Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well I just called in to see if I should be regretting my choice not to continue watching. Sounds like Little has changed and it may actually be worse, which is quite the achievement!

Well, Lagertha is a rapist now, so that's something.

I actually mostly liked that episode. Some of the editing seemed a bit weir and abrupt though. The tiresome bickering between the brothers was ended before it got truly tiresome and developed into inevitable outright enmity. Hvistserk staying with Ivar hopefully means he will become an actual character. The battle was alright, even if the Saxon's continue being stupid. I really don't get why they let Ubbe and Hvisterk go though. Also, bonus points to Hvitserk for remembering to use a shield.

The Harald and Astrid stuff was alright too, not particularly exciting but I didn't mind it too much.

The Floki stuff continues being great, all the magic shit aside.

The best part of the episode was the scene with Bjorn and Halfdan. This is pretty much the most interesting part of the season for me, so naturally it get the short en of the stick. It was nice to actually get to know Halfdan a little better, hopefully the he can develop a little more now that he is separate form his brother. And is was nice to see that the had stopped to pick up Sinric too.

Plus there was minimal Judith and absolutely no Kattegat whatsoever, which was nice surprise.

Bjorn and Halfdan's voyages could be very interesting if Hirst doesn't screw them up. However, I'm expecting a GGK twist with this Byzantine "nun".

Kattegat still sucks. Harald is much less interesting. York is boring without a battle. I was hoping that final shot of all those rats meant the plague would come and wipe that whole slate clean.

So far I'm actually liking this season. Kattegat is tedious as fuck, but otherwise it mostly works for me. York isn't great, but it has it's moments, and I am really liking both Bjorn and Floki's adventures. Harald is fine and I actually find myself liking Astrid a lot more now that she is away from Lagertha. Of course her days are probably numbered now.

The Mediterranean journey is probably the most interesting part right now and they manage to recapture the joy of discovery and seeing new things that often drove Ragnar and the show in the early seasons. Plus it's a nice break from all the sibling-squabbles and infighting and boring court intrigue. It is also progressing reactively fast, so there's not a lot of boring filler there. Too bad it's probably going to be cut short so that Bjorn can go back and get involved in whatever shit shit brewing back in Kattegat.

Floki on Iceland is similarly good and also boasts some truly great visuals.

However, the historical accuracy is apparently out the window totally. Kievan-Rus is around in what must surely still be the first half of the 9th century? There's already a Varangian Guard? And does Michael Hirst not know the difference between the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire?

8 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

However, the historical accuracy is apparently out the window totally. Kievan-Rus is around in what must surely still be the first half of the 9th century? There's already a Varangian Guard? And does Michael Hirst not know the difference between the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire?

There were a few head-scratchers as far as historical accuracy. That whole introduction in Sicily was odd. I laughed when I saw the metal animal trap the Norse were using at York. Wasn't hard metal fairly rare and expensive to waste on animal traps in the 9th century?

OK, York continues to be ridiculous. Not hard for Ivar to look like a genius when the opposition is full of morons. Really, Saxons, just allow those Vikings to climb out of the sewers before you attack them. And now Hegemond is following in Athelstan's footsteps as a captive? Sigh.

At least there's Kattegatt. Wait, I meant at least we have Floki back in Kattegatt. Wait, no, hopefully he'll return to Iceland soon. Man, Lagertha's character has really been butchered.

Bjorn and Halfdan were the best part of the episode. So, did Halfdan do the deed or not? :) Their journey and adventures in the Mediterranean are the best part of the season. Kassia is becoming more and more interesting.

I actually really liked the battle in York. The Saxon's are dumber than a pile of rocks but the whole thing delivered a whole bunch of entertaining mayhem. Hammer guy was pretty cool.

But then Hvisterk opens his god damned mouth and they decide to abandon York and the possibility of raiding far and wide in England for fucking Kattegat. Who gives a fuck about ruling Kattegat when you can rule England?

Kattegat was marginally better than usually with Floki's presence. His journey looks like it could be fun. Lagertha still suck. And how does a Lemur end up in Kattegat? And why does Guthrum have dark hair when both his parents are blonde?

Bjorn and Halfan'd merry adventures remain the highlight. The cannibalism was a bit unecessary, but otherwise its mostly pretty good. Alexander Ludwig is a lot better this season when Bjorn gets to do his own thing and for some reason I think Halfdan's my new favourite character on this show, despite him not really doing much. Worlds worst bodyguards for real. Too bad Kattegat will probably come calling here too.

Isn't Bjorn supposed to raid Luna in Italy though? Are they skipping that or is he just going to make yet another Mediterranean expedition?

Oh, ffs, they cut Bjorn's adventures short so he can return to Kattegatt? Damn, his arc was the best part of this season along with Floki's. At least Floki was smart enough to get the hell out of Kattegatt. I really hope the eventual showdown in Kattegatt is epic.

Astrid's scenes were terrible this week. Worse than usual.

Just like on previous seasons of Vikings the plot keeps centring on the weakest part of the show, only this time it isn't Wessex or Paris, it's Kattegat, that for some reason must always be at the centre of some god damned struggle. This naturally means that Bjorn's Mediterranean  plot, my favourite part of the season so far, must be cut short. So Bjorn and company uses the deus ex sandstorm to ride away on camels and abandon all the Mediterranean stuff without any conclusion or explanation. Then Bjorn fast-travels to Scandinavia just so that he can be present at whatever big brawl is coming up. I assume there's going to be yet another Mediterranean expedition either this or next season.

Then there's the unnecessary rape scene, which was just bad. And Astrid became boring once again, the threat of becoming and actually interesting character sending her back to team Lagertha and regressing her as a character. I assume she's going to die in the upcoming battle.

England isn't much better, but at least they remembered that Athelred still exist. Hell, he even had actual lines this episode.

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I want to thank Michael Hirst for the mental image of women performing castrations on reindeer by chewing their testicles while still in the sack. I will never be the same... :blink:

!?!

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I want to thank Michael Hirst for the mental image of women performing castrations on reindeer by chewing their testicles while still in the sack. I will never be the same... :blink:

I have a feeling he added the Sami to the story just so he could include that sex scene and imagine every male viewer wincing.

Astrid pregnant? Never saw that coming. Yawn.

Will someone please kill Lady Macbeth Magrethe? She is worse than Torvi now.

Floki's utopia sounds wonderful. I'm waiting for him to start offing dissenters in creative(volcanos, scalding pools of water, geysers. etc.) ways.

What deep, philosophical convos Ivar and Haehmand have. Too bad Hvitserk had to ruin it with his contribution equivalent to Ogre's "What if C-A-T really spelled dog?".

Actually my favorite scene this week was with Alfred and the Monk... it had the least amount of stupidity... 

Astrid should name the baby "Jambalaya"

Ivar is just... just.... just terrible.

and Ubba Ubba's burnin' love is the least subtle writing ever... if she says "Largetha is weak" one more f'ing time I'll fly to norway and dilute the gene pool. 

Archived