NFL Week 17: Playoffs for Some, Miniature Improvement in Draft Picks for Others!

Maithanet

9 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

People need to be drunk to enjoy watching Brock Osweiler play QB. 

Maybe they're just hoping that people already have plans saturday night, and don't want them to miss an actual NFL game.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Is it pretty much a lock that you guys are going to have to suffer one more year of Lewis? He seems like Cowher did his last year here, almost uninterested. And Cowher was coming off of a SB win that year which it made it even more curious to me. Continuity at the HC position can be a good thing, but at some point I think it gets to be too much and a complacency sets in, unless you're Darth Hoodie that is.

Yup. Unless he steps down himself, he'll be back. I expect a few more things to go our way next year (like a new kicker) and to be back in the playoff hunt but I still think Lewis has run his course. I doubt we get over the hump next year even if we make the playoffs. My guess is he gets another 1 year extension this offseason. That seems to happen every year these days.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Is it pretty much a lock that you guys are going to have to suffer one more year of Lewis? He seems like Cowher did his last year here, almost uninterested. And Cowher was coming off of a SB win that year which it made it even more curious to me. 

In Cowher's defense, his wife was dying of cancer. That's why he quit. The public had no idea until after she died, then it all made sense. 

21 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yup. Unless he steps down himself, he'll be back. I expect a few more things to go our way next year (like a new kicker) and to be back in the playoff hunt but I still think Lewis has run his course. I doubt we get over the hump next year even if we make the playoffs. My guess is he gets another 1 year extension this offseason. That seems to happen every year these days.

I thought you were super big on Lewis. What changed?

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I thought you were super big on Lewis. What changed?

Super big is an overstatement. I think he's done a great job changing the culture of the organization and has done a really good job keeping us consistently in the hunt. Unfortunately, the talent pipeline is diminishing and the message is getting stale. 14 years and no playoff win is an indictment. It's time for a change for the Bengals before our core gets too old (AJ Green is 29, Dalton almost 30, Atkins 29, etc).

I still think Lewis is a great coach. I just think he needs to move on from the Bengals. Think he'd be a great fit in Jacksonville or Buffalo.

16 hours ago, Trebla said:

The J. Nelson injury could be the deciding factor.

Unless it's a really bad break of his ribs I'd expect Nelson to probably play next week. It hurts like an absolute bastard but you can play with a broken rib, they've probably got some industrial strength painkillers they can give him anyway.

This surely bodes ill for the heavily favored Patriots in their upcoming game: Bill Belichick was on a boat this weekend. Probably not doing elite football preparation. Lazy fucker was asleep. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/01/09/bill-belichick-catches-some-zs-on-the-nantucket-ferry-during-the-bye-week

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Unless it's a really bad break of his ribs I'd expect Nelson to probably play next week. It hurts like an absolute bastard but you can play with a broken rib, they've probably got some industrial strength painkillers they can give him anyway.

You can bet that if he plays, Dallas def will be going right at those ribs to test him.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

This surely bodes ill for the heavily favored Patriots in their upcoming game: Bill Belichick was on a boat this weekend. Probably not doing elite football preparation. Lazy fucker was asleep. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/01/09/bill-belichick-catches-some-zs-on-the-nantucket-ferry-during-the-bye-week

The only problem with the boat trip was the tweet they sent which seemed to be inviting criticism of the fact that they were vacationing on their off day.  Belichick is of course immune to such criticism, so he can do all the boating he likes. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The only problem with the boat trip was the tweet they sent which seemed to be inviting criticism of the fact that they were vacationing on their off day.  Belichick is of course immune to such criticism, so he can do all the boating he likes. 

We're on to Nantucket.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

How about playing with TWO broken ribs?

4 hours ago, Trebla said:

Would they really allow him to play with that? I understand that they can give him painkillers, but the pain is there for a reason: the ribs protect valuable internal organs and being hit again in the same spot could lead to a serious (possibly even fatal) injury. I guess he could wear a kind of body armor, but even if that were allowed, he would not be able to run as fast with it on.

6 hours ago, Altherion said:

Would they really allow him to play with that? I understand that they can give him painkillers, but the pain is there for a reason: the ribs protect valuable internal organs and being hit again in the same spot could lead to a serious (possibly even fatal) injury. I guess he could wear a kind of body armor, but even if that were allowed, he would not be able to run as fast with it on.

I have to assume you are joking right? This is the NFL. They historically let you play even if you brain is oozing out your ear. They will let him decide if he can handle the pain and wear a flack jacket to protect against more damage.

As I said earlier, if he plays, Church is going to line him up and smack those ribs first chance he gets.

12 hours ago, Trebla said:

I don't know. I'd be inclined to think whether it's one or two ribs probably wouldn't make too much difference, either way it's going to hurt a lot but I don't think breaking two ribs would restrict your movement much more than breaking one. Having said that I suppose the fact he's broken two ribs might increase the chances it's a bad break.

13 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

who gave a press conference though he'd rather duck it

When asked about the pressure of balls

and equipment managers in bathroom stalls

He yelled at the press "ah, go fuck it"

:thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know. I'd be inclined to think whether it's one or two ribs probably wouldn't make too much difference, either way it's going to hurt a lot but I don't think breaking two ribs would restrict your movement much more than breaking one. Having said that I suppose the fact he's broken two ribs might increase the chances it's a bad break.

In 2013 I think, Patrice Bergeron of the Bruins played at least a few Stanley Cup Final games with busted ribs and a punctured lung, so there's that.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

In 2013 I think, Patrice Bergeron of the Bruins played at least a few Stanley Cup Final games with busted ribs and a punctured lung, so there's that.

Not comparable IMO. Hockey does have some big hits but it's not like it is in football. Literally Nelsons job is to get hit as often as possible because that means he has the ball. The act of catching the ball exposes his injured area to another hit. He will also have a 200+ lbs man landing on him repeatedly. Not saying he won't play but if he does it's gonna hurt! People have played with broken legs, lacerated spleen, broken jaw, amputated finger mid game etc. Just depends on how he deals with it.

Archived