Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

19 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

You're not talking bout this "gey jedi" theory, are you? I'm not sure how it's a false dichotomy either. Especially in the realm of Star Wars. I mean, Lucas has said numerous times, and even again as recently as SWCO, that Star Wars was meant for 12-year-olds. It's meant to teach good from bad, wrong from right, dark from light. Sith v Jedi. In Rebels they've expanded on the concept of the force with Bendu, who claims to be somewhere "inbetween," neither light or dark. But how can a jedi be that? A jedi is a user of the light side of the force. If you're going into areas of "grey" then you're not really a jedi anymore--you're something else. No?

Hence... "the Last Jedi".

Since it's a prediction thread...

Rey's parents are obviously a story point to be addressed.  I think we can all agree that they are someone of importance we have already heard of.  If they weren't, then there'd be no reason to hide them from the audience in TFA.  Han obviously knows who she is as well evidenced by Leia asking who she is and then he takes a deep breath and the camera then cuts to another scene.  So, is she a:

A. Skywalker

B. Kenobi

C. Something else

I've been Team Rey Kenobi from day 1, damnit. She has an RP accent! Obi-Wan calls her by name in the force vision! She does a Jedi mind trick on James Bond! The writing is on the wall! Okay, there wasn't any writing. If she ends up being Kylo's twin, I'm gonna roll my eyes.

11 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I've been Team Rey Kenobi from day 1, damnit. She has an RP accent! Obi-Wan calls her by name in the force vision! She does a Jedi mind trick on James Bond! The writing is on the wall! Okay, there wasn't any writing. If she ends up being Kylo's twin, I'm gonna roll my eyes.

Before TFA ever came out, I just kind of assumed that Kylo and Rey were the Jacen and Jaina of the new Star Wars canon.  After seeing her interactions with Han and Leia being more like loving Aunt/Uncle relationships, I don't believe that will be the case.

Before Rogue One came out, I kind of assumed that Jyn Erso would be Rey's mother with a potential off screen relationship with Luke... but then the movie came out and that idea kind of got shot down.  :lol: 

I would like it if, sometime after RotJ, Luke met Ahsoka, who is not a Jedi, and he learned from her something about the true balance, but at the time dismissed her because he wanted to follow what Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted, to bring back the Jedi. But now, Luke is thinking that Ahsoka had the right idea. That is, if Ahsoka is still alive by then.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Before TFA ever came out, I just kind of assumed that Kylo and Rey were the Jacen and Jaina of the new Star Wars canon.  After seeing her interactions with Han and Leia being more like loving Aunt/Uncle relationships, I don't believe that will be the case.

Before Rogue One came out, I kind of assumed that Jyn Erso would be Rey's mother with a potential off screen relationship with Luke... but then the movie came out and that idea kind of got shot down.  :lol: 

Don't worry.  If a man can survive being bisected because of his "hate" I'm sure they can figure a way to have Jyn survive the impending blast wave.

I'm not convinced the grey route is the one they're planning on taking, as much as I'd love to see it explored more. I think Luke wants the Jedi the end simply because he's afraid of more Jedi turning into Sith. To quote a EU character, the Sith have always been born and reborn within the ranks of the Jedi. Luke has seen that happen twice now, and has seen the destruction Vader and Kylo have caused first-hand, and I think that's why he believes the galaxy would be better of without the Jedi (or, probably in his ideal world, without Force-users). To train more Jedi would be to train more potential Vaders, more possibly Kylo Rens.

I think this would be an interesting way to go, and a more likely explanation for Luke's desire to end the Jedi than the flaws the Jedi Order showed in the prequels, which some argue for, since he wasn't even alive at that point in the timeline.

It was interesting to read that Mark Hamill fundamentally disagreed with everything that they were doing with Luke's character

"I think you'll find some things that'll surprise you," he explained. "They certainly surprised me. I said to Rian, I think I fundamentally disagree with everything you've decided for me. Now having said that, I have to accept it, get my mind around it, and do my best to realize your vision. Once I got into it, a lot of my fears went away."

25 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm surprised by that. I wonder if he pulled a Harrison Ford and got them to change any points, or at least specific lines of dialog, that he really disagreed with. 

Also, I bet this means Luke has gone "grey" as it were; which can certainly be a valid plot-line, but I think does require a fair amount of set-up to properly explain. The Luke at the end of ROTJ was a pure light-side true hero, who had redeemed his father and defeated the personification of the dark side; and seemingly had no conflicts anymore with who he was anymore. I can easily see Hamill thinking of Old Luke as an Obi Wan-type figure, and that Ep. VIII does something else with him (though based on the trailer, he does teach Rey a bit).

24 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, I bet this means Luke has gone "grey" as it were; which can certainly be a valid plot-line, but I think does require a fair amount of set-up to properly explain. The Luke at the end of ROTJ was a pure light-side true hero, who had redeemed his father and defeated the personification of the dark side; and seemingly had no conflicts anymore with who he was anymore. I can easily see Hamill thinking of Old Luke as an Obi Wan-type figure, and that Ep. VIII does something else with him (though based on the trailer, he does teach Rey a bit).

Been talking about this more, and here's my hope.

At the end of RotJ, Luke isn't a Jedi. He doesn't win by being a Jedi. He doesn't embrace what Yoda or Obi-Wan taught him. He defeats Darth Vader but does not kill him (despite what Yoda says), ignores the advice that Obi-Wan gives him that his father is gone, and stops fighting entirely. He chooses not to just go with selflessness and self-sacrifice, but bets everything - the entire galaxy - that his father's love will conquer all. And begs him for that love and mercy.

This is in stark contrast to Anakin being told not to love anyone, abandoning Anakin's mom  to slavery, forcing him to hide his love, forcing him to not trust his feelings. It is most decidedly not the Jedi way. It also works in a way that Yoda failed at (confronting the emperor directly) and Obi-Wan failed at (confronting - and almost killing - Vader). The whole thing works because of Luke's reliance on his friends and his reliance on his family and reliance on love.

At the same time, it's not very Sith-like either. Caring about others, depending on others to succeed, community and family and trust. 

Luke tries to be a Jedi, but he utterly fails. He fails his family, he fails his friends, he fails his pupil - and (my hope is that) he fails Kylo Ren because he tries to make Ren repress his love of his family and his anger at his parents instead of working it out. Luke realizes this, but too late. 

The other possibility I see is that the Force requires balance - but the Force assumes actual balanced individuals, not balanced sides. And having more Jedi going further and further to the light simply means the Force will respond with an equal and opposite...uh...force...to balance that out. It's not a coincidence that Luke's attempt to create more Jedi (and not more people like him) resulted in Snoke and then Ren rising up, and it's not a coincidence that their rise of power coincided with Rey's awakening and being brought into the universe. Luke realizes that in order to break the cycle of violence he needs to end the actual good side as well, and seek actual balance in everyone. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

That's why you had her shot in the back. Coward.

I was a little pre occupied throwing senate pods at her boss and making him flee for his life at the time, you say cowardice, I'd say effective time management.

While in this topic I'd like to distance the Sith from that tantrum prone emo in Episode VII too, it's clearly stated he's a Knight of Ren, we wouldn't want him, as he's an embarrassment to the dark side, I'm rooting for his 'redemption' as much as anyone else.

Rey on the other hand would be a great asset to the order.....

11 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I was a little pre occupied throwing senate pods at her boss and making him flee for his life at the time, you say cowardice, I'd say effective time management.

While in this topic I'd like to distance the Sith from that tantrum prone emo in Episode VII too, it's clearly stated he's a Knight of Ren, we wouldn't want him, as he's an embarrassment to the dark side, I'm rooting for his 'redemption' as much as anyone else.

Rey on the other hand would be a great asset to the order.....

It's time for the Sith... to end. 

Archived