Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

2 hours ago, Leap said:

Eh,  not bad. There's nothing wrong with it, and really the title shouldn't matter as much as it does. 

Not surprised they release this now, what with Rogue One just hitting a billion worldwide, it's the right time to start greasing the mighty cogs of the Episode VIII hype engine.

To be honest I think it's got more to do with, like Mark Antony hinted, the Superb Owl weekend being in two weeks than anything Rogue One is doing.

Saw a meme that I thought was both funny and relevant.

Episode II - (Picture of Dooku duel) Anakin loses an arm

Episode V - (Picture of Cloud City duel) Luke loses a hand

Episode VIII - (Picture of Rey) Guess What?

55 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be honest I think it's got more to do with, like Mark Antony hinted, the Superb Owl weekend being in two weeks than anything Rogue One is doing.

Superb Owl. My favorite weekend of the year. :lol:

(Confession: I stopped to think what movie "Superb Owl" was before recognizing the typo.:

21 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Superb Owl. My favorite weekend of the year. :lol:

(Confession: I stopped to think what movie "Superb Owl" was before recognizing the typo.:

Its actually not a typo... its an intentional thing.  Goes back to the fact that you can't actually use the term Super Bowl in a lot of situations due to copyright, I think.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw a meme that I thought was both funny and relevant.

Episode II - (Picture of Dooku duel) Anakin loses an arm

Episode V - (Picture of Cloud City duel) Luke loses a hand

Episode VIII - (Picture of Rey) Guess What?

I'm assuming nothing cause shes the best at everything immediately.

What the title might mean.

I mean, it's 100% Luke, but it is an interesting question. Who gets to name people Jedi and who gets to un-name them? More interestingly, what does that mean for the Rebels crew? It probably reinforces the idea that Kanan, Ahsoka and Ezra are toast at some point, or at least never become official Jedi.

I'm not a fan of the semantic idea though. "Luke, you are the last Jedi. I mean, there's these other three guys over here who can fight with lightsabres and use the Force, but Yoda never gave them their Jedi Diplomas, so they don't count. Don't worry about them."

4 hours ago, sperry said:

Can't imagine the "last jedi" is literal, considering the want to make a shitload more of these movies.

Maybe they'll be a different order of force users by the end of the trilogy? Maybe with Luke saying something to Rey like "I tried training more Jedi and it failed, we need to create something different - something better". It would also continue the prophecy of him bringing balance to the force because surely setting up an academy of Jedi when there appears to be no more Sith isn't exactly balancing things?

I highly doubt they'd abandon the term Jedi further down the road though.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm not a fan of the semantic idea though. "Luke, you are the last Jedi. I mean, there's these other three guys over here who can fight with lightsabres and use the Force, but Yoda never game them their Jedi Diplomas, so they don't count. Don't worry about them."

It must be a nightmare to translate into languages where the plural form of "you" is clearly defined. If Yoda had been German this could have been cleared up right away :)

Ultimately the title is pretty cool and may not mean much other than that. Thinking about "the force awakens" it doesn't really make much sense as Kylo and the knights of ren are running around so even if Rey activates it's not like it's really been dormant.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

What the title might mean.

I mean, it's 100% Luke, but it is an interesting question. Who gets to name people Jedi and who gets to un-name them? More interestingly, what does that mean for the Rebels crew? It probably reinforces the idea that Kanan, Ahsoka and Ezra are toast at some point, or at least never become official Jedi.

I'm not a fan of the semantic idea though. "Luke, you are the last Jedi. I mean, there's these other three guys over here who can fight with lightsabres and use the Force, but Yoda never gave them their Jedi Diplomas, so they don't count. Don't worry about them."

Like the guy in your comment section pointed out, the plural of Jedi is Jedi. It does give the show some wriggle room of having all remaining surviving Jedi uniting to fight the First Order. I don't see it happening, but I guess it is a possibility. 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe they'll be a different order of force users by the end of the trilogy? Maybe with Luke saying something to Rey like "I tried training more Jedi and it failed, we need to create something different - something better".

Interesting point. So the title might not be simply referring to Luke as "the last remaining Jedi, at this point in time". But he could be the actual last Jedi... ever. Adds a bit of weight and significance to the title, if so.

1 minute ago, AndrewJ said:

Interesting point. So the title might not be simply referring to Luke as "the last remaining Jedi, at this point in time". But he could be the actual last Jedi... ever. Adds a bit of weight and significance to the title, if so.

At the time they did think that he was the last Jedi. Well sort of at least after Yoda died. But now there is a RETURN OF THE JEDI. Until now where there inst.

Yeah - I've been working on the assumption that he's going to train Rey as a Jedi. So, while he may be the last Jedi currently, he might not remain so. And I realise that may not necessarily be the case. The title of the movie could point to the fact that he will be last.

2 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

The plural of Jedi is Jedi. 

It is but I guess that still means Luke and Rey unless they find some more in this film. It would seem odd for more to turn up in the next film or at least anticlimactic.

The Last Jedi could be a theme of the movie, to get Luke out of isolation. If he doesn't train a new Jedi then he is the end and only the dark side will have power.

I really don't think I like this direction though. I mean TFA was already way too much like ANH in my opinion. The "force special" kid found on a desert planet with potentially a secret past. Now (assuming The last Jedi is Luke) finds an old Jedi who was in hiding to help come and fight the dark side. Instead of a Death Star you had Star Killer. You even had a funny looking wise old creature to help the young one, Yoda-Maz Kanata.

17 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Like the guy in your comment section pointed out, the plural of Jedi is Jedi. It does give the show some wriggle room of having all remaining surviving Jedi uniting to fight the First Order. I don't see it happening, but I guess it is a possibility. 

I don't see Ezra, Ashoka or Kanan showing up in the main movies though. It'd require way too much exposition and would come out of nowhere for the people who haven't seen the animated shows.

Archived