I can see myself rewatching it multiple times. They must have done something right. 

Archived