NFL Week 17: Playoffs for Some, Miniature Improvement in Draft Picks for Others!

Maithanet

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I thought the Giants did it because it was another opportunity for Mara to shit on Snyder.

Possibly, but to me it looked like it wasn't so much the Giants who were trying to win as it was the Redskins losing. As I said, it wasn't quite the Pittsburgh strategy of benching practically every starter who matters in their game against Cleveland, but the Giants definitely weren't playing at full strength (particularly in the second half) and Washington just couldn't take advantage.

On an unrelated note, have people seen this video of German announcers commenting on Edelman's touchdown from the Patriots-Dolphins game? I don't speak German so I only understood "monster block" and something about the injured Dolphins player being in Kamchatka, but this style of commentary is way more exciting than the American one.

4 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Dallas has a much better defense than Washington personnel wise. What makes it even close is Dallas has a really bad defensive line. It is among the worst in the league. The secondary and LBs are among the best though. 

I am in a minority opinion here, but I actually think the defense is under preforming in ways. This is changing right at the right time though with Irving coming on. If Gregory can start being adequate in the run game, that line suddenly looks much, much better.

This is like a Nickelback vs. Creed argument. Dallas is better up the middle with Sean Lee and Barry Church. Kerrigan and Murphy are average pass rushers but Dallas doesn't even have that. Both have bad D-lines and are fine at CB (but the impact is limited when the rest of the defense is so lackluster). There's a reason neither team could stop the other on Thanksgiving and Dallas won but largely because their O-line was an unmatchable competitive edge. 

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I thought the Giants did it because it was another opportunity for Mara to shit on Snyder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-should-have-seen-it-coming-the-redskins-and-giants-hate-each-other/2017/01/01/8c8ced08-d06a-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.4367807a0420

Though it's hard to feel any satisfaction from this tale of personal loathing, because fuck the Giants and fuck John "The NFL has a zero tolerance policy on domestic abuse, now excuse me while I arrange a contract extension and soft treatment for a kicker that I know has been abusing his wife for years" Mara.

At least this hopefully kills once and for all the notion that the Maras are the "classy" owners of the NFL. 

Also while on the subject I see Ben McAdoo getting more attention now but unless it's for having the second worst haircut in the NFL I don't get it. It's the Giants defense that's great. That's Spagnoulo's side of the ball. Giants offense is awful. There's been like 3-4 games they've only barely scratched out enough points because OBJ made an incomprehensible play out of nothing.

I think he's a doofus. Prove me wrong, McAdoo. 

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Though it's hard to feel any satisfaction from this tale of personal loathing, because fuck the Giants and fuck John "The NFL has a zero tolerance policy on domestic abuse, now excuse me while I arrange a contract extension and soft treatment for a kicker that I know has been abusing his wife for years" Mara.

Yup. There's no way to defend that bullshit. 

50 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Also while on the subject I see Ben McAdoo getting more attention now but unless it's for having the second worst haircut in the NFL I don't get it. It's the Giants defense that's great. That's Spagnoulo's side of the ball. Giants offense is awful. There's been like 3-4 games they've only barely scratched out enough points because OBJ made an incomprehensible play out of nothing.

Basically because he's a first year coach whose team has gotten him 11 wins. But I'm with you on this. I've watched just about every snap of Gmen and when I hear talks of him being coach of the year, and all that, I cringe. His playcalling is so predictable and way too conservative. When they have any type of lead he just relies totally on the defense to hold it. Perkins should've been starting weeks, if not months, ago.

The O-line is a mess and Eli's play has been significantly worse than last year for whatever reason so I'm not blaming all the offensive woes on McAdoo, but it's definitely the defensive acquisitions and Spags that should be getting the credit for righting the ship. 

Giants do have a history of doofus's proving people wrong so I guess they have that going for them.

54 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

He looks like Robert Smigel's character on that old Bill Swerski's Superfans sketch on SNL

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bill-swerskis-super-fans/n10094?snl=1

13 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

It is time to move on from this guy. He has potential as a pass rusher, but is awful in the run game. I think we can just chalk this one up to a second round bust. 

Yep, I was excited to have him back and was looking forward to him next season but now, if he can't even make a pee test while in rehab then he is done IMO.

11 hours ago, sperry said:

What's scary is the Titans with the 5th and 15th picks in the draft.  The only bummer for them is there isn't a receiver worth a top 5 pick in this draft. Still, they can likely land a nice defensive lineman or a defensive back.

And they are pretty good at drafting, at least recently. If I was them I would go for one more stud offensive lineman then go Def strong.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What a d-move!

B)

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. To me, fuck the Bills and other NFL teams who structure every contract to screw over the players. If there is any sport where the contracts deserve to be guaranteed it's the NFL. Instead it's the opposite, the teams routinely find ways to manipulate contracts to their favor. They were clearly telling everyone they planned to cut him by benching him for the last game so he couldn't get hurt and lock in his contract, even though the guy was playing hurt most of the season.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

And they are pretty good at drafting, at least recently. If I was them I would go for one more stud offensive lineman then go Def strong.

I think they are in the really fortunate position that they have both of their starting tackles for the next decade. They can get interior linemen in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

One thing that will be really interesting to see in this draft is that Joe Mixon declared.

For those who don't know who Mixon is, he's an RB that played for Oklahoma who got into an argument with a girl at a bar on campus, she slapped him and he punched her squarely in the face, knocking her out cold and causing her to hit her head on a table. Really awful stuff. This happened in July 2014, and he was suspended for the season, but the video came out about a month ago and it became a media shitstorm.

The kid is a top 5 talent and can do it all. Think Leveon Bell with more speed. There is this really ugly incident hanging over his head, but it's something that will have happened over 3 years ago. This could be a case where a team that was already good lands a truly elite talent due to off the field stuff. He's unlikely to reoffend, so it's not a situation where the team that drafts him will worry about him being on the field, but there will also be awful PR initially.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. To me, fuck the Bills and other NFL teams who structure every contract to screw over the players. If there is any sport where the contracts deserve to be guaranteed it's the NFL. Instead it's the opposite, the teams routinely find ways to manipulate contracts to their favor. They were clearly telling everyone they planned to cut him by benching him for the last game so he couldn't get hurt and lock in his contract, even though the guy was playing hurt most of the season.

I thought it was pretty clear that it was a joke, given how bad the pun was. 

29 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

This is awesome, by the way. Or maybe we could take it back to our old Fast Food Chain comparisons. Arby's vs. Little Caesar's or something.

I bet you celebrate Nickelback's entire catalogue...

Picks time:

Oakland vs. Houston - I predicted that we will all die of boredom before we can every truly know the result. That said, Houston will win 20-13.

Detroit vs. Seattle - Another game that looks kind of terrible, and both teams have not been good as of late. Still the Lions are the Lions. Seattle wins 23-17.

Miami vs. Pittsburgh -  Oh for the love of God. Another bad looking game? I thought the playoffs were suppose to be fun. Pittsburgh wins 27-20.

New York vs. Green Bay - This would be a good game if it was in NY. It's damn cold here in the Midwest, and I expect this to be a low scoring affair, but at least we might get some classic smash mouth football. Green Bay wins 23-13.

Lock prediction - The Pats players will all be howling with laughter. 

I think that Miami @ Pittsburgh is a pretty nice-looking game with a much-improved Miami team and a Pittsburgh team that's won 7 straight coming in.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

So I am prepping for a really important interview on Monday, and am quite thankful that these playoff games are so shitty and wont' be a temptation to avoid preparation.

I have an interview Monday as well, but it's a wedding today and a 10 hour drive tomorrow that keeps me from watching.

I knew that Houston's offense was suspect, but did they just say they averaged 17 ppg in the regular season?  Makes me think they're quite safe up 20-7 on Cook.

Archived