Unsolved Mystery from season 1

A Bong of Ice and Fire

So who was behind the assassination attempt on Bran in Winterfell and why?  The show has never addressed this, except for having Catelyn accuse Tyrion of the crime.  Of course the Gods judged Tyrion innocent in trial by combat.

I know the theory from the books (although the books also never outright say who did it), but I am curious what show only watchers think.  As far as I recall, the show offers no hints.

18 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

So who was behind the assassination attempt on Bran in Winterfell and why?  The show has never addressed this, except for having Catelyn accuse Tyrion of the crime.  Of course the Gods judged Tyrion innocent in trial by combat.

I know the theory from the books (although the books also never outright say who did it), but I am curious what show only watchers think.  As far as I recall, the show offers no hints.

Well this might be far fetched but this bit:

Coupled with this bit, pretty much puts the blame on LittleFinger :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhI0KqNNTw

Littlefinger was in King's Landing and ravens would have taken time and would be too risky, it was not him. He did lie about the dagger when it came up with Cat and Ned when they met at his Brothel/Office but that was just him taking an opportunity to sow more distrust between Stark and Lannister. Joffrey was the one and inadvertently, it sowed the seeds for war with suspicion upon his real father and mother (Uncle/Daddy Jaime and Queen Cersei). Joffrey overheard King Robert saying that the boy is better off dead and it is suspected by Cersei and Jaime that Joff, in his twisted mind, thought that it was actually "a good thing" to do. Kinda like him telling Sansa he gave her father Ned "mercy" with a clean death instead of torture. Joff is the culprit.

On 12/28/2016 at 6:38 AM, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

it was Cersei. Trying to make sure Bran never reveals her secret lover. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's Littlefinger plus another person working with him. When Catelyn showed Littlefinger the dagger, he told them who the dagger belongs to mere seconds later. I know he's smart, but could he really have made up that entire "It was mine but I gave it to Tyrion" plan on the spot? We all know every little thing Littlefinger does is a part of a much larger plan, including framing Tyrion. But there's no way he could have orchestrated the entire thing while being miles away from the scene, so someone had to work with him.  

In a similar vein, who is responsible for the massacre of Robert's bastards? Show!Cersei admitted to Tyrion that she was not the one who ordered it and implied that she thought Joffrey responsible. 

However we never got confirmation on any of that. Was it Joffrey? Was it Littlefinger in an attempt to destabilize the Lannisters? Was it Varys in an attempt to destabilize the Lannisters?

Was it Cersei after all and she lied to Tyrion? She's not that good of a liar.

I thought it was either Joffrey or Littlefinger, actually i thought the show explained it to be Littlefinger in S4 but I may be wrong.  Joffrey posioning does get explained it was Littlefinger and Olenna who planned it and the poison was put in by Olenna from Sansa's necklace which was given to her by Ser Dontas.

Yes it was Joffrey who commanded the gold cloaks to kill Roberts bastards, I've just watched season 2 again and it's clear.

I just don't understand Joffrey's desires or motivations at that point in the story to want to have Bran killed. It makes no sense. Plus I highly doubt Joffrey's capabilities off executing a plan to have Bran killed without Littlefinger, Cersei or Varys becoming aware of it. Cersei to hide the truth or Littlefinger to cause chaos then simply lying about it is the only things that make any sense

21 minutes ago, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

I just don't understand Joffrey's desires or motivations at that point in the story to want to have Bran killed. It makes no sense. Plus I highly doubt Joffrey's capabilities off executing a plan to have Bran killed without Littlefinger, Cersei or Varys becoming aware of it. Cersei to hide the truth or Littlefinger to cause chaos then simply lying about it is the only things that make any sense

Robert mentioned that letting Bran die would've been kinder than living in misery as a cripple. Joffrey definitely had the daddy issues that he wanted to impress his father by doing something he couldn't, coupled with the innate cruelty to murder a crippled chlid in his bed. Plus he's one of the few people boneheaded enough to arm an assassin with a very traceable weapon.

I've heard that reasoning. I mean I guess.....I just don't buy it. I mean Joff is dumb and a psycho but why would killing his father's best friends son win him respect? Especially because he never tried to claim the credit in any way. And like I said earlier, Joff would have to go through channels of people and connections to make it happen that would be hard to keep it secret. That is valuable and dangerous information. I guess the straight forward LF makes the most sense but maybe Cersei too. I just don't buy or understand Joffrey doing it.

On 07/03/2017 at 2:20 AM, FoyeTwenty Boston said:

I've heard that reasoning. I mean I guess.....I just don't buy it. I mean Joff is dumb and a psycho but why would killing his father's best friends son win him respect? Especially because he never tried to claim the credit in any way. And like I said earlier, Joff would have to go through channels of people and connections to make it happen that would be hard to keep it secret. That is valuable and dangerous information. I guess the straight forward LF makes the most sense but maybe Cersei too. I just don't buy or understand Joffrey doing it.

Well Cersei was sanitized beyond belief in the TV show, so I doubt it was her (at least on the show). I'm pretty much in the camp that LF was behind all three 1) Bran's assassination attempt 2) the massacre of the bastards 3) instigating Joffrey to behead Ned.

The big hole in the theory is of course that we have never seen Joffrey and Baelish interact, but well isn't that what LF is all about? Doeing things without being seen? 

Archived