Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

The difference in popularity between The Last Kingdom and Vikings is the difference between the Shannara Chronicles and Game of Thrones.  The majority of this thread is LIke the Mirror Universe of alternate facts.

Even with 3 days added to it's total viewership , less than 600000 people watch TLK in the US.  Sad.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-nov-9-15-2015/

2.6 million people watched the Vikings  finale live and 4.5 million watched it in +3.  They're not in the same popularity universe. 

Most popular shows in the world: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-2016-12

Most pirated shows in the world:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-pirated-shows-2016-12

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

But this time, I will be strong and ignore the troll baits. Plus, everyone knows that "millions of viewers" equals "compelling" and "watchable". No need to debate that.

At some point when a TV series has worldwide popularity, and is one of the most pirated in the world, and when Game of Thrones and Westworld are on the very same rankers, a series must be doing something right in its storytelling.  

There's people on these boards that mention how much they enjoy Vikings but don't come on this thread  (and why would they? Hmmmmm...).  Meantime the thread for INTO THE BADLANDS, Into the Friggin Badlands, is a love fest.  No, no "cool kid" pile on groupthink going on!!  And I'm the one that gets called a troll. Whatever.  

Clearly the entire world is missing out on the brilliant and charismatic acting work of Uhtred.  Alex Hogh, Gustaf Skarsgard, Moe Dunford,  Jordan Patrick Smith, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Peter Franzen are 6 actors that are more compelling reading a chinese menu than that male model block of wood Alexander Doetsch at his best.  

Yes, I'm happy to defend Vikings-- consistently one of the most entertaining and bold dramas on television.    

Here's two UK reviewers that are clearly big dopes for enjoying the series which is clearly not compelling or watchable... What do these two British Twits know anyway:

http://vodzilla.co/reviews/uk-tv-review-vikings-season-4-episode-18-19-20/

http://www.nouse.co.uk/2017/02/15/review-vikings-season-4/

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, generalzod said:

At some point when a TV series has worldwide popularity, and is one of the most pirated in the world, and when Game of Thrones and Westworld are on the very same rankers, a series must be doing something right in its storytelling.  

There's people on these boards that mention how much they enjoy Vikings but don't come on this thread  (and why would they? Hmmmmm...).  Meantime the thread for INTO THE BADLANDS, Into the Friggin Badlands, is a love fest.  No, no "cool kid" pile on groupthink going on!!  And I'm the one that gets called a troll. Whatever.  

Clearly the entire world is missing out on the brilliant and charismatic acting work of Uhtred.  Alex Hogh, Gustaf Skarsgard, Moe Dunford,  Jordan Patrick Smith, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Peter Franzen are 6 actors that are more compelling reading a chinese menu than that male model block of wood Alexander Doetsch at his best.  

Yes, I'm happy to defend Vikings-- consistently one of the most entertaining and bold dramas on television.    

Here's two UK reviewers that are clearly big dopes for enjoying the series which is clearly not compelling or watchable... What do these two British Twits know anyway:

http://vodzilla.co/reviews/uk-tv-review-vikings-season-4-episode-18-19-20/

http://www.nouse.co.uk/2017/02/15/review-vikings-season-4/

I think the huuuuuge (yes a Tumpism) is the expectations. Vikings Season 1 and 2 were very good and it quickly became a show I looked forward to weekly. Into the Badlands, anyone seeing the previews knew going into it that it would be a campy action show, which is exactly what it is. So I can watch both and say that Into the Badlands is on par with expectations while Vikings is below expectations.

Different comparison and I always seem to get these wrong but I will try again.

I go to a place called Lafayette Coney (Badlands) in Detroit. It's a hole in the wall, cheap place that basically only offers a few items (action fighting) but I know that going in and my expectations are set. The food is tasty and I know exactly what I am getting.

If I go to Slows BBQ (Vikings) I expect higher class setting and premium (drama acting) food. So if I go there for a few visits and I get that I a going to be happy. But if I go back and the food and interior, wait staff progressively got worse (last couple Vikings seasons), then I would be disappointed. I may still go back there to eat and the food might be ok but it's not the same. In this scenario I would be happier with my visit to Lafayette than Slows even though they are on two different planes of dining.

And BTW, Slows has not gone backwards at all and is still a hot spot.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/03/2017 at 7:33 AM, generalzod said:

Why Michael Hirst and Vikings is awesome:

Let's see a comparable fan video from TLK with that level of heart and artistry and brilliance.  Over 1 million views for a FAN VIDEO.  Cultural relevance matters.  

The fan should probably edit the series as that's more touching than most of my memories of the show! I enjoyed it while it was good and even before I stopped watching the bad seasons were worth it for "the viking who tricked executioners into cutting their hands off" and "Diabetic bear fight". If I had more time, I'd probably still be watching Vikings but with the amount of material out there to watch it doesn't make the cut anymore.

As for TLK comparisons - the shorter season number defintiely helps me with picking it over Vikings. I think it also helps that they have source material to draw from whereas Vikings doesn't really have a plan other than it's very loose adherence to history.

Numbers = quality is a dubious defense. I wouldn't claim that because 100s of millions of people don't watch it that it's an inherently bad show. That logic would suggest all TV shows are terrible as even within america the majority of people don't watch them.

Kattegat has been a bit of a mess for several seasons. Continues to be so.

I enjoyed Floki's arc. Interested in seeing how this Iceland arc goes this season.

Of course we needed to be reminded of Athelstan. Fffs. I'll reserve judgment on Bishop Hegemond(sp?). While being a useful foil to the Norsemen, I feel he will become more and more ridiculous as the season progresses. But he does an amazing sword and back scabbard! I also have a feeling he'll take Aethelwulf's place as a father figure to Alfred shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if Aethelwulf dies at York.

The sibling rivalry of Ragnar's kids is tiring. Ivar is the only entertaining one. I still laugh at his chariot though.

And not enough Bjorn. His arc looks interesting this season. His and Floki's are the ones I'm most interested in.

I'm not even sure what to make of that. It's mostly business as usual, a few glimpses of brilliance and a whole lot of bullshit.

What the fuck have they done to Lagertha?

In fact all female characters currently on this show are terrible. Judith is the worst, Astrid sucks and of course Torvi sucks too, even if I think Lagertha might be taking over the crown as worst character in Kattegat.

England in general is pretty boring too, both on the Saxon and Norse sides. The sibling squabble is tiresome and will like only get more so. And the Saxon's just remain as boring as they have always been. Bishop JRM is kinda ridiculous so far.

Floki is still pretty great though and manages to hold my interest pretty well. I was also disappointed that we did not get to see anything form Bjorn and his journey. Even if Alexander Ludwig and Bjorn was boring as fuck last season I'm still really looking forward to this story. Especially since it also seems like it might give Halfdan something worthwhile to do too.

And seriously, how shitty is Kattegats security. Harald's manages to free him, kill a couple of guards, kidnap Astrid and sail away without anyone noticing until they were already on their way. I though Lagertha was supposed to make Kattegat a more safe and secure place?

And what are they feeding the kind on this show? Alfred, Guthrum and Athelred aged something like four years in a few months. All while the women on the show doesn't seem to age at all.

It is also impressive that Bishop JRM has managed to find a hair-mousse in 9th century England.

The Kattegat-Escape was ridiculous:

1. Lagertha imprisons Harald, but leaves his men free? Two seasons ago, she would have laughed at such stupidity!

2. Astrid gets abducted in plain daylight and is dragged through the streets of Kattegat and no-one cares, even though she's the queens lover? Either Astrid is not much beloved or the inhabitants of Kattegat are an apathetic bunch of idiots.

3. Security: seriously, Kattegats security blows (a horn). I mean wtf? They announce the coming an going of ships by blowing their horn and that's it? Noone checks the boats at the pier? Not even a single arrow shot at the boat? Guards get killed but the queen is the first to notice something shady going on?

And what on earth is Maigrets game with Torvi? This whole Kattegat-plot is bullshit. At this point, I just hope Kattegat gets burned down and we can concentrate on Bjorns raiding the living sit out of the Mediterranean.

Ivar's pretty edgy with his new black cloak. He's ridiculous, but at least he's entertaining.

The same can be said for the York battle. The action was fun, but damn Aethelwulf et al need a strategist.

Yay, no Kattegatt! Boo, Harald wooing Astrid!

Not enough Bjorn and Floki.

I gave up on this show ages ago but happened to catch this years season premier. Good call on my part ditching this steaming pile of excrement. 

Apart from all that's been mentioned above I have two main takeaways.

1. The stupid "viking" voice they all put on grates me more than ever. It's like they're all impersonating Travis Fimmel's character. Pretty sure Rollo, Lagertha or Gabriele Byne didn't put on the silly voice in earlier seasons. Nobody in Scandinavia speaks like this what the fuck!

2. The Ivar character is absolutely horrendous. As a character he is absurd. He would be a liability on the seas and in battle but because he grins and shouts all the time he's feared and respected? I see. Also lol at his chariot, presumably for the close quarter combat  we usually see on the show, lets hope the saxons agree to fight on roads from here on in. As an actor he's like something out of a comic book, over the top absurd.  He's actually close to Athelstan levels of tedius.

Archived