A Song of Ice and Fire: The Animated Series

k i n g

Doesn't an animated series of A Song of Ice and Fire that is a 100% direct adaptation sound like an incredibly good idea?

When I say animated I'm not talking about anime or some Disneyland, dumbed down for kids type of show here. I'm thinking more a long the lines or a serious, more adult adaptation. I could easily see a well done series like this going well into 250-300 episodes. They could follow the entire story and release this like books. Book 1 and book 2 on a special Blu-ray DVD.

I'd love to see books come to life in it's complete entirety in some form, ASOIAF would make an awesome animated series. Especially because we wouldn't need to worry about VFX budgets anymore and quite frankly you could arguably get away with so much more with an animated series. It'd be a great alternative for the fans, and newcomers alike.

tumblr_npvfyyRhT01spgvw5o1_1280.jpg

8 hours ago, k i n g said:

Doesn't an animated series of A Song of Ice and Fire that is a 100% direct adaptation sound like an incredibly good idea?

When I say animated I'm not talking about anime or some Disneyland, dumbed down for kids type of show here. I'm thinking more a long the lines or a serious, more adult adaptation. I could easily see a well done series like this going well into 250-300 episodes. They could follow the entire story and release this like books. Book 1 and book 2 on a special Blu-ray DVD.

I'd love to see books come to life in it's complete entirety in some form, ASOIAF would make an awesome animated series. Especially because we wouldn't need to worry about VFX budgets anymore and quite frankly you could arguably get away with so much more with an animated series. It'd be a great alternative for the fans, and newcomers alike.

tumblr_npvfyyRhT01spgvw5o1_1280.jpg

To be sure, animation wouldn't suffer from the specific budget constraints that GOT does. An animated series could have more and larger battle scenes. They could have carracks and cogs instead of row boats. There's a scene where Tyrion and Varys walk through Meereen and  the streets are inexplicably deserted.  I think their budget for extras was just tapped.  Likewise you often see wealthy nobles on foot because HBO can't afford enough horses.

The problem with animation is that it's expensive in general.  If you have to make 20-30 detailed drawings for every second of video, that's a lot of skilled labor, even to depict people sitting around talking.  I'm sure computers are getting better at in-betweening, so maybe it would be feasible.

The bigger problem is that HBO owns the film rights, and they're not like to sanction a competing version as long as GOT is making them money.  And it very much is.

The problem is money and such a series will need a huge amount of money. Money that no one will give because 'cartoons are for kids, adults won't watch it'.

At the moment Japan is the only place that could potentially do it, but they don't really adapt Western books over there.

While I think it's a good idea, 200 or 300 episodes is excessive. Any animated series of that duration tires the viewers, albeit ASoIaF. Without a doubt, I would like to see a miniseries of the Dunk and Egg tales, since those were written in a very "graphic" way, simple, entertaining and friendly to the small screen. In fact, I think if an animated series were made, the entry point to the market is the Dunk and Egg tales. Besides, Dunk is a very friendly character and I think even people who did not see the series or read the books might like it. It's like your standard story of knights and intrigues "from the creators of Game of Thrones" (gives a great plus in marketing). I see a winning formula there, if HBO got down to business.

On 1/2/2017 at 4:04 AM, Dofs said:

The problem is money and such a series will need a huge amount of money. Money that no one will give because 'cartoons are for kids, adults won't watch it'.

At the moment Japan is the only place that could potentially do it, but they don't really adapt Western books over there.

I'm an adult; I watch anime. However, you are right Japan is not likely to adept Western books.

21 hours ago, Slowpoke Martin said:

Hahaha, careful though, speaking of GRRM as anything else than a God amongst us is a death sentence on this site.

I read this yesterday, and didn't really think anything of it.  Today I see the thread about the comment The George gave saying nothing really, and see it's locked to prevent possible future comments against his Grace.  Honestly asking, did I say anything of the sort?

36 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

I read this yesterday, and didn't really think anything of it.  Today I see the thread about the comment The George gave saying nothing really, and see it's locked to prevent possible future comments against his Grace.  Honestly asking, did I say anything of the sort?

No, I just said that jokingly. It was just funny to me because people around here tend to get upset when GRRM's lack of completion comes up.

IMO an animated adaptation would be the best visual medium to tell the story of ASoIaF. It would be the only way you could reach all the depth of the story on screen.  It could be a very faithful adaptations without any of the limitations the TV show faces. Being able to hear what the characters are thinking could be a great advantage.

It would be amazing to see the awesomeness that is described in the books like the iron throne and the wall. It's clear that George intended aSoIaF to be converted into an animated series.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:01 PM, Lord Lyman said:

I could see a Dunk and Egg anime being feasible. Each novella being neatly wrapped up in a 12-13 episode season.

I'm very dubious. The comics were a very faithful adaptation, and were divided in 6 issues per novella (150 pages per novella in total). I can't see how you could make an adaptation with more than six episodes without making up additional material.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, Philpenn said:

Counting Your Dragons Before They've Hatched: The Animated Series.

Hows bouts we get an end to the story before 3/4 of it gets animated?

We don't need to, actually. A single, finished animated series can be made on the world of ASOIAF concerning a delimited span of events. Even a non animated one. If you watch  the first season of Game of Thrones as the rise and fall of the Starks and tweak an end to close it that way, I think it's awesome. Political intrigue, good vs bad polarization, climax, it has all of it. The risk of aiming a series that covers an entire saga is obvious: you cut a lot of stuff. It gets boring. Readers become dissatisfied, whatever. But if you just take a portion of that saga, as a tale, and work on putting as a nutshell, it can work wonders. This is partly why I think the tales of Dunk and Egg are made to fit the small screen. 

Archived