Magical Items; What is potent?

OberynBlackfyre

So after hearing the interview from 2012 where GRRM talks about how he didn't want magic to be a certain type of "fake science", I was wondering if there was indeed a certain method in which he held certain properties in the story as more "magical" than others.  I'm going to list some, but please feel free to list others or to point out that some mentioned may be more/less potent than I think.

Weirwoods

-The reason I put weirwoods on the forefront is because there is much lore concerning these trees, and it appears that one doesn't have to be "special" at all for them to have an affect upon the person.  For instance, Jaime has his somewhat prophetic dream of Brienne as he is leaving Harrenhall- powerful enough for him to actually go back and want to save her.  

-Not only were they used for communication, Greenseers could obviously somewhat use them as conduits to make their own powers more acute, hence Bloodraven/ 

-It is foreshadowed that weirwood arrows could be poisonous to dragons.

-Weirwoods are almost always present with the culture of the Children of the Forest. 

-Magical items such as the doors to House of Black and White and The Black Gate are made from Weirwood.  

Blood/Kingsblood

-Through both symbolism and statements from within the books, we know that blood magic is probably the darkest, however most potent, of the magics used by "mages". 

-We first see it with MMD when Daenerys commands her to save Khal Drogos life.  While we don't know exactly what happens, we know that BLOOD and SHADOWS played a role.  

-Maggy the Frog uses a drop of blood to foresee the future. 

-The Red Woman uses KINGSBLOOD to seemingly kill the other false Kings of Westeros, however references kingsblood and blood magic many a time.  

-Summerhall had many magical elements considered in what happened, the presence of Kingsblood was obviously there. 

-The rebirth of the dragons seemingly dealt with Kingsblood and possibly a blood of a mage.  

-Blood of the dragon and Stark blood seems to carry somewhat magical properties in terms of warging (also Dragonriding), and things like visions.  

Elements 

-Each element has had an avatar like being to symbolize its power.  Ice has the White Walkers and Wights, and The Wall.  Fire has dragons, and the "Fire Blessed" which are the people brought back by R'Hllor. Water has the Old Men of the River, and we know from HISTORY, that the Roynar had water wizards that could even kill dragons.  

-It has been stated by GRRM many times that the seasons of Planetos are heavily magic based.  

-It is heavily foreshadowed that the Children could use elemental magic, breaking the Arm of Dorne, and even creating the White Walkers.  

Shadow Magic/Shade of the Evening

-The reason I put these together is due to the fact that I think whatever powered the House of the Undying was very much in shadow binding and whatever is the base for the "Shade of the evening".

-Quaithe is a shadowbinder, which we know can manipulate light and shadows.  

-Melisandre uses glamours, and commands shadows.  

-The black barked trees with blue leaves conjure a type of "shadow weirwood" vibe, as we know Weirwood itself also has potent magical properties.  

Thanks for the topic .. how about (as mentioned in another topic) - the body/body parts of dead people as being a magical item of sorts?

We have Jaime's sword hand laying around somewhere, potentially the Clegane(s), a Stark (bodies (Ned & Robb?)) unaccounted for - these could be considered somewhat magical if we believe that the bones remember ...

What do you think the Citadel is going to do with Ameon's body?

How about Valyrian Steel and Dragon Eggs?  Dire Wolves?  Horns?  

Mel has a case full of glamours, which isn't really magic, but there may be some magic to it particularly in the instance of everyone mistaking Rattle Shirt for Mance.    

You might want to add weirwood paste that seems to work like shade of the evening.  Opening one's telepathic powers is surely magic.   

Glass candles? Flaming swords? Wildfyre?  The Faceless Men who can assume the appearances of others?  Mysterious black rocks and dragon fire fused rock? 

I know I'm going to kick myself for forgetting so much.  I will follow to see what everyone comes up with.   Fun topic.  

On 12/31/2016 at 7:52 AM, Yaya said:

Thanks for the topic .. how about (as mentioned in another topic) - the body/body parts of dead people as being a magical item of sorts?

We have Jaime's sword hand laying around somewhere, potentially the Clegane(s), a Stark (bodies (Ned & Robb?)) unaccounted for - these could be considered somewhat magical if we believe that the bones remember ...

What do you think the Citadel is going to do with Ameon's body?

you know the body parts thing I actually thought about but I was thinking that blood sacrifice would kinda cover that.  However I do wonder if CERTAIN body parts would be more magical than other ones?

On 1/2/2017 at 3:27 PM, Curled Finger said:

How about Valyrian Steel and Dragon Eggs?  Dire Wolves?  Horns?  

Mel has a case full of glamours, which isn't really magic, but there may be some magic to it particularly in the instance of everyone mistaking Rattle Shirt for Mance.    

You might want to add weirwood paste that seems to work like shade of the evening.  Opening one's telepathic powers is surely magic.   

Glass candles? Flaming swords? Wildfyre?  The Faceless Men who can assume the appearances of others?  Mysterious black rocks and dragon fire fused rock? 

I know I'm going to kick myself for forgetting so much.  I will follow to see what everyone comes up with.   Fun topic.  

AHHH Obsidian!  the glass candles!  thank you for the amazing catches! I totally need to add the FM face changing too, because that goes much farther than any glamour.  

Horns we haven't seen any magical abilities from necessarily just yet,  Rumored yes.  Same with Valyrian steel.  No doubt magic was used while creating it, I just don't know it the swords themselves have any magic.

They're not really items, but prophecies and green dreams could be part of the discussion. I suspect runes and ruins may also have magical powers.

ETA: Snarks and Grumkins are also magical players behind the scenes. The non-grumkin-believers tend to die suddenly. (Grumkins have something to do with changeling babies and with magic swords.)

8 hours ago, OberynBlackfyre said:

you know the body parts thing I actually thought about but I was thinking that blood sacrifice would kinda cover that.  However I do wonder if CERTAIN body parts would be more magical than other ones?

If we believe Varys' story from his childhood it wasn't his blood that was sacrificed, it was only his manhood. So there might be something to this.

7 hours ago, OberynBlackfyre said:

Horns we haven't seen any magical abilities from necessarily just yet,  Rumored yes.

While we haven't seen a horn accomplish its stated goal yet, I would argue that there is definitely something magical about Euron's horn that burns men's lungs inside their bodies.

As far as additions to the list I'm thinking gemstones, or at least something to capture that ruby that Mel wears around her neck. There's something going on with that. And the GEotD focused very heavily on gemstone imagery and they seem to have been pretty steeped in magic.

17 hours ago, OberynBlackfyre said:

AHHH Obsidian!  the glass candles!  thank you for the amazing catches! I totally need to add the FM face changing too, because that goes much farther than any glamour.  

Horns we haven't seen any magical abilities from necessarily just yet,  Rumored yes.  Same with Valyrian steel.  No doubt magic was used while creating it, I just don't know it the swords themselves have any magic.

I see @Red Man Racey picked up where I was going with at least Euron's horn.   Thankee Sai.  

The Faceless Men are intriguing.  Their tricks are unparalleled as far as I can see.  You could have an entirely separate category of magical people, Red Priests, COTF, Warlocks, Green Dreamers, Green Seers, Dragon Riders I'm sure there are lots I've overlooked here. You might want to consider faces as body parts along with hands and what does @The Fattest Leech call it?   Dangling fun bits.  I will offer up Bran's legs as sacrifices too, as without this injury I don't think Bran's 3rd eye would have opened.  

Will you be updating your list at all?   I'd like to read it all when you get it where you want it.   I don't think we pay as much attention to the magical items as we should.    For all it's worth, I figure Shade of the Evening is the opposite of Weirwood Paste affecting the same visions but bent to the drinker or maybe even the person who offers the drink.     I'm enjoying your level headed and even approach to your list.   

Archived