Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

On 20-1-2018 at 2:04 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I got to mid-4b after stopping a few episodes into 4b. Heard about Ragnar dying and decided that was a nice, natural cut off point if I could reach it. Reading this thread killed any desire I had to come back though :P 

Ragnar's death was quite emotional imo. I'm glad I was able to stick it out until that point. Everything I saw afterwards was pretty terrible, but I'm glad that I gave Fimmel's electric performance it's due :) 

Still, they messed up so many stuff. I can't believe this season was able to achieve such a high quality in its second season and then lose its way so completely. And it's pretty much all Hirst's fault imo. The actors and the visual storytelling remained completely on point, but the plot and the dialogue just descended into madness. Even in 4a, this show was able to produce this scene and this one which I think are amongst the most brilliant scenes I have ever seen. They should have doubled down on those and not the pointless court intrigues and endless detours. 

I'm very sad that season 5 turned out even worse by all accounts. I simply don't have the energy to commit myself back to seeing it. Luckily, this thread is still active so that I can keep up without having to sit through the episode by myself.    

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Ragnar's death was quite emotional imo. I'm glad I was able to stick it out until that point. Everything I saw afterwards was pretty terrible, but I'm glad that I gave Fimmel's electric performance it's due :) 

Still, they messed up so many stuff. I can't believe this season was able to achieve such a high quality in its second season and then lose its way so completely. And it's pretty much all Hirst's fault imo. The actors and the visual storytelling remained completely on point, but the plot and the dialogue just descended into madness. Even in 4a, this show was able to produce this scene and this one which I think are amongst the most brilliant scenes I have ever seen. They should have doubled down on those and not the pointless court intrigues and endless detours. 

I'm very sad that season 5 turned out even worse by all accounts. I simply don't have the energy to commit myself back to seeing it. Luckily, this thread is still active so that I can keep up without having to sit through the episode by myself.    

I actually found Ragnar’s death very meh. But then I just had lost all interest in the show at that point. Fimmel was brilliant as always but the rest was just a bit bleh for me

On 1/20/2018 at 7:45 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Genuine question: how long are you willing to keep pushing yourself to watch the next episode in the hopes it makes up for the shit this show became? I only ask because I was the same as you only my breaking point was season 4. I only browsed this thread following something I learned about this season from another poster

Your question is good, and frankly, I'm having a hard time to answer. 

To give you an idea, back when Boardwalk Empire was on tv I decided to stop watching the show after season 3. I thought it was a mistake to 

Spoiler

kill Jimmy

at the end of season 2, and I didn't like the direction characters took in season 3 so I stopped. I stopped watching Fear the Walking Dead after season 2 (heard season 3 was good).  I'm sure there was at least 1 or 2 others shows I stopped watching, but I can't remember.

I'm still watching The Walking Dead even though, you know... (but in that instance it's mostly because of my GF). I watched season 2 of the Shannara Chronicles when I was sure I would'nt... I made it through True Blood also... once I'm commited it's like... I HAVE to make it to the end.

For Vikings, if Bjorn dies next week I think I'm done. If Margreth DOESN'T die I will be pissed as f*ck. I'm sure Laguertha is not gonna die anytime soon as Katheryn Winnick is often posting things on facebook/instagram about filming season 6. I guess I still hope Hirst will go back to season 2 quality :unsure:

The battle was great except for Lagertha and Bjorn's bonehead decision to commit all of their forces. Oops forgot about all of those Franks. But hey, Rollo's back!!!!! I laughed at Lagertha's using a severed head as a flail.Some of the pre-battle flashbacks were good, some not so good. I don't know why the Sami is getting so much screen time and why Bjorn loves her so much. More brother v brother dialogue. We get it. Some needed culling of the cast, though. Happy with most of the deaths, since those characters were all fairly pointless. I was hoping for a few of the other irritating ones to meet their end, but hopefully that will happen next season.

The Iceland scenes being sandwiched into this episode were a bit jarring. However, I do like how Hirst is juxtaposing Floki's desire to build a peaceful community with all of the violence in Kattegatt.

That was a weird episode. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I don't think they managed to pull it off. I guess the actual battle was pretty good, but a lot of the supposed big moments felt unearned and fell flat. Mostly because I don't care enough about most of these characters, which is extra clear with the ones that died. I dont care that much for Astrid or Guthrum (I guess that he's not that Guthrum) and I especially don't crae about those fucking Sami-Ninjas (good riddance). I did care about Halfdan and I think his death worked well, as did all his parts of the episode, although it was kind sudden and felt very abrubt. That felt like something that should have happened towards the end of the episode. Lagertha fighting those Ray Harryhausen skeletons looked ridiciolous.

I also don't care much about most of the surviving characters anymore. I gave up on Lagertha long ago and all this shit with Heahmund is just awful and boring. I have no idea what they are doing with Margerethe. I never cared about Torvi. I do feel like Hvitserk could be good if they actually made an effort with him, but so far he is just bland and undefined, good job on killing Guthrum though. Ubbe and Ivar has become less interesting than they where before. And I already hate all the Saxon characters.

That leaves Bjorn, Harald and Floki, and the latter's Iceland adventure have felt like a waste of time and Bjron was chugging along well until he was drawn back into this civil war bullshit (which isn't even a civil was, it is one kingdom invading another!). Kattegat as a whole is just holding the show back at this point.

At least Rollo's back. what are the odds that Michael Hirst is going to reveal that he is Bjorn's real father?

That intro scene with Harald and Halfdan singing was fantastic though. Easily the baest scene of this season.

And here's a trailer of what is to come (featuring Vikings with actual helmets)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caught up with the show. 

Wow, this season sucked big time. 

In a nutshell:

-the female characters are all ridiculous. 

-bjorn’s adventures were absolutely boring and meaningless. 

-hvitserk’s turn on Ubbe is absolutely unfounded 

-I’m not sure what’s the point in introducing characters who get five minutes of screentime. And I’m not sure why I’m expected to feel bad about them. 

-weirdly, it was Astrid whose storyline had the most integrity. 

-Floki is a waste of screentime and completely detached from the main plot. His storyline has no purpose or direction, it’s only reason for existence is to keep Gustaf Skarsgard in the loop. 

-Lagertha and Floki should both be dead. 

-Magret or whatever her name is is worse than the Chinese girlfriend Ragnar had and that’s saying something. 

-I keep forgetting the Saxons exist.

-it is weird that the rightful heir would stand aside for his bastard brother at the request of his cheating mother, but okay.

-Aethelwulf’s death was the lamest tv death I can remember. 

-the only scenes with actual content are the ones between Ivar and Jonathan Rhys Meyers 

-episode ten was a weird editing choice

-king Harald was the only character I had any sympathy for (except for Torvi’s youngest kid who just stands in the background and stares, asking what the actual fuck is going on)

-I enjoyed the old English/Swedish pieces of dialogue. game of thrones taught Michael Hirst, too, that It’s always cooler to yell in a foreign language.

-it’s quite funny that hvitserk said rollo couldn’t come because of his many duties, and then he showed up anyway. I guess Gisla told him to do the shopping first. 

-the promo for episode 11 looked cool, cray cray Ivar is the only thing that’s still interesting about the show. 

-also, what happens when the plot catches up with the Last Kingdom? Because that’s likely to happen next season or so. 

• 5 months later...

It's never been the same since Kathryn Winnick got facial surgery.  Her face no longer moves - and she's unrecognizable..

I checked out the trailer and boy howdy -- at least, at the very last moment it answered the question I was asking all the way through -- where is Rollo?  He was the last thing in the previous season and the last thing in this one so he doesn't have anything to do in this one either, probably.

Ivar is so asshatedly over-emoted that even  Rhys Meyers's Bishop comes across as a good actor by comparison.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's never been the same since Kathryn Winnick got facial surgery.  Her face no longer moves - and she's unrecognizable..

I don't think so, I have Kathryn on facebook and she post a lot of pictures and she doesn't look any different since at least 5-6 years, always smiling and looking radiant, she really aged well (as a lot of eastern european I guess). On the show though, she became more and more stiff, so it's probably an acting/character/direction they went for (and that I hate)

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Disagree 100%.  Compared and contrasted close-ups of her from season one and season five: season five her face is flat and blank, so unlike the first seasons.

I'm not sure if you understood what I said, because I was talking about her outside the show. I know she became more flat, bland and stiff since season 4 I'd say, but outside the show she is not.

• 1 month later...

Despite all the silliness with the storytelling I still find myself binge-watching the new seasons when they go on demand.  I think I mostly just enjoy the visuals.  My favorite part of this season was watching Floki explore Iceland by himself.  Would like more moments like that and less fighting over Kattegat for the billionth time, although the battles scenes are fun to watch.

When they showed Rollo at the end I thought maybe he was going to try to take Kattegat for himself, but the promo for part 2 makes me less sure of this now.

• 3 months later...

So let's get into it.

- Torvi sucks!

- Wessex sucks even more. As much as I dislike Torvi, I'd take way more of her if it would men less Wessex courtly bullshit.

- Little known historical fact: During the Viking Age, women apparently did not age.

- Alexander Ludwig's Travis Fimmel imitation has reached parodical levels.

- Hey, Hvitserk actually has lines this episode.

- I have seen cats and dogs with more chemistry than Lagertha and Battle Bishop.

- There is Game of Thrones levels of teleportation in this episode. Lagertha & co. go from a ruined farm, on foot, to Haraldtown, which always seemed to be quite a bit away, steal a ship and then they are in England.

- Seriously, how is Harald Finehair the most interesting character on this show?

- Iceland isn't even worth mentioning.

- Ivar is tiresome

- Aaand of course Rollo is Bjorn's real father. As if Michael Hirst couldn't be more of a hack than he already is.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who found the "aging" of Lagertha disturbingly lame, if that's what they are going for. I mean she is beautiful and has a flawless face, no wrinkles (or battle scars btw) and the hair of an 80 year old...? There wasn't a time jump so why the hair?

Rollo and Lagertha hooking up long ago, sure no problem, I mean we saw that Lagertha was "open" to some playing around with her marriage but to toss in the new daddy wrinkle is just stupid. I mean her and Ragnar were both blondes, Bjorn is spitting image of them, and now we should believe that the dark haired uncle is the dad, cmon guys...either get new writers or end the show.

16 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Why is Lagertha's hair aged 30 years in like, 3 days post-battle? Or did she too sign the Book of the Beast after her dark baptism?

Could carol from walking dead be a descendant of lagertha? Both like to sport long grey wigs later in life.

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who found the "aging" of Lagertha disturbingly lame, if that's what they are going for. I mean she is beautiful and has a flawless face, no wrinkles (or battle scars btw) and the hair of an 80 year old...? There wasn't a time jump so why the hair?

Rollo and Lagertha hooking up long ago, sure no problem, I mean we saw that Lagertha was "open" to some playing around with her marriage but to toss in the new daddy wrinkle is just stupid. I mean her and Ragnar were both blondes, Bjorn is spitting image of them, and now we should believe that the dark haired uncle is the dad, cmon guys...either get new writers or end the show.

That sounds a load of bull with rollo and lageetha being a thing. It's one thing to have an open relationship, it's another to have one with your partner's brother. Although i vaguely recall rollo sniffing around her in season 1? Feels like a long time ago

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Could carol from walking dead be a descendant of lagertha? Both like to sport long grey wigs later in life.

That sounds a load of bull with rollo and lageetha being a thing. It's one thing to have an open relationship, it's another to have one with your partner's brother. Although i vaguely recall rollo sniffing around her in season 1? Feels like a long time ago

Yeah they clearly showed him "longing" for her and I expected that to be why they would fight each other.

Archived