2016 Survey: Your Year in Entertainment

PetyrPunkinhead

So what was your year like in pop-culture and entertainment in 2016?

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016?
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016?
  7. Favorite video game of 2016?
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016?
  9. Favorite song of 2016?
  10. Favorite music album of 2016?
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016?
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?
  13. Favorite app of 2016?
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016?
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?
  16. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

1. Alan Rickman
  2. Stranger Things
  3. The Expanse
  4. Keanu 
  5. Arrival
  6. Hacksaw Ridge
  11. The Call by Peadar O Guilin
  12. The Walking Dead Book 13
  15. The Dice Tower

Is this supposed to be new in 2016 or just new to us in 2016?  I treated it as the former.

The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Maybe because it's so soon, but even after a time I still think it would be Carrie Fisher

Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?

Travelers

Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?

Game of Thrones

Favorite comedy film of 2016?

(From what I hear it just may be "Bad Moms" but I still actually have to see it)

Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Captain America: Civil War

Favorite drama film of 2016?

Since I usually watch movies on DVD/Streaming and the best dramas (usually) come out towards the end of the year I'm usually a year behind, so for now I have to say "Spotlight"

Favorite video game of 2016?

Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Favorite song of 2016?

Favorite music album of 2016?

Favorite book you read in 2016?

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

Favorite app of 2016?

Favorite talk show host in 2016?

John Oliver

Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiH828EtgQjTyNIMH6YiOSw

Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) - Alan Rickman
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? - Stranger things
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? - Probably Survivor
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? - Deadpool
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? - Rogue One or Civil War (to close to call)
  6. Favorite video game of 2016? - Dark Souls 3
  7. Favorite book you read in 2016? - It by stephen King (didn't read much new stuff, so I'll go with an old favorite that I read again)
  8. Favorite app of 2016? - 5e spell list for Dungeons and Dragons
  9. Favorite talk show host in 2016? - John Oliver
  10. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? - Geek and Sundry (found Critical Role this year and love it)

1. Alan Rickman
  2. Daredevil Season 2
  3. The Americans Season 4
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. I think I watched "Carol" in January, so let it be :D
  8. Sleeping At Last
  9. "Take it Off", @Lyanna Stark, you will appreciate this :D 
  11. "The Gardens of the Moon" - Steven Erickson.
  14. Graham Norton
  15. Screen Junkies

1. Carrie Fisher 

2. Stranger Things 

3. Game of Thrones 

4. Deadpool 

5. Hacksaw Ridge 

6. Hell or High Water 

7. Uncharted 4

8. The Lumineers 

9. Ophelia 

10. The Lumineers - Cleopatra

11. Sharp Ends - Joe Abercrombie 

12. Saga - Brian K Vaughan & Fiona Staples 

13. N/A

14. Bill Maher 

15. Chris Stuckman

16. N/A

The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Victoria Wood

Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?

Stranger Things or The Expanse

Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?

Westworld

Favorite comedy film of 2016?

N/A

Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Rogue One

Favorite drama film of 2016?

N/A

Favorite video game of 2016?

N/A

Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Wolf Alice (not new in 2016 but new to me)

Favorite song of 2016?

N/A

Favorite music album of 2016?

N/A

Favorite book you read in 2016?

The Obelisk Gate

I found TV was of a very high standard this year, for me at least. I was hard pressed to choose a favourite. Didnt watch many new films and as always i dont keep up to date with newly released music. I tend to be years behind everyone else :D 

Read some very good books too.

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Bowie
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Shameless
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Better Call Saul
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016?
  5. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Rogue One
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? Dark Souls 3
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016? Tedeschi Trucks Band
  9. Favorite song of 2016? Take It Easy (Ever After Lasting Love) by White Denim
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? Tedeschi Trucks Band - Let Me Get By
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? Lucifer #2 (graphic novel)
  13. Favorite app of 2016?
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? Epicnamebro

1. Pat Summitt

2. Humans, season 2 (I DVRed the 8 episodes and then binge watched them.)

3. Supergirl (It's not a great show, but I highly enjoy watching it with my 8 y/o daughter.)

4. Secret Life of Pets

11. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

12. Saga

13. Tianjin's public bus app (I personally find it very highly useful.)

14. Samantha Bee

16. (I deeply hated social media last year because of its huge influence upon USA's election cycle.)

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!)

Carrie Fisher. Out of all the celebs that passed in 2016, she was the one I would have most like to have met and whose work had the biggest impact on my life.

1. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?

This is a tough one for me as I binged a lot—like, a lot, a lot—of good TV in 2016.  However, this was the year for Stranger Things. All hail.

1. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?

Game of Thrones S6 wins this one with Walking Dead S6.2 & S7.1 a close second.

1. Favorite comedy film of 2016?

Deadpool.

1. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Arrival was the best sci-fi film I saw in 2016, but the best sci-fi/action film was Rogue One.

1. Favorite drama film of 2016?

I really should’ve made this category best documentary because looking back, I watched more docs than dramas that were released in 2016.  I guess I could put Arrival in this category as it was technically a sci-fi drama.

1. Favorite video game of 2016?

I’m not a big gamer (and apparently neither are others on here) but I played a helluva lot of Minecraft and Words With Friends.

1. Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Even though they have been around for a while and they blew up in 2015 with Blurryface, 2016 is the year I discovered I really like Twenty One Pilots.

1. Favorite song of 2016?

“A Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga. There were a couple of songs I first discovered in 2016 that I liked better than this one, but those came out in 2015. "A Million Reasons" came out in 2016, and I really dig it.

1. Favorite music album of 2016?

We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest. This is the comeback album I never knew I wanted.

1. Favorite book you read in 2016?

I didn’t actually read any novels that were released in 2016, but I did read and love Castle In the Air, which is Diana Wynne Jones’ follow up novel to Howl’s Moving Castle. (Which is another great book, but one I read in 2015.)

1. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

I have to echo the sentiments of several others here and say Vaughn & Staples’ Saga was the best comic I read in 2016. (Looking forward to reading issue 41 soon!)

1. Favorite app of 2016?

Does Siri count as an app? If so, then that. If not, then I suppose my favorite app that was new to me in 2016 would be the Amazon Music app. I joined Prime in August and finally put this app on my phone in November. I don’t use Spotify or Pandora, but I have been using this one quite a lot since downloading it.

1. Favorite talk show host in 2016?

This was a tough one as all the hosts put up entertaining clips almost weekly on YouTube. I enjoyed John Oliver a lot, and his was the only show I actually watched entire episodes of. However, Stephen Colbert’s nightly take on 2016 and the election insanity was the winner for me.

1. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?

In summer 2016 I was endlessly entertained by all things Action Bronson on YouTube. However, the majority of Bronson stuff was on various channels and not just the clips on the Munchies channel. I also enjoyed the Hot Ones interviews. But the one channel I enjoyed the most in 2016 was Joe Rogan’s podcast on the PowerfulJRE channel.

1. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

Adele’s Carpool Karaoke was something I watched several times throughout the year just when I needed to cheer up.           

https://youtu.be/Nck6BZga7TQ

The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Carrie Fisher

Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Sense8 / Stranger Things tie

Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Game of Thrones

Favorite comedy film of 2016?  Deadpool

Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016? Rogue One

Favorite drama film of 2016? Hell or Highwater

Favorite video game of 2016? NA, probably first year in my life I don't remember playing a video or arcade game?

Favorite musical artist of 2016? Volbeat, saw them live twice, wish I had gone more

Favorite song of 2016? My House, Flo Rida

Favorite music album of 2016? Volbeat, got a free digital copy when I bought concert tickets, don't buy albums so it wins by default

Favorite book you read in 2016? Only read a few and all were Jack Reacher novels, all basically the same. Tried reading new Lisbeth Salander book but it didn't catch me, written by a new author because the original one passed away.

Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? I will add Dilbert here since I don't read comics

Favorite app of 2016? Not a big app user, Guess it should be my local library app, free digital book downloads

Favorite talk show host in 2016? NA don't watch them

Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? NA don't watch any

Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016? Tough since most of it is garbage, hateful or faked. So I would say a picture of me and my three friends someone posted. We have been friends for 30 years now and one of the group isn't around much, maybe once every 3 years for a funeral or something, so it was a good time this summer when he was with us for 4th of July party.

4 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Carrie Fisher. Out of all the celebs that passed in 2016, she was the one I would have most like to have met and whose work had the biggest impact on my life.

1. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016?

This is a tough one for me as I binged a lot—like, a lot, a lot—of good TV in 2016.  However, this was the year for Stranger Things. All hail.

1. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016?

Game of Thrones S6 wins this one with Walking Dead S6.2 & S7.1 a close second.

1. Favorite comedy film of 2016?

Deadpool.

1. Favorite action/sci-fi film of 2016?

Arrival was the best sci-fi film I saw in 2016, but the best sci-fi/action film was Rogue One.

1. Favorite drama film of 2016?

I really should’ve made this category best documentary because looking back, I watched more docs than dramas that were released in 2016.  I guess I could put Arrival in this category as it was technically a sci-fi drama.

1. Favorite video game of 2016?

I’m not a big gamer (and apparently neither are others on here) but I played a helluva lot of Minecraft and Words With Friends.

1. Favorite musical artist of 2016?

Even though they have been around for a while and they blew up in 2015 with Blurryface, 2016 is the year I discovered I really like Twenty One Pilots.

1. Favorite song of 2016?

“A Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga. There were a couple of songs I first discovered in 2016 that I liked better than this one, but those came out in 2015. "A Million Reasons" came out in 2016, and I really dig it.

1. Favorite music album of 2016?

We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest. This is the comeback album I never knew I wanted.

1. Favorite book you read in 2016?

I didn’t actually read any novels that were released in 2016, but I did read and love Castle In the Air, which is Diana Wynne Jones’ follow up novel to Howl’s Moving Castle. (Which is another great book, but one I read in 2015.)

1. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?

I have to echo the sentiments of several others here and say Vaughn & Staples’ Saga was the best comic I read in 2016. (Looking forward to reading issue 41 soon!)

1. Favorite app of 2016?

Does Siri count as an app? If so, then that. If not, then I suppose my favorite app that was new to me in 2016 would be the Amazon Music app. I joined Prime in August and finally put this app on my phone in November. I don’t use Spotify or Pandora, but I have been using this one quite a lot since downloading it.

1. Favorite talk show host in 2016?

This was a tough one as all the hosts put up entertaining clips almost weekly on YouTube. I enjoyed John Oliver a lot, and his was the only show I actually watched entire episodes of. However, Stephen Colbert’s nightly take on 2016 and the election insanity was the winner for me.

1. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?

In summer 2016 I was endlessly entertained by all things Action Bronson on YouTube. However, the majority of Bronson stuff was on various channels and not just the clips on the Munchies channel. I also enjoyed the Hot Ones interviews. But the one channel I enjoyed the most in 2016 was Joe Rogan’s podcast on the PowerfulJRE channel.

1. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?

Adele’s Carpool Karaoke was something I watched several times throughout the year just when I needed to cheer up.           

https://youtu.be/Nck6BZga7TQ

Off topic but I use the Amazon Music App too (for the same reason - make the most of my Prine Membership, since i'll not pay full price once i lose student prime). Do you ever find it runs slowly and crashes a lot if you are not connected to the internet or have no data? Even if you are listening to offline music? This has happened to me a few times,things like playlists getting stuck on "loading". 

I also sometimes find that if i am trying to preview a song before i download it, they wont play if its from an artist/band i already have in my library.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 7:54 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

14. Samantha Bee

I have a friend who is really on me to give Samantha Bee a try. I thought she was meh on The Daily Show. Maybe since John Oliver is on hiatus I'll finally give her a shot...

On 1/4/2017 at 7:34 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Off topic but I use the Amazon Music App too (for the same reason - make the most of my Prine Membership, since i'll not pay full price once i lose student prime). Do you ever find it runs slowly and crashes a lot if you are not connected to the internet or have no data? Even if you are listening to offline music? This has happened to me a few times,things like playlists getting stuck on "loading". 

I also sometimes find that if i am trying to preview a song before i download it, they wont play if its from an artist/band i already have in my library.

I mostly use it with wi-fi on an iPhone 6s, and I can't recall it ever crashing on me. I have had one or two times when it got stuck on loading. I had to close the app and try it again. However, it's not a regular problem for me at all. :/ I find myself downloading an album, listening to it, then deleting stuff I don't like and keeping the songs I do like for when I drive so I don't eat up data. 

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I have a friend who is really on me to give Samantha Bee a try. I thought she was meh on The Daily Show. Maybe since John Oliver is on hiatus I'll finally give her a shot...

Yes, you should. If you like Oliver's Last Week Tonight, you will most likely enjoy Full Frontal as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? Anton Yelchin (too young)
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Daredevil season 2
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Westworld
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? Deadpool
  6. Favorite drama film of 2016? Arrival
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? XCOM 2
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016?  Bear McCreary
  9. Favorite song of 2016? Sia - The Greatest
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? season 2 soundtrack of Outlander by Bear McCreary
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? Babylon's Ashes by James SA Corey for new releases (A Game of Thrones for all reads) 
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016?  N/A
  13. Favorite app of 2016?  N/A
  14. Favorite talk show host in 2016? John Oliver (but besides him, I mostly stopped watching others)
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016? Ozzy Man Reviews (only subscribed this year, but he made the end of the year for me)
  16. Favorite thing you saw on social media in 2016?  N/A

I'm glad to see Arrival on more lists here. Also glad it got some Oscar nom love, but I'm not looking for it to win much of anything since this is the year of La La Land.

On 1/15/2017 at 6:29 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Yes, you should. If you like Oliver's Last Week Tonight, you will most likely enjoy Full Frontal as well.

Finally caught an episode of hers last week. I can dig it.

1. The one celebrity that died in 2016 you’d bring back? (There can be only one!) Carrie Fisher
  2. Favorite TV show you binge watched in 2016? Shameless
  3. Favorite TV show you watched week to week in 2016? Game of Thrones/ The Affair
  4. Favorite comedy film of 2016? Deadpool
  7. Favorite video game of 2016? -
  8. Favorite musical artist of 2016? Minor Victories
  9. Favorite song of 2016? Folk Arp by Minor Victories
  10. Favorite music album of 2016? Minor Victories selftitled
  11. Favorite book you read in 2016? Summer Knight (Dresden Files #4) by Jim Butcher
  12. Favorite comic book/graphic novel you read in 2016? Thorgal #35
  13. Favorite app of 2016? Spotify
  15. Favorite YouTube channel in 2016?

Archived