Football: Reds Rising!!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Liverpool consider January move for Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Hmm..not sure Arsenal will sell him to us.He would be a good addition as a squad player though.Klopp might just be able to take him to the next level,something which Wenger has not done.

Please happen. Would love to never see him play for Arsenal again. 

Yeah, if this transfer does happen, Ox will be a bench player. Liverpool have good options up front and chance creation + goal scoring is not an issue. Even Mane heading to AFCON isn't going to be as big a miss as some are making out, especially with Coutinho's return to fitness. Liverpool's number one priority should be bringing in a LB - Moreno is good going forward but dodgy to say the least when it comes to defending. This would also make Milner available to bolster the midfield options.

16 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/814457146624638976

Quincy Promes is the name being reported by reliable Liverpool journalists as a player we want to go for in Jan to fill in for Mane while he is at AFCON. 

Not sure how good he is in real life, but that dude is awesome in FIFA 17.

7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Liverpool consider January move for Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Hmm..not sure Arsenal will sell him to us.He would be a good addition as a squad player though.Klopp might just be able to take him to the next level,something which Wenger has not done.

This won't happen. Klopp commented on it today. I wish it would though. Ox doesn't have a football brain and will never be more than he is today, which is mediocre.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've not seen anything from the really reliable Liverpool journalists, like Joyce and Barrett, about Promes. It seems like the rumours might just be based on the fact that he and Wijnaldum are mates.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-klopp-signing-spartak-quincy-12199722

Pearce is pretty reliable 

Oxlade-Chamberlain?

I don't think Klopp will go for him. 

Klopp's public position has been, "If we [Liverpool FC], sign somebody, he has to be better than our current players." There are two reasons for that, one being he doesn't want to block the way for Academy players. So is the Ox an upgrade/a potential starter? Maybe our resident gunners will disagree, but I don't think he is. The other one. Liverpool does not have any European competition to play in this year. So a small squad is easier to manage/keep happy. As there are more games per player. So I can see why Klopp does not want to mess with his locker room chemistry by making a panic buy to replace Mane who will probably back in a month after the AFCON. That's what 6 games or 8 games? And the new signing would also need some time to settle in. Not to mention that Coutinho is also coming back from his injury. 

I cannot see Wenger selling Ox to a rival in the January window.  If we did get him, he'd be a decent back-up but is that what he wants?  I saw the Promes speculation several weeks ago but that seemed to go cold.  I disagree that we need a LB though.  Aside from a couple of errors (equalizer at Spurs, penalty for Bournemouth) Milner has been one of the best LBs in the entire PL and he's rarely injured.  Moreno is a better back-up LB than most clubs have.  

The difficult decision for Klopp is whether Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria and Ojo are ready now to be back-ups at RB, MF and winger respectively.  Ox conceivably could cover any or all of those positions.  The youth players have a lot of goodwill from the fans but that's no guarantee they could slot into the team and not be a weak link.  Woodburn is more a third tier back-up who reached the bench as Coutinho, Sturridge and Ings were all injured, so less pressure for him to be ready now. 

Well, the problem is, they need competitive matches to improve. If you don't give them time on the pitch, how are they supposed to improve? Will they make mistakes? Probably. But that's also part of the learning process. So bench signings do not make sense from that perspective. And youth players are probably less likely to demand more playing time, then an established EPL player. 

And if that's what Klopp wants, why did he offload a few bench players in the summer, without signing new ones?

So I wouldn't really be too surprised if Klopp and the LFC really do not sign anybody in January. Unless some player suffers a season ending injury, like a broken leg, or rupture cruciate ligaments. That might force Liverpool's hand. But generally speaking you do your signings in summer, if you have to go shopping in the winter window, then something has gone seriously wrong.

Archived