Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Closest I could come to someone who might be a match :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egill_Skallagrímsson#cite_note-:0-5

If that is the case, Hirst needn't ever complain about fantasy or claim any historical basis for his show ever again IMO. Harald Fairhair, or Harald Hårfagre, was a mortal enemy of Egil Skallagrimssons father, Skalla-Grimr.

Furthermore, Egil Skallagrimsson went on to fight on the side of Athelstan in the battle of Brunanhburh.

The only reasonable plot is if Egil is there to... kill Fairhair? It's still a mess, sort of like catering to modern feminist sentiment by interjecting an outspoken adulturess, or a chinese woman with strange drugs turning the head of Ragnar. Surely THAT could never happen?

30 minutes ago, Swagwell said:

If that is the case, Hirst needn't ever complain about fantasy or claim any historical basis for his show ever again IMO.

He's past that point  since Season 1 IMO. I mean, as much as I enjoy the show (it has its ups and its downs, but I find it entertaining for the most part), it has always been a mixed bag when it comes to historical accuracy (or perhaps I should say what it reasonable to assume based on the sources we have from the time period).

That episode continued the regular Vikings standard nowadays, I liked some parts and disliked some.

England was awful. Judith is terrible and I really dislike her. Like you guys said earlier, she manages to make anyone arguing against her sympathetic, especially Aella. The Ecbert and Alfred scene wasn't much better and just felt necessary. I don't really think that Alfred needs that much development at this stage and Ecbert's continued neglect of his own flesh and blood grandson in favour of Athelstan Jr is awful.

Lagertha talks a big game about making Kattegat and then let's herself and her warriors get played out that easily? She is truly making Kattegat great again (she's even built a wall!). At least she got a cool new shortsword/seax.

I really liked Ivar and Floki's scenes. The have chemistry and the relationship between the characters feels real. I have been waiting to see them together and they didn't disappoint. I even accept the chariot even if it is kinda dumb and doesn't fit into the time period. Floki overall was pretty great this episode. Now that Fimmel is gone I'm crowing Gustaf Skarsgård the best actor on the show. Helga and the girl is a bit weird but I can accept it.

I don't like how they are making Ivar out the be a bad ass boss-man at the cost of his brothers, but otherwise I'm liking the brothers more and more. Ubbe especially, but even Sigurd is growing on me, if only the could stop with the constant bitching between him and Ivar. The relationship with the slave girl continues to be weird though.

I liked the scenes with Rollo too. I liked that they opened up for the eventual Norse settlement of Normandy again after clumsily closing the door for it at the start of the season. Gisela socking Rollo was also pretty great.

I like the H-bros but I wonder if they ever are going to get something significant to do or some much needed development (especially Halfdan) before they go fully down the antagonistic route? As of right now their presence feels kinda unnecessary and their plotting tedious. this whole plot also run the risk on getting drawn out for way too long, like the Kalf and Erlendur plots of earlier seasons. Right now it feels like they are just wasting two good actors and two character with good potential

Bjorn has been disappointing all this half-season. Alexander Ludwig's acting has been very one-note and Bjorn's only facial expression has been angry-while-trying-to-look-hard. Which is very unfortunately now that he is actually getting more and more of the focus. It is also unfortunate that the Mediterranean expedition got cut short, but I've heard rumours that they might be going back there next season, so we'll see how that goes. The Astrid make-out session makes no sense and was really bad. I don't look forward to Bjorn getting tangled up in another love triangle (love square? love quadrat?). The episode even made me feel a little bit bad for Torvi, even if she still sucks.

I just realized Rollo and Floki are now the only people out of the original boat crew that are still alive.  

Also for as many problems as I have had with the show over the years and considering how much of bloodthirsty lunatic the character is  as a disabled person this really spoke to me

Sigurd is really starting to grow on me, and I wouldnt have bet on that a few episodes ago... and Hvitserk continues to be useless...

Otherwise, yeah, very few character still remaining from the very first season : Rollo, Floki, Helga, Lagertha, Bjorn, Aelle ( and Torvi ?)

So we are to believe that the sons of Ragnar were able to get the drop that easily on Lagertha? And then, while doing so, not notice an entire fleet of Viking ships coming to port?

Best part of episode for me was Ivar and Floki. I am not a historian by any stretch, but wasn't that a roman chariot Floki had? I guess we are to assume he found it while raiding and brought it back. Or saw it and built a similar one for him?

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

So we are to believe that the sons of Ragnar were able to get the drop that easily on Lagertha? And then, while doing so, not notice an entire fleet of Viking ships coming to port?

Best part of episode for me was Ivar and Floki. I am not a historian by any stretch, but wasn't that a roman chariot Floki had? I guess we are to assume he found it while raiding and brought it back. Or saw it and built a similar one for him?

I had the impression Floki built the chariot from the prow of a ship.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I had the impression Floki built the chariot from the prow of a ship.

The timing of where they just came from and the look and design is just so roman. For a Viking to use the prow of a ship like that would make sense, like his own personal boat.

Well, In Ragnar Lodbrok's Saga he's carried around on a shield like this dude.

I suspect that this war chariot is something that Hirst & co have come up with because they want Ivar to take a more active role (read:get involved in the fighting, rather than "just" leading/shouting out commands from the rear) in the upcoming battles against the Saxons. 

In any case, I would be very surprised if there is any historical basis/justification for the inclusion of a war chariot into 8th-9th century Scandinavia (afaik war chariots went out of style almost a millennium before the Viking Age started, and I have never seen any evidence that they were used by Vikings).

I'm finally all caught up. 

Main thoughts so far

General: 

1. It is just blatantly stupid how women didn't age a day in ten years. 

2. Sigurd needs a makeover. That hair. God, why. 

3. Bjorn is not a family guy, is he? 

4. Not Athelstan again. Why are they so obsessed with him? 

5. A massive part of the script feels like a pointless excuse to give this and that actor/actress a scene. 

6. What were these people doing for the past ten years? 

Ragnar: 

So his plan was to avenge the settlers but the loss they suffered at sea made it impossible, so he gave himself up to get killed and motivate his sons to avenge him (and the settlers) and screw Eckbert anyways? At the same time it felt like he was lost and had no purpose and just waited for death to come to him. I guess those are not mutually exclusive and he wanted to go to England because he wanted to die but also wanted to redeem himself and thought that he would die a death that helps. His death episode was heart wrecking, Travis is great. 

Bjorn&Torvi: 

Bjorn is alright, he is the new leader, he is a horrible father, he is fed up with Torvi... oh Torvi... well Torvi is one expesive accessory in this show. The hair and costume design and it's probably safe to say that Georgia Hirst got nice money for those three minutes of screen time she has. Not that we need more of her. It would have been nice to see some establishment to the Lagertha/Torvi coalition. are these two friends? 

Lagertha: 

The show got to the point where I dislike Lagertha. Her storyline makes less sense than Ragnar's magic Chinese herbs storyline. She wants to avenge Aslaug and get back her husband and home. Okay. So why sit around in Hedeby for ten years petting snow owls? Why didn't she go and look for Ragnar? Why didn't she attack Kattegat sooner? Why didn't she kill Aslaug sooner? What was she waiting for? Why now? And why shoot Aslaug? Why in the back? She wanted revenge. Okay. But why did she choose his particular time to take it instead of any other moment in the past ten years? And from her speech about Ragnar's death it seemed to me like she was counting on being Ragnar's queen and not ruling herself. So once again, why wait ten years and not act sooner? 

Ubbe&Hvitserk&Sigurd: 

No looks, no personality. We have five ragnarsons. We are supposed to be drooling over the screen throughout the entire episode. And then they give Sigurd that hair. Out of the three Hvitserk has the least personality. Sigurd has his Freudian age issues because his mom didn't love him and this gives some substance to his relationship with Ivar. Ubbe is the oldest of Aslaug's sons so he is some sort a leader among them, as well as the most mature and enlightened son. But Hvitserk is really just a background piece. 

Floki&Helga: 

I'm glad Floki made peace with Ragnar. Helga is sweet as ever but her sudden empty nest syndrome was unbased. The let's have another baby line raises one too many issues. How old are these people? Were they deliberately trying to not have a baby in the past 15 years? Are we supposed to assume they didn't have sex or Helga used some method to terminate any unwanted pregnancy? Fertility issues? I don't understand. 

Rollo: 

So this was a wild weekend in Vegas Viking style? Honey, I'm so bored, I need to go and raid a couple towns with the pals, be back by Monday. Show me some internal emotional conflict. And Gisla! God she is still a bitch. 

England: 

Aethelwulf has the heart of a sheep. His wife has been sleeping with his father for 15 years and now she even talks down to him and he just sits and endures. And eckbert is clearly favoring Alfred, but Aethelwulf has a son with Judith, doesn't he ever want his own son to become king as opposed to a bastard from yet another man his wife cheated with? Eckbert is awesome as usual, Judith... goodness me, just die already. Aelle is a very sick person. And That family dinner... this is kinda what the Tarlys should have felt like.

Aslaug: 

Well that escalated quickly.  I would have really loved to know what her plan was, where she was going to go, how she was going to fight back... it's pretty sad because I hated Aslaug for 3,5 seasons and she gets killed just when I was starting to appreciate her. 

Ivar: 

That kid is the best actor on the show ATM. I love Ivar's relationships. With Ragnar, with Aslaug, with Floki. The best scenes were the ones between Ragnar and Ivar. But they really need to do something about the crawling, it's vile. It makes him so inhuman, he is a prince for god's sake. 

Best scene so far was the ravens and everybody (especially Bjorn) finding out about Ragnar's death. 

I was disappointed that they didn't go on to Italy. And the Great Army things seems to be moving forward much faster than I anticipated. 

It looks like Hirsh is learning a bit. France was utter shit, but we only had to spend one minute there. On second thought Paris is a silly place, let's not go there.

Maybe my expectations are lower than they used to be for this show, but I'm really liking 4B so far. I liked pretty much everything in the newest episode other than the Judith scenes. And even those at least have Aelle. The end with Bjorn was weird, but whatever. I'm really starting like Ubbe too. Now at least half of Ragnar's sons by Aslaug are interesting to me. I loved Floki's line about Rollo out shining them all. I'm probably enjoying the show more than I have since S2 honestly.

I'm enjoying it too. I think 4B so far is much better than 4A. Sure, there are some stupid things (Floki lockpicking, Lagertha's 180 change), but the pacing has improved a lot. I was worried the show wouldn't be able to go on without Ragnar, but it seems I was wrong. I disliked all of Ragnar's sons at first, but now I find both Ubbe and Ivar interesting. Sigurd is showing some development too, but I can't take him seriously with that hairstyle :ack:. I still think the show desparately needs some cool side-characters though. Like Torstein and the others in the first season. Instead we got Astrid.... Has there ever been a worst character than her? I cringe everytime she appears.

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

I'm enjoying it too. I think 4B so far is much better than 4A. Sure, there are some stupid things (Floki lockpicking, Lagertha's 180 change), but the pacing has improved a lot. I was worried the show wouldn't be able to go on without Ragnar, but it seems I was wrong. I disliked all of Ragnar's sons at first, but now I find both Ubbe and Ivar interesting. Sigurd is showing some development too, but I can't take him seriously with that hairstyle :ack:. I still think the show desparately needs some cool side-characters though. Like Torstein and the others in the first season. Instead we got Astrid.... Has there ever been a worst character than her? I cringe everytime she appears.

The one thing I can say about Astrid, is she isn't Torvi, and the less I have to see Torvi, the happier I am.

Archived