Football: Reds Rising!!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I think it's very encouraging indeed.

I didn't watch today's game but given Swansea managed to score 3 goals against a better Liverpool defence with Clyne back while United only managed 1 which should have been ruled out I'm not sure it's a great look for them either. 

Mane seems to be a big loss for the way Klopp wants to play. If you've got a wide forward constantly flying in from his wing in behind the defence it's not too big of a deal to play a false 9 up front but without it there seems to be a real lack of penetration. Added to that Lallana looks half the player further forward and Can hasn't been an adequate replacement in midfield.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I didn't watch today's game but given Swansea managed to score 3 goals against a better Liverpool defence with Clyne back while United only managed 1 which should have been ruled out I'm not sure it's a great look for them either.

Not really. Your CBs and defending in general was shit today whereas your lot defended very well against us and in the win against City. Conceding three goals against a club that was at the bottom of the table (at home) is a much worse look for Liverpool -- it does not reflect on United at all, tbh -- and is the old problems rearing their ugly head again.

Horrific.  Matip's absence mattered again -- his eligibility confirmed too late to change the team plan -- as the CBs struggled, but our MF was dire.  Moving Lallana is too much of a sacrifice, Can is dire and the other two weren't much better.  We got swamped in MF and our 4-3-3 couldn't stretch their compact formation for lack of a deep run threat and lost coordination in our press and possession. 

It feels like our season has been unraveling for the last two months.  And in that period we've been the opposite of Arsenal: conceding the last goal or missing the late chances to take points. 

Really disappointing result. Another two points dropped. Our league position is an accurate reflection of where we are atm. Genuine title challengers would have found a way to win that game. We have a good side but just lack that killer instinct of a top team. Good thing Liverpool, Arsenal and City aren't looking too clever either.

Very encouraging for Everton today. Dominating posession in the first half (we should do better with creating chances, but we won't get everything), and keeping Palace to just one (albeit dangerous) shot on goal. Plus scoring a good goal at the end. 

Tom Davies getting another assist as well, Holgate looking good, and Lookman coming on and looking assured. I like what I'm seeing.

26 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So should the thread title be changed?

I suggest: "Andy Carroll Rising". 

West Ham actually looked good until Noble and Carroll left the pitch.  Pedro Obiang had a spectacular game.  

Not sure Byram's going to be good enough for the Premier League.  His positioning is awful.  Traore was terrorizing him in the second half.  There was a rumour that West Ham were in for Kieran Trippier, which would be awesome if true.  I really don't think Daniel Levy would let him go, not to West Ham, even if the player wanted to leave Spurs which doesn't seem to be the case.  But I'm a big fan of him.  He had a great season with Burnley last time they were in the Prem. 

9 hours ago, baxus said:

Yeah, the fact smaller clubs get point(s) off Bayern so often you feel the need to point it out when it happens speaks volumes. ;) 

More like, why bother making that point to people who watch maybe 5 Bundesliga games a year.

And not taking off points from Bayern and rolling over backwards are two different things, you know. You do know, right?

City's attacking strategy of deliberately putting players offside and then sending the runners not from the second line of attack but from even deeper is quite clever. Spurs don't know whether they're coming or going.

Not really sustainable though, I think they might regret not having scored.

Yeah, that should have been a sending off. Even worse, Spurs equalize just after that. Frustrating if you're a City fan. City have been good getting forward but that defence looks like they are on holiday - doesn't matter what combination of players are being used. Pretty clear the area that Pep needs to focus on in the transfer market (and on the training field).

Archived