NFL Week 17: Playoffs for Some, Miniature Improvement in Draft Picks for Others!

Maithanet

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Another domino falls and my preferred McDaniels or Shannahan the Younger are still out there...

Yeap.  That seals it.  We're definitely getting Cable.

:bang: 

Mildly panicked, but there is a Jed quote from the post-season presser that would seem to put paid to that....sommat about having good people on staff but regardless needing a fresh start, so not for us. It's the Jedster, though, so...and the fact that there haven't been any damaging 'leaks' about how Gamble sucks is mildly concerning considering their M.O. Maybe he's learned?

Cable's the bigger worry.

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Mildly panicked, but there is a Jed quote from the post-season presser that would seem to put paid to that....sommat about having good people on staff but regardless needing a fresh start, so not for us. It's the Jedster, though, so...and the fact that there haven't been any damaging 'leaks' about how Gamble sucks is mildly concerning considering their M.O. Maybe he's learned?

Cable's the bigger worry.

Are you talking about Jed York.That whole situation is both funny and sad. Its sad because he had to be fired by his own parents. Its ironic though since they hired him. Still though i guess they haven't fired him yet but it does seem like they will fire him soon. That is the jester you mean right? or...

25 minutes ago, Wrl6199 said:

Are you talking about Jed York.That whole situation is both funny and sad. Its sad because he had to be fired by his own parents. Its ironic though since they hired him. Still though i guess they haven't fired him yet but it does seem like they will fire him soon. That is the jester you mean right? or...

Oh, yeah, that's the huckleberry. Mor funny/sad is that, at least at the moment, he actually appears to be taking more control. He says it's temporary, to find The Guy and then back off, but we'll see. Hearing good things, but that might just be the bar being set near the earth's core.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Rams hire Redskins OC Sean McVay.

I'll admit I'm surprised, and kind of irritated.  This is the first time I can remember that the Redskins have had enough success that another team would want to poach their talent.  I'm sure it has happened in the past, but it has been a long time. 

So it looks like we're replacing our OC and DC in the same offseason.  Not exactly the kind of stability you are looking for to turn a playoff contender into a champion. 

This was my fear. There was an amazing amount of buzz for a 30 year old. I thought he did a great job so I'm bummed. At least him going to the Rams means he's not coming after Cousins. Needs to see what they have in Goff. Hope Gruden has some ace up his sleeve in terms of replacements. Really just hoping we tread water as an offense at this point. 

At least your boy Gus Bradley interviewed for DC.

Pretty sure the last Skins coordinator who got hired away to become HC was actually Marvin Lewis. His one season making Steve Spurrier look passable was about as impressive as what he did as DC of the 2000 Ravens. Considering he's still coaching the Bengals 14 years later, he did alright. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

There seems to be some sentiment that the Chargers should change their name. Ideas? Since it's Los Angeles, let's name it after the locals. Call them the Transplants. Logo should be a suitcase.

I'm going to go down the road 5 years with a different name change and say either the Oakland or San Antonio Chargers.

This move is going to fail miserably and when it becomes blatantly obvious that LA has no interest in supporting two NFL teams, the tenant is going to be evicted.

And man are they already getting lambasted with the rip off of the Dodgers logo. That's gotta change, fast. This move is already a fucking travesty, and it hasn't even been 24 hours...

So, I am not going to go over the games this past week; they all sucked.  Statistically, they were all over either before or right after Halftime.  

My only real opinion is on the whole Odel Beckam issue with the team going to Miami to party.  Did this cause the Giants to lose?  No.  Is it indicative of larger problems with that team?  Probably. 

The Giants had many days to prepare for this game; Monday was their off day.  They can do whatever they want with their off time. BUt is it the best use of your time to catch a jet to Miami?  Let me put it this way: the Monday before a playoff game, would you feel better or worse knowing that your team flew 4-4.5 hours away to party on a boat?

Also, is there any chance at all that the Pats are partying like that the Monday before a playoff game?

NOPE! 

I think going down to Miami shows an acute lack of leadership and control over in NY; that the culture is wrong and that you need better focus.  They have other crap on their minds than football.  IN other words, the Giants didn't suck because they went down to Miami; the Giants went down to Miami because they suck.  

Oh, and the Chargers can suck a bag full of LaDanian Tomlinson's ringless-fingers.  Their Fucking owner is a greed monkey.  

And here are my picks:

Atlanta over Seattle: Seattle I think can beat Atlanta, but the thing is that Atlanta beat up everyone this season and Seattle has been volatile with ups and downs galore.  I think they looked good against a hapless Detroit team, but they lost 3 of their last 6 games and were able to beat the Panthers, Rams and 49ers during that stretch.  Atlanta's offense is real and they are doing everything right.  I envision Wilson feeling like he has to do too much and throws a couple of picks, but most of the game is Ryan wailing on he Seattle D.  Atlanta 31 Seattle 17

Pats over Houston: The worst Pats playoff loss in the Tom Brady era HAS to be the 2010 loss to the Jets, @home in the divisional round (notable runners-up: 2007 Superbowl, 2005 blowout to Denver; 2009 loss to the Ravens); the Pats were ...

...14-2...

...the presumptive favorite to win the Superbowl...

... facing a tremendous Defensive team ...

...with a terrible QB... 

...@ home... 

... and an opposing head coach with familiarity with the Pats ...

So, in 2010, the Pats were sent packing because that team could not stop all-world QB Mark Sanchez (3 TDs, 127 rating).  The Jets D was to have linebackers and D tackles roam the middle of the field so Brady could not set and reset the p;lays and, well, it worked.  

So... i could happen again, right?  FUCK NO!  Brock Osweiler is fucking terrible, the Texans beat a THIRD STRING QB to get here after beating one of the worst divisions ever in the history of football- the AFC South and do not have JJ Watt.  Also, Tom Brady may have just had his best season ever.  Anmd they have a stingy defense and an actual running game.  Oh, and unlike the Jets who had defeated the Pats earlier that season, the Pats annihilated the Texans in week 3 with a third-string QB.  This will be the worst game of the week: Pats 34 Texans 10

Pittsburgh over KC: This is my upset of the week.  KC just feels like a paper-tiger.  They are the #2 seed because David Carr's leg shattered; they have a history of playoff ineptitude; Andy Reid is horrible at clock management and raising his game in the playoffs, and it remains to be seen how healthy Houston is.  Meanwhile, Pittsburgh seems to have it all figured out at the exact right time- best running back in the AFC; best WR in football and battle-tested, veteran QB.  The Pittsburgh O and D lines have been suspect all season, but I see them coming through in the clutch.  Its a close one but The Steelers prevail: Steelers 27 KC 24.

Dallas over GB: So, lets discuss a little bit that one team that gets Waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much love after the Wildcard round.  Everyyear there is this team that everyone thinks, "You know I think they are going to be real trouble in the playoffs and then they win one game against a shitty playoff team that hops on a jet to fly down to Miami and snort rum-soaked cocaine off a hooker's ass   and everyone thinks, This is the team!

Yeah... no.  For starters, Dallas won a lot of games this season and did it against good teams; they can run and pass with a vengeance. Dalls is inexperienced, but they have more than enough on O to get through.  GB's secondary is in shambles and Clay Matthews is the NFL "Overrated White Player" of 2016.  On D, Dallas has issues, but GB's running game has looked shaky as of late and Nelson's loss will hurt them.  Rodegrs has done this before so I think Dallas has a great day and handily wins a good game.  Dallas 24, GB 20.   

48 minutes ago, unJon said:

Uh oh. My picks agree with Rockroi. I better rethink this whole thing. (Though technically looks like Rock has Green Bay covering 4.5.)

No, you should immediately change all your picks.  Now, I DID go 4-0 last week, but that was a pretty easy slate of games.  You should rethink your life choices if you have the same picks as me.  

9 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

The other owners knew this would be a bad idea. Why didn't they stop it?

There's a $650 million relocation fee that the Chargers will pay that gets split among the other 31 owners.

7 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Pittsburgh over KC: This is my upset of the week.  KC just feels like a paper-tiger.  They are the #2 seed because David Carr's leg shattered; they have a history of playoff ineptitude; Andy Reid is horrible at clock management and raising his game in the playoffs, and it remains to be seen how healthy Houston is.  Meanwhile, Pittsburgh seems to have it all figured out at the exact right time- best running back in the AFC; best WR in football and battle-tested, veteran QB.  The Pittsburgh O and D lines have been suspect all season, but I see them coming through in the clutch.  Its a close one but The Steelers prevail: Steelers 27 KC 24.

I agree this is the most likely upset, partially because some Steelers defender is going to "accidentally" earhole Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce and knock them out of the game.

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

There's a $650 million relocation fee that the Chargers will pay that gets split among the other 31 owners.

It's mind-boggling. Spanos would rather spend $650 million up front (plus moving expenses!) to pull up stakes for LA, play in half-empty stadiums for mocking crowds, and eventually pay rent to Stan Kroenke, rather than spending a similar sum to just upgrade his existing stadium in a market that's had them for 50+ years.

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's mind-boggling. Spanos would rather spend $650 million up front (plus moving expenses!) to pull up stakes for LA, play in half-empty stadiums for mocking crowds, and eventually pay rent to Stan Kroenke, rather than spending a similar sum to just upgrade his existing stadium in a market that's had them for 50+ years.

Yep. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there's some debt accounting trick he can use on the relocation fee that he can't use on stadium upgrade costs. I'm sure there's tricks for both, just maybe there's a better one on the fee.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yep. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there's some debt accounting trick he can use on the relocation fee that he can't use on stadium upgrade costs. I'm sure there's tricks for both, just maybe there's a better one on the fee.

Well the NFL offered $300 million to help pay for stadium upgrades.  The initial plan was for the stadium to be built for $1 billion dollars, and the city of San Diego offered the $180 million in land for free.  Apparently that wasn't enough though.  He wanted to pay $600 million for the privilege of owning the fifth most popular football team in LA, after the Rams, Trojans, Bruins and Raiders. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Well the NFL offered $300 million to help pay for stadium upgrades.  The initial plan was for the stadium to be built for $1 billion dollars, and the city of San Diego offered the $180 million in land for free.  Apparently that wasn't enough though.  He wanted to pay $600 million for the privilege of owning the fifth most popular football team in LA, after the Rams, Trojans, Bruins and Raiders. 

This scathing takedown of Spanos by a San Diego native puts the stupidity of this move into context..

https://theringer.com/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-dean-spanos-92653a53e586#.lo511l7og

Dean Spanos was given charge of the San Diego Chargers by his father in 1994, and, from minute one, no one in San Diego ever took him seriously. He so perfectly looked and sounded the part of “fuckwit son of a rich guy” that he was never really going to have any other identity unless he did something truly great. Unfortunately for him, and San Diego, that was not to be his destiny. Year after year he made decisions so dumb that even the incredibly mild San Diego sports media took notice. When he fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14–2 season, he hired Norv Turner, a man who had finished 9–23 with the Oakland Raiders in his last head-coaching stint, to handle the primes of Philip Rivers and LT. And Dean did this not because he had any real faith in Norv as a head coach (no one did, not even Norv), but because Norv was the kind of coach who would pretend that Dean was somebody. Marty Schottenheimer made it very clear he did not give two shits about what Dean Spanos thought. Norv treated Deano like a smart football mind who had earned the job of president instead of like the son of the guy who owned the team. Every year, the Chargers found new and embarrassing ways to lose, and the once-pliable identity of Dean Spanos as “fuck-up rich kid” began to harden. Barring a Super Bowl win, Dean was running out of ways to become the respected big shot he so desperately wanted to be. There was one more way to create his own legacy: build a brand-new stadium.

If you’re not rich enough to build a football stadium, then you’re not rich enough to own a football team. It’s like owning a Ferrari; you can’t just be a guy who has the money for a Ferrari. You gotta be someone that can afford all the bullshit that comes with owning a Ferrari. Dean Spanos is like a dipshit who saved all his money for a Ferrari and now lives in a one-bedroom apartment and has to park that thing on the street, where it gets fucked with daily.

Yeah, spending $650 million (10% of which will go directly into the pockets of his division rivals?) to move to LA does sound a lot like the same kind of stupidity that tells a man to fire Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season to replace him with Norv Turner.

Sometimes I wonder if my nephew is doomed, simply by being the son of a wealthy type A businessman.

Archived