Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

24 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Apparently a pivotal scene in IX was supposed to be Leia confronting Kylo Ren. I really don't think that would work well with a CGI Leia.

The other big one which was apparently set for 9 was Leia and Luke reuniting.  Episode 8 sounds like a barn burner.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me that Fisher has passed. :(

I prefer recasting her with an actress that can mimic Fisher as General Leia as closely as possible. Moral implications aside, I don't think the technology is even quite there yet to convincingly pull this off for a major character. Tarkin and Leia's brief cameo in Rogue One were one thing, but it sounds like she'll have a substantial amount of screen time in Episode IX. My guess is that they were splitting the focus on the three old leads up between the three movies -- Han got most of the screen time in VII, Luke will probably get the most time in VIII, and Leia will probably get the most in IX. 

3 hours ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

I prefer recasting her with an actress that can mimic Fisher as General Leia as closely as possible. Moral implications aside, I don't think the technology is even quite there yet to convincingly pull this off for a major character. Tarkin and Leia's brief cameo in Rogue One were one thing, but it sounds like she'll have a substantial amount of screen time in Episode IX. My guess is that they were splitting the focus on the three old leads up between the three movies -- Han got most of the screen time in VII, Luke will probably get the most time in VIII, and Leia will probably get the most in IX. 

If they recast her that's not going to happen.  They will change it so that she gets killed by Ren or something and then have Luke confront him like she would have.  A new actor as Leia just isn't going to work for anything more than a brief scene like Tarkin in Revenge of the Sith.  They are either going to CGI her or kill her off almost immediately.  

I don't think this will happen in 8, but I think at some point Kylo Ren will learn that Vader was redeemed. I don't think he knows this, and given his idolizing him, it's bound to be have a huge impact on him.

As for what will happen in 8, I will predict that Captain Phasma will hunt Rey and Finn down with a team of bounty hunters.

Surely at some point Han/Leia/Luke must have talked to him about this? Assuming Luke began to train Kylo (amongst others), it seems kind of crazy to think he wouldn't have used the example of Anakin at some point.

True, but I've yet to see any indication that he is aware. And if he is aware why is he both worshiping Vader and pursuing the dark side at once? Perhaps there's some explanation, but his behavior doesn't seem to match with him knowing about the redemption. Actually I suspect he thinks Luke killed him. Perhaps Luke said something about defeating him or the like.

Hopefully more light on this will come in the next episode. Maybe Snoke's background and involvement will explain it.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

The CGI route would only be vaguely acceptable because she worked with the CGI team on the Rogue One appearance, so clearly she was in favour of the technology in that instance. Otherwise, I think a respectful recasting would be acceptable.

Writing her out is the easy thing to do, but for Leia to disappear off-screen between movies is lame (as I'm sure Carrier Fisher would be the first to agree), especially given that there will (presumably) be groundwork laid for her Episode IX role in VIII that will now not work, and might be jarring. They could use her VIII material and maybe cut scenes from VII  and some judicious voiceovers to try to take the story in a new direction in VIII, which might work.

Having had some time to not instantly think about star wars after her death I now have a few thoughts.

I think there's a strong chance EP VIII will be rejigged so that it explains why she either isn't present (or hardly present) in the final film. We don't know for sure what happens to Leia in the next film - it may be she wasn't going to be in xi at all.

Killing the character off also feels a bit creepy given her recent death but it seems the easiest way. I do hope they manage to have a reunion with Luke. Even if it is a CGI hologram concersation or something like that. After the CGI in Rogue one I'd hope they'd keep it to a minimum if they use a body double with CGI face.

As for what will happen in EPVIII in general I just hope there's some answers regarding snoke, luke and the knights of ren and not just more set up for loose ends. I don't need all the answers in the next film but some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Some more Dameron and Finn would be nice too. I still wonder whether Finn could be a force user and whether it's a double bluff they played on us in TFA. Although I'd be absolutely fine with him just being a regular reformed storm trooper.

53 minutes ago, sperry said:

Jedi aren't always big on disseminating important personal information. Remember that Obi-Wan didn't bother to tell Luke that Vader was his father and he and Yoda both didn't tell him that Leia was his sister.

The entire thematic point of Luke not turning in comparison to Anakin was because of his friends and so not being a "Jedi" like that.

I think there's a strong chance EP VIII will be rejigged so that it explains why she either isn't present (or hardly present) in the final film. We don't know for sure what happens to Leia in the next film - it may be she wasn't going to be in xi at all.

According to the producers, Leia was going to have a role in VIII but a much bigger role in IX (I suspect because she would confront her son in IX), which has made all of this quite problematic.

48 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

The entire thematic point of Luke not turning in comparison to Anakin was because of his friends and so not being a "Jedi" like that.

This. Unless Luke somehow lost his way in building the new Jedi order, becoming like the old Jedi as he aged. That wouldn't surprise me either given the cyclical nature of the series. Though my guess is Luke told Kylo Ren about what happened to Vader, he just chooses not to believe it, assuming it's Jedi propaganda. Maybe it's a combination of both and Luke said he turned to the light but was somewhat vague on the details. 

On 03/01/2017 at 0:55 AM, Wolfgang I said:

Kyle Katarn shows up and saves the day! HK-47 can come to. Just kidding but I have always liked some of the Star Wars game characters way more than the movie characters. 

Statement: I do not want to be involved with these modern meatbags they already have proven inferior.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Having had some time to not instantly think about star wars after her death I now have a few thoughts.

Killing the character off also feels a bit creepy given her recent death but it seems the easiest way. I do hope they manage to have a reunion with Luke. Even if it is a CGI hologram concersation or something like that. After the CGI in Rogue one I'd hope they'd keep it to a minimum if they use a body double with CGI face.

As for what will happen in EPVIII in general I just hope there's some answers regarding snoke, luke and the knights of ren and not just more set up for loose ends. I don't need all the answers in the next film but some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Some more Dameron and Finn would be nice too. I still wonder whether Finn could be a force user and whether it's a double bluff they played on us in TFA. Although I'd be absolutely fine with him just being a regular reformed storm trooper.

I could do without Dameron to be honest. I don't think he added a lot to the film really, and his character didn't leave much of an impression. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I could do without Dameron to be honest. I don't think he added a lot to the film really, and his character didn't leave much of an impression. 

The original plan was to kill him off in the crash, but they liked Oscar Isaac enough to keep him alive, which is why he doesn't seem to add much. He had great chemistry with Finn though and Isaac's a very good actor, so I'm hoping he gets a more significant role in VIII.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

44 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

The original plan was to kill him off in the crash, but they liked Oscar Isaac enough to keep him alive, which is why he doesn't seem to add much. He had great chemistry with Finn though and Isaac's a very good actor, so I'm hoping he gets a more significant role in VIII.

As SENP says, his role was expanded in Poest production. 

Now you say that I think I remember it being mentioned in the SW threads back when the film was released. Still, while Oscar Isaac's is a good actor and had good chemistry with Boyega I'm not really feeling he is something to look out for in the next film. I won't complain if he's there but I'm not anticipating/excited for an expanded role for him.

20 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I don't think this will happen in 8, but I think at some point Kylo Ren will learn that Vader was redeemed. I don't think he knows this, and given his idolizing him, it's bound to be have a huge impact on him.

As for what will happen in 8, I will predict that Captain Phasma will hunt Rey and Finn down with a team of bounty hunters.

Spoiler

Actually he does know in a extended scene with Ren and Snoke when talking about Han Solo:

"It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did.”

Ren nodded once. “Sentiment.”

“Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment—had the father killed the son—the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker’s return today.”

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-supreme-leader-snoke-theories-andy-serkis/

6 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Actually he does know in a extended scene with Ren and Snoke when talking about Han Solo:

"It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did.”

Ren nodded once. “Sentiment.”

“Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment—had the father killed the son—the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalker’s return today.”

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-supreme-leader-snoke-theories-andy-serkis/

Isn't that incorrect anyway? Even had Vader not turned on the Emperor, the Empire would still have crumbled. The Death Star would still have been destroyed and the Emperor killed

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Stannis answers this for me

10 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

If they expand his role I'm confident Isaac can make him a solo-ish type character. Besides Apocalypse (which was a broken character to work with) he's always impressed me in his roles. Having a regular character is also important for Star Wars as otherwise most of the new characters are all known or potential force users.

Archived