The 7 Kingdom based on the 7 Anglo-Saxon kingdoms?

Feologild

This has probably been up before. But are the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros based or inspired by the 7 Ango-Saxon Kingdoms ?

7 Kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England. 
East Anglia 
Essex 
Kent 
Mercia 
Northumbria 
Sussex 
Wessex

So are the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros based or inspired bu the 7 Kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England ?

1 hour ago, Feologild said:

This has probably been up before. But are the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros based or inspired by the 7 Ango-Saxon Kingdoms ?

7 Kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England. 
East Anglia 
Essex 
Kent 
Mercia 
Northumbria 
Sussex 
Wessex

So are the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros based or inspired bu the 7 Kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England ?

Truthfully, yes, I think that despite other influences that may have been added later, Martin's original concept was to broadly base the 7 Kingdoms on the former kingdoms that occupied current day England (and maybe a bit of Wales). With the Wall representing Hadrian's wall, and the Wildlings the Scottish tribes beyond it.

17 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Truthfully, yes, I think that despite other influences that may have been added later, Martin's original concept was to broadly base the 7 Kingdoms on the former kingdoms that occupied current day England (and maybe a bit of Wales). With the Wall representing Hadrian's wall, and the Wildlings the Scottish tribes beyond it.

Yes, that was my first impression, too, when I read AGoT for the first time. 

Look at this map of ancient Northumbria, for example. (But zoom in until Northumbria fills most of your screen. Then the resemblance becomes really apparent).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Anglo-Saxon_Heptarchy.jpg

From East to West, if you consider a map of the North, you can effectively see the blueprint for the Widow's Watch peninsula, the Bite next to it, the mouth of the White Knife and the fork in the river that is situated around Winterfell (represented by York on this map).

Moving West, you can easily see the Barrowlands (with Manchester representing Barrowton), the Rills, and the Stony Shore and Sea Dragon point further North. In fact, you can even see Bear Island (represented by the Isle of Man), and the outline of the Frozen Shore to its North.

The North was clearly based on ancient Northumbria.

Yes, the history of Westeros is heavily inspired by British history. Among the major inspirations, the 7 kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England, Aegon is William the Conqueror, the Dance of the Dragons is The Anarchy, and RR and the WOT5K are based on the Wars of the Roses.

On 29/12/2016 at 1:36 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Look at this map of ancient Northumbria, for example. (But zoom in until Northumbria fills most of your screen. Then the resemblance becomes really apparent).

From East to West, if you consider a map of the North, you can effectively see the blueprint for the Widow's Watch peninsula, the Bite next to it, the mouth of the White Knife and the fork in the river that is situated around Winterfell (represented by York on this map).

Moving West, you can easily see the Barrowlands (with Manchester representing Barrowton), the Rills, and the Stony Shore and Sea Dragon point further North. In fact, you can even see Bear Island (represented by the Isle of Man), and the outline of the Frozen Shore to its North.

I can really see it, and I agree, all except for the fact that as my home is the only place marked on the east coast of the Anglo-Saxon map and your description would I think, have me living in either the Dreadfort or Karhold. I simply have to spit my dummy out and disagree.  Cos I ain't being a Karstark or a Bolton. OK. ;)  

On 12/29/2016 at 8:36 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Man, that's not the resemblance I saw... I should go wash my eyes out with soap and get my mind out of the gutter. 

I vaguely remember an interview where GRRM lamented the fact that he chose there to be 7 Kingdoms, musing the 5 might have been sufficient. So considering that, it might be that it wasn't based on that and that GRRM just chose a pretty number.

Archived