Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

So serious question: Do we think there will be a Finn Poe romance? Just looking back at the Original films, it might makes sense with them as Han and Leia, Rey being Luke like. I didn't really see much more than them becoming pretty tight friends in a short space of time, myself, but it's early days.

I think Kylo's a brilliant character, his doubt only makes his evil more compelling.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

So serious question: Do we think there will be a Finn Poe romance? Just looking back at the Original films, it might makes sense with them as Han and Leia, Rey being Luke like. I didn't really see much more than them becoming pretty tight friends in a short space of time, myself, but it's early days.

I think Kylo's a brilliant character, his doubt only makes his evil more compelling.

Personally I can't see Disney doing that yet. Too many people would freak out and it would be a whole thing. I'm sure some morons would start boycotting the franchise and making #notmyStarWars twitter hashtags and whatnot. 

Plus I read that Kelly Marie Tran's character is supposed to be a love interest for Finn in The Last Jedi. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Personally I can't see Disney doing that yet. Too many people would freak out and it would be a whole thing. I'm sure some morons would start boycotting the franchise and making #notmyStarWars twitter hashtags and whatnot.

Didn't that happen anyway just by virtue of him being black? I suspect the people who'd be really furious have mostly left the building already. Either way I think it's fairly unlikely, even more so given that rumour that I hadn't heard.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Plus I read that Kelly Marie Tran's character is supposed to be a love interest for Finn in The Last Jedi. 

I first read this as 'Kelly Marie's Trans character.' And was thinking, surely that's no less controversial.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

I first read this as 'Kelly Marie's Trans character.' And was thinking, surely that's no less controversial.

I knew that was gonna happen but couldn't see a way around it.

I would be fine with a Finn-Poe romance. And it wouldn't come out of nowhere, given the way Isaacs and Boyega were together on screen. I mean that in the sense they had such a great connection. That can be played out purely as friendship or they could could make it romantic. I would find either believable, with a personal preference for the latter.

Pretty sad that doing so may still be considered too "risky" though. Honestly part of me hopes Disney goes that route and to hell with the backlash. I mean, casting a woman and black man as leads didn't exactly do much to harm the performance of The Force Awakens, despite the small minded trolls reaction. 

9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I think the subtext is there, and I also think the subtext is all there will be. That way Disney can have their cake and eat it too. They can point to the subtextual reading for progressive cred, while not losing viewers in important markets that would find a prominent homosexual romance just too much.

Which, to be clear, is absolute bullshit. A Finn/Poe romance would be great and make a lot of sense, story-wise, in my opinion. I just don't think Disney will do it.

It would be surprising if Rey was anyone other than a Kenobi granddaughter, or even great grand-daughter. Maybe Ben got busy with Mon Mothma back in the day. She was, after all, the only other female in the galaxy in the original trilogy. There is, of course, a very slim chance that Rey is another midichlorian virgin birth, since Anakin did not bring balance to the force.

Snoke, ugh, Snoke is probably Darth Plagueus, with his power over death. Yawn. I'm hoping for Snoke to be Darth Sidious, the Emperor. We never saw the body after it was thrown down that shaft, and if Jedi can levitate an X-Wing, Palpatine can levitate himself, or slow his fall.

I always thought it was limiting, having force users on a line between dark and light, with gray in the middle. I think Chirrut Imwe in Rogue One may have been a clue as to what Luke may have in mind. Instead of the Jedi / Sith linear tug of war, maybe Luke finally achieves that "chosen one" balance in the force by encouraging a broader view, with monks like Chirrut, the Force Witches and priestesses and whatever else their fertile minds can come up with.

And one last thing, speaking of fertile minds. The Jedi were pretty dumb in forbidding relationships. That meant that all of their recruits were random pop-ups from the midichlorians. Obviously with the Skywalker family tree, force sensitivity is hereditary, the canon is littered with other examples. So the light-side order did not allow their people to have offspring? Seems short-sighted, or at least very limiting.

How many more Jedi did they want though? It seemed like they had plenty. And every Jedi you have carries a risk of turning to the dark side. If the order gets massive and oversight becomes cluttered with family politics, it'd be quite easy for Jedi to slip through the cracks. Half of what the Jedi do is to stop people turning to the Dark Side, why would they want to create more potential risks.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

How many more Jedi did they want though? It seemed like they had plenty. And every Jedi you have carries a risk of turning to the dark side. If the order gets massive and oversight becomes cluttered with family politics, it'd be quite easy for Jedi to slip through the cracks. Half of what the Jedi do is to stop people turning to the Dark Side, why would they want to create more potential risks.

The order wasn't terribly massive, and family politics is what ended up saving them from the emperor. Luke and Leia and now Rey (if she's a Kenobi) and Kylo Ren are family politics. If one of your parents is a Jedi, then maybe you take up the family business and learn it. If you forbid force sensitive people from having children, you are trying to minimize them, if not drive them extinct. Maybe a restriction of dating among the Jedi or between Jedi and other force-sensitives could have been inserted instead, in universe as a way to prevent making super-Jedi, and for plot reasons to still keep Anakin and Padme apart by making her a force sensitive non-Jedi.

As far as having plenty... if your order is "keeping the peace", then your knights are the equivalent of Delta or Seal teams, and your masters are split across diplomatic corps and military leadership. you need quite a few of those teams and ambassadors in a galaxy. If the order are spiritual monks and hermits and teachers, then they've had a bit of mission creep over the millenia.

My point was if you have parents and children all part of this order, that's a fantastic way to breed nepotism. You're on the council, and your son has shown a few waverings about the Jedi way, I'm not going to trust you to not keep that information to yourself, potentially endangering everyone.

They kept up with an enormous war pretty well, just recruiting from naturally occurring force sensitives. I don't think numbers are a problem.

What the Jedi's purpose is, is a good question, and not one I'm sure of, but I feel their primary purpose, is to stop force sensitives turning dark. If that's the case you do really want less.

5 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

Maybe Ben got busy with Mon Mothma back in the day. She was, after all, the only other female in the galaxy in the original trilogy.

Unless Luke had a cousin - that would explain why Uncle Owen is so hostile to Kenobi :D

21 minutes ago, felice said:

Unless Luke had a cousin - that would explain why Uncle Owen is so hostile to Kenobi :D

The recent events shown in Rebels put Owen in an even worse light. That "crazy old man" killed a former Lord of the Sith to protect Luke.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:59 AM, Kalbear said:

Been talking about this more, and here's my hope.

At the end of RotJ, Luke isn't a Jedi. He doesn't win by being a Jedi. He doesn't embrace what Yoda or Obi-Wan taught him. He defeats Darth Vader but does not kill him (despite what Yoda says), ignores the advice that Obi-Wan gives him that his father is gone, and stops fighting entirely. He chooses not to just go with selflessness and self-sacrifice, but bets everything - the entire galaxy - that his father's love will conquer all. And begs him for that love and mercy.

This is in stark contrast to Anakin being told not to love anyone, abandoning Anakin's mom  to slavery, forcing him to hide his love, forcing him to not trust his feelings. It is most decidedly not the Jedi way. It also works in a way that Yoda failed at (confronting the emperor directly) and Obi-Wan failed at (confronting - and almost killing - Vader). The whole thing works because of Luke's reliance on his friends and his reliance on his family and reliance on love.

At the same time, it's not very Sith-like either. Caring about others, depending on others to succeed, community and family and trust. 

Luke tries to be a Jedi, but he utterly fails. He fails his family, he fails his friends, he fails his pupil - and (my hope is that) he fails Kylo Ren because he tries to make Ren repress his love of his family and his anger at his parents instead of working it out. Luke realizes this, but too late. 

The other possibility I see is that the Force requires balance - but the Force assumes actual balanced individuals, not balanced sides. And having more Jedi going further and further to the light simply means the Force will respond with an equal and opposite...uh...force...to balance that out. It's not a coincidence that Luke's attempt to create more Jedi (and not more people like him) resulted in Snoke and then Ren rising up, and it's not a coincidence that their rise of power coincided with Rey's awakening and being brought into the universe. Luke realizes that in order to break the cycle of violence he needs to end the actual good side as well, and seek actual balance in everyone. 

All good points--made more valid by the horrid prequels,I think, but just because I don't like them doesn't mean I can ignore the prequels and the Jedi. They were void of emotion and would have greatly disapproved of Luke's methods and feared he was "too much like his father." I like the idea of balance or gray.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I apologize. Didn't think anyone here was unfamiliar with that. Looks like RumHam obliged you to see the spoiler I mentioned.

It never really appealed to me enough to bother with. That clip didn't really change my opinion. An interesting bit of canon though.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

It never really appealed to me enough to bother with. That clip didn't really change my opinion. An interesting bit of canon though.

I enjoy watching Rebels. That said the few times it brushes up against the movies (and to a lesser extend the Clone Wars show) are the only times I'v found it really engaging. You should at least watch the season two finale for Vader.  

Archived