Football: Reds Rising!!

AncalagonTheBlack

Rashford should have had a couple of goals to his name. He looks a bit short on confidence but his pace is causing problems. Martial has been excellent. Reading defenders are scared of him and keep backing off. Mata is having a good game as well except for the finishing.

Man Utd in quite a form. Almost like with Fergie when they usually picked up their pace. Will be interesting to see next PL match at Old Trafford. Key for both teams whether for top 4 or title. And yes, Man Utd fo have a chance for it, don't even go with bs we ain't gonna fight for it. Chelsea will drop couple more points against Leicester and then Liverpool with Arsenal. Fatigue, not enough rotation and dodgy defence like against Stoke or Tottenham.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Arsenal putting on another poor showing so far. Fortunate to be only the one goal down.

It's really really bad. Arsenal deserves be losing 3-0 or more by now. Lucky that Preston has fluffed so many opportunities. Our midfield is horrendous. Not sure I've even seen Chamberlain touch the ball once and I hate Ramsey with a passion. 

We're out of the FA Cup. 

Ah, well, hope we'll improve next league game. Couldn't see this one, listened to it a bit, and it seems we're struggling to contain other teams defensively. The presence of Barry is noted.

Hum, let's see if I can figure out what they were ranting about.

I watched quite a bit of EPL football in the late 1990s and the 2000s. I also played a lot of FM (or CM as it was originally called). So I just need a British Passport and a Premier League club to manage. Damn British muppets are best muppets.

Merson and Thompson are xenophobic, deluded as to the strength of the Premier League and Silva's CV, but still the idea that young British managers don't get enough of a shot in the PL has some merit. Not because all Brits somehow 'know the league' in a way that foreigners will never be able to, but as young and innovative local managerial talent is good for the health of the competition. Managers are generally at their most paradigm shifting early on in their career, before their new ideas catch on and become standard. Also, giving previously untested coaches their break also allows the lower clubs a calibre of manager that they would otherwise struggle to attract.

But it isn't Marco Silva who is stopping them from having a chance, it is the likes of Pardew and (post-Bolton) Allardyce getting job after job despite rather turgid football. Such a short-term attitude makes it impossible for young managers to get a shot. The FA also has to take a lot of blame as the quality of young coaches is pretty poor, making that option seem less appealing - there are too many Tim Sherwoods and not enough Gary Rowetts.

49 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Merson and Thompson are xenophobic, deluded as to the strength of the Premier League and Silva's CV, but still the idea that young British managers don't get enough of a shot in the PL has some merit. Not because all Brits somehow 'know the league' in a way that foreigners will never be able to, but as young and innovative local managerial talent is good for the health of the competition. Managers are generally at their most paradigm shifting early on in their career, before their new ideas catch on and become standard. Also, giving previously untested coaches their break also allows the lower clubs a calibre of manager that they would otherwise struggle to attract.

But it isn't Marco Silva who is stopping them from having a chance, it is the likes of Pardew and (post-Bolton) Allardyce getting job after job despite rather turgid football. Such a short-term attitude makes it impossible for young managers to get a shot. The FA also has to take a lot of blame as the quality of young coaches is pretty poor, making that option seem less appealing - there are too many Tim Sherwoods and not enough Gary Rowetts.

Merson and Thompson want famous retired players to get jobs not guys like Rowett. 

5 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Merson and Thompson want famous retired players to get jobs not guys like Rowett. 

In the video they do specifically mention Rowett. I'm certainly not agreeing with those two generally, but in the course of making their awful argument they touch on an important issue.

Well, from the club's perspective the whole let's hire a foreigner to manage our team has some merit, from the outside at least.

The most succesful managers in the EPL in the past couple of decades were non-British (also the longest serving ones). The sole exception being Alex Ferguson. 

The other British managers did not really win anything, and they also did not really get the clubs to win trophies (exception again being Alex Ferguson). 

Chelsea had for the better part of that period Mourinho, and before that Ranieri. Liverpool had a long pretty succesful relationship with Benitez, Arsenal had and still has Wenger (that Piers Morgan is raging over him still being in charge is a bonus, but that's a different story). And Wenger was arguably the most influential Manager in the EPL. He changed the way how British Teams play football, and he was the one that paved the way for the other foreigners. 

What were the big and upcoming British managerial talents? Rodgers and Moyes. Rogers respectable (to say the least) stay with Liverpool. Yet, he won nothing (he came close though). Moyes failed spectacularly at Man United. Admitted United was the most ungrateful job to take over. Over aged squad, desperately in need for a rebuild and succeeding the legend Ferguson.

I mean not even the FA wanted to hire a Brit to manage the Three Lions for how long before Hodgson took over? 

Of course fans also play a role, who prefer a veteran with a sound to their name to take over their midtable club over a succesful Championship Manager or SPL Manager. The idea that Giggs, Beckham, Gerrard or the Neville's should be offered a PL club without managing experience of course crazy. Because being a good player and being a good Manager/Headcoach are two different skill sets. Talking about Championship managers who could be worth a try on a higher level. I think Wagner is doing a fairly reasonable job at Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

In the video they do specifically mention Rowett.

Largely because they can't name another young English manager who could credibly have got the Hull job.

20 hours ago, mormont said:

Largely because they can't name another young English manager who could credibly have got the Hull job.

As a follow-up, Merson did manage to name another candidate: that well-known young Englishman, Thierry Henry.

As dopey as Merson is, I think there is a bit of a problem for British managers. To get appointed at a mid / top level club in the Prem you have to have achieved something of note; won a cup, done well in Europe etc, played good modern football. I think thats a pretty reasonable ask because it lowers the risk of failure when you come in. 

How can any British manager do that if he's only managing British clubs. The only options are lower league and get promoted. However the way the cards are stacked against you as a smaller club means its impossible to truly do well in the prem long term, so invariably you are fighting relegation each year. Finances and money are too huge a factor. 

So the only option then is to go abroad and do well. Mostly however, due to the way the British media works, you'll end up forgotten. Or you'll do a Gary Neville and be a disaster because you need to adapt very quickly, and well.. us Brits are pretty poor at our foreign speaking innit!

I'm confused at how this 'problem' is not the fault of the British managers for being a bit rubbish.

In fact, any British manager who does even moderately well gets touted for the top jobs and as often as not, appointed to them. Moyes got the Man U job on the basis of doing moderately well with Everton. Sherwood got the Spurs job on the basis of doing, erm, nothing except win a couple of matches as caretaker. If anything, the 'achieved something of note' bar is set much lower for Brits, and amounts to 'win a few games'.

Archived