Rogue One....Brings a New Hope. Full Spoiler Discussion

Suzanna Stormborn

8 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

I'm coming back to this thread a little late. And others have already responded to the rest of your post quite well. So I don't really have anything further to add there.

But just on the bolded... errmmm... no. I've never said any such thing. I think you must be confusing me with someone else :) (In fact, I think my last post on Rogue One until yesterday was when I opened up the Spolier thread that preceded this one)

Ok, I guess the quote system is messed up or you were hacked because there are several posts with you name this week from page 5 of this thread, not page 1.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, AndrewJ said:

Well, I rank The Force Awakens higher.

Immediately after watching Rogue One, I posted that I thought the first half was ok and the second half was great. But our YouTuber is very much correct in suggesting that the "great" battle scenes in the second half were still rather lacking in emotional weight. (Great spectacle but lacking in emotion).

And, for all its purported failings (some I agree with and some I don't), the one thing Force Awakens wasn't lacking was emotional weight. From Han's death (spoilerz!!!!), to Chewie's reaction, to Rey's fight with Ren, to Rey confronting Luke at the end (and a whole lot more along the way). And for me, that's what raises it above Rogue One and possibly above Jedi.

As you can see by the date it was posted Tuesday, oh well Stranger Things have happened.

But as you can see your account did say that Rogue One first half was slow (you never said it was bad though and I am not saying you did). Your account then cites several things from TFA as reasons for TFA being much better, and all of those cited items, happened in the last 1/3 of TFA. I think, in my head, I interpreted that you were saying Rogue was worse because the beginning was slow and TFA was better because of it, so in my head I couldn't understand that. Nothing on you at all.

In prior canon when you jump to hyperspace you are stuck on that course. If you want to change course you have to drop out of hyperspace and recalculate. Your vector also allowed pursuing ships to guess your destination.

I suspect the latter is how the Empire tracked Leia's ship. They traced its route and Vader saw the path intersected his homeworld and thought, "Well, that can't be a coincidence." Or he used the Force and got a handy vision or something.

One problem with this is that both Rogue One and Rebels show that ships can change course without dropping out of hyperspace. Which raises questions about why you'd align your vector with your destination in the first place, given it can be so easily traced. You'd be better off jumping, then doing a course correction and no-one could follow you.

I guess I will ask one thing that I must have missed. Where are the engines on the Death Star? We have seen it from more than one angle and I don't remember seeing them. I think I assumed from previous movies that there are some engines to move it, but that it couldn't do hyperspace speeds. Now we see that it can. You would think an object that big would take massive visible engines to generate that speed. I have only seen the movies so I have no other form or book or media knowledge on this.

6 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Or you could use the instantaneous galaxy wide video call system that the Empire has that is much, much faster than Hyperspace and call ahead to the potential jump routes from scarif and say hey, there's a corvette potentially coming in, detain it immediately also should it come in immediately radio the Devastator.  

Ansibles? ;)

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

In prior canon when you jump to hyperspace you are stuck on that course. If you want to change course you have to drop out of hyperspace and recalculate. Your vector also allowed pursuing ships to guess your destination.

I suspect the latter is how the Empire tracked Leia's ship. They traced its route and Vader saw the path intersected his homeworld and thought, "Well, that can't be a coincidence." Or he used the Force and got a handy vision or something.

One problem with this is that both Rogue One and Rebels show that ships can change course without dropping out of hyperspace. Which raises questions about why you'd align your vector with your destination in the first place, given it can be so easily traced. You'd be better off jumping, then doing a course correction and no-one could follow you.

Right, in the X-Wing novels (mild cringe) the squadron would typically separate and then make multi-step jumps to return to a 'hidden' base in order to conceal the location of their base. Launder it, if you will. :)

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I guess I will ask one thing that I must have missed. Where are the engines on the Death Star? We have seen it from more than one angle and I don't remember seeing them. I think I assumed from previous movies that there are some engines to move it, but that it couldn't do hyperspace speeds. Now we see that it can. You would think an object that big would take massive visible engines to generate that speed. I have only seen the movies so I have no other form or book or media knowledge on this.

I don't think the hyperdrive depends on a vessel's sublight engines. True, when the Falcon goes into lightspeed, its engines light up a bit, but that's more Lucas putting in effects, and less thought. I always assumed the Death Star has a number of thrusters that it uses to put itself into an orbit, and the hyperdrive is just some internal engine that propels into into hyperspace.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I always assumed the Death Star has a number of thrusters that it uses to put itself into an orbit, and the hyperdrive is just some internal engine that propels into into hyperspace.

If it has thrusters at all - it might just keep whatever momentum it has when it emerges from hyperspace, with no ability to change course other than jumping to hyperspace again? It is described as a space station, not a ship.

20 minutes ago, felice said:

If it has thrusters at all - it might just keep whatever momentum it has when it emerges from hyperspace, with no ability to change course other than jumping to hyperspace again? It is described as a space station, not a ship.

Space stations have thrusters, too, to keep their orbit from decaying.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Ok, I guess the quote system is messed up or you were hacked because there are several posts with you name this week from page 5 of this thread, not page 1.

As you can see by the date it was posted Tuesday, oh well Stranger Things have happened.

Nah - no hacks or messed up systems.  We're in separate time zones and posting many hours apart. When I said that, those two posts were the ones I made "yesterday" - and one of them was the one you originally replied to saying I said something else earlier. But i hadn't posted anything on Rogue 1 since about the day the movie opened until that point. But by the time you read my latest post, those were no longer made "yesterday". :)

Anyway - just a case of mistaken identity, and time zone related confusion. Which I'm sure is enthralling to everyone. :laugh:

The Death Star moves with antigrav technology (repulsorlifts) rather than massive ion engines. I think in the old canon it said that repulsorlifts require gravity to act against, most ships are too small to make it more effective than using thrusters. But the Death Star is so huge its repulsorlifts allow it to push against stars and planets to move around. It also doesn't require much fine manoeuvring, only getting in and out of orbit around stars and planets.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The Death Star moves with antigrav technology (repulsorlifts) rather than massive ion engines. I think in the old canon it said that repulsorlifts require gravity to act against, most ships are too small to make it more effective than using thrusters. But the Death Star is so huge its repulsorlifts allow it to push against stars and planets to move around. It also doesn't require much fine manoeuvring, only getting in and out of orbit around stars and planets.

That's cool, but what did they do after the Death Star blew up Alderaan? It seems a bit risky to use a transportation technology that's dependent on gravity when your station's main purpose is to essentially destroy gravity wells.

It also requires them to ensure that they exist hyperspace close enough to a large body that it can use its gravity. So Vader's line about the fleet emerging too close to the planet in ESB would not be applicable to the Death Star. (not that it needs to be) :P

On 1/11/2017 at 4:58 PM, Corvinus said:

What about the Jedi starfighters? Or Dooku's sail ship?

I thought Dooku's little ship seemed large enough to have a very compact living space, not unlike a semi truck with a sleeper cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived