Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

Excellent. Got me excited for the film. A few theories already spinning in my head, damn it! Visually it looked great. Wondering who the short character is in those scenes with R2 and, with whom I assume, Luke and Rey. Made me think of Yoda, but hoping it's Maz :)

I can't describe why I am so underwhelmed by that. Maybe its because I've felt zero urge to re-watch force awakens, maybe its because the trope of 'training up an apprentice' is so tired these days, maybe its because I'm all 'Starwars'ed' out after Rogue One. I don't know, I'm just not feeling much of a buzz about this movie at all, maybe when I learn more about it I will feel my stomach butterflies, but until then I'm pretty meh about it.

Well I'm excited for this after the trailer even if others were underwhelmed. It is, after all, only a teaser, and I'm suitably teased. Gorgeous shots of the planet Rey is on, lots of battles teased (I thought I saw AT ATs too), brief shots of each character. As a teaser it was wonderful, just the right amount of footage to leave me wanting more but not so much as to give things away.

Pretty sure there was a shot of Phasma walking out of some smoke/flames. Hopefully given a better role that TFA.

No sign of Snoke but I have no doubt we'll see him. 

Wonder how long Finn will be out of action in this film. I hope not too long.

I thought that was Luke at the end speaking about the Jedi having to end. But I'm not the best at matching voices to actors so it could have been someone else

I like how it started, it first looked like a field of stars, then a planet surface and then it's just a boulder.  It workd for me as a good teaser.

The one shot looked like Phasma was in involved in the destruction of Luke's Academy.

It is Luke's voice.  I strongly suspect he sees the problem of the Jedi is that they reject passion and emotion.  I strongly suspect he's see's the "Jedi code" as part of the problem.  Hence we hear Rey talking about "balance".  I'm willing to put money that what luke will be doing is saying that there is no "light side v. dark side" dichotomy.  That what matters is how the Force is used and why not "which side is used".

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It is Luke's voice.  I strongly suspect he sees the problem of the Jedi is that they reject passion and emotion.  I strongly suspect he's see's the "Jedi code" as part of the problem.  Hence we hear Rey talking about "balance".  I'm willing to put money that what luke will be doing is saying that there is no "light side v. dark side" dichotomy.  That what matters is how the Force is used and why not "which side is used".

And I'll be really happy if that's the direction the films are going in. I mean, it had been implied since RotJ that this is the message of Star Wars, if there is one - neither Luke nor Vader/Anakin are motivated by the rejection of personal ties and emotion at the end.So if this happens, it would be consolidating what the prequels + RotJ have already set up. 

I hope that the last film has a chance to sketch out how this new "balanced" idea of the Force would work in practice - that it doesn't just end with Ren/Rey/Finn/any surviving main characters having a cathartic and inspiring but extremely vague exchange about the failure of the Sith/Jedi dark/light system. 

Yeah, it's definitely Luke's voice. The audio balance was off, so the music was drowning out the voices, but I sacrificed for the forum and watched it multiple times.

Luke: Breathe.... Just breathe... Now. Reach out. What do you see?

Rey: Light. Darkness. It's a balance. It's so much bigger.

Luke: I only know one truth. it's time for the Jedi to end.

One truth?? ONE TRUTH? ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES! 

ahem

:) 

ETA: It's worth watching the Last Jedi panel from Celebration. After being grilled (again) from Josh Gad, Daisy talks a bit about part of Rey's journey is around her expectations aroud her training and how meeting your her doesn't always turn out how you expect.

2 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Yeah, it's definitely Luke's voice. The audio balance was off, so the music was drowning out the voices, but I sacrificed for the forum and watched it multiple times.

One truth?? ONE TRUTH? ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES! 

ahem

:) 

Nah, it's kind of the opposite. Everything else is fluid, perceptional, subjective. There is only one truth, which is oblivion. 

I was excited to think that this is where they were going to go with it, and I'm more excited still. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Nah, it's kind of the opposite. Everything else is fluid, perceptional, subjective. There is only one truth, which is oblivion. 

Agreed. I was just going for the obvious joke. :)

28 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I hope that the last film has a chance to sketch out how this new "balanced" idea of the Force would work in practice - that it doesn't just end with Ren/Rey/Finn/any surviving main characters having a cathartic and inspiring but extremely vague exchange about the failure of the Sith/Jedi dark/light system. 

Luke's new philosophical viewpoint of the Force.

15 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ok I watched it on a much better screen with a better sound system and now I can say I am far more Whelmed.

The Whelm Awakens?

Honestly this is about all they need to release before the movie comes out. Maybe a few more brief shots, but i don;t want to know the plot of this movie strictly from watching trailers. I know they will likely give us much more but I'm good with what we just saw. They basically have my money for as long as im alive, the franchise exists, the Drumpf doesn't end the world.  

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Next-gen A-wing in the space scenes? Although it looks more like a Jedi starfighter.

That is definitely a shot an A wing. I'm more exited about the new resistant ships which are not like anything that we have ever seen. They have a little bit of the hammerhead corvette look to them. 

As far as the trailer goes, I have only seen it a few dozen times so far, so my reaction is still early. I absolutely love it. The helmet is Kylo Ren's. I wonder if he breaks it himself in another fit. There is glass all around it, and it is smoking like it might have been on display and hit with a lightsaber. Could he still be conflicted? 

Also, the thing I am most intrigued by is the shot of what appears to be books surrounded by trees. Could this be a library of Yoda on Degobah? The voice of Yoda can very faintly be heard right there, but I can not for the life of me make out what is said.

Finally, I think the speculation that we will lose the Jedi is a bit premature. This may just be Luke's defeated response at the beginning of the movie. 

All in all, I can not wait. What a great celebration weekend so far, and what an amazing trailer. I have watched almost all of it. Starwars.com is rocking it.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Excellent. Got me excited for the film. A few theories already spinning in my head, damn it! Visually it looked great. Wondering who the short character is in those scenes with R2 and, with whom I assume, Luke and Rey. Made me think of Yoda, but hoping it's Maz :)

Which scene with R2? I only caught the one, which looks like Luke and R2 in front of a burning building (which I assumed was the destruction of Luke's attempt at a new Jedi order)

2 hours ago, Leofric said:

I like how it started, it first looked like a field of stars, then a planet surface and then it's just a boulder.  It workd for me as a good teaser.

The one shot looked like Phasma was in involved in the destruction of Luke's Academy.

The shot of Phasma doesn't look to me like it is definitely the Academy. Looks like the Resistance will be attacked (We see Poe running to his fighter and it being blown up) so it could be a shot of her during that attack

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Which scene with R2? I only caught the one, which looks like Luke and R2 in front of a burning building (which I assumed was the destruction of Luke's attempt at a new Jedi order)

The shot of Phasma doesn't look to me like it is definitely the Academy. Looks like the Resistance will be attacked (We see Poe running to his fighter and it being blown up) so it could be a shot of her during that attack

The movement of that cloaked figure led me to believe it was a much shorter character than Luke. That shot and Luke and Rey with a third small character on the Skellig Michael location.

Phasma wouldn't be the first to escape a trash compactor :)

Have we previously seen that image Rey is tracing with her finger when she mentions balance? It looks very familiar.

Archived