Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

33 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Here's a good freeze frame of the fighters people were referring to as pod racers earlier. (I claim no credit, it was on the SW Facebook page). They are more obviously a new type of fighter in this shot

They're not flying. I maintain they are speeders. Combat speeders if you will. The one crashing probably did so because it came crashing from... the high ground :D

Yeah they look like speeders to me. Not sure why people are saying pod racers.

Also it's somewhat concerning that the biggest gripe against TFA is that it takes too many elements from ANH (not really something that bothered me much, but people keep bringing it up), and in this trailer we already see speeders face off against imperial walkers like in Empire.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Yeah they look like speeders to me. Not sure why people are saying pod racers.

Also it's somewhat concerning that the biggest gripe against TFA is that it takes too many elements from ANH (not really something that bothered me much, but people keep bringing it up), and in this trailer we already see speeders face off against imperial walkers like in Empire.

That was what i though as soon as i noticed the walkers.

TFA was a really good film in my books, but a lot of people say it was just a rehash of ANH, which it does share similarities with admittedly. They don't wanna fall into the same trap again, it's already going close to ESB with Rey meeting a "Jedi master" to train and the Resistance being on the run possibly after a big victory.
I just pray they think have something more original, not just a retelling of the same story.

22 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait. What makes you think he didn't? 

I used to debate that Darth Vader did, in fact, bring balance to the force. At the conclusion of the prequels, we had just Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light side. And at one point in the original trilogy, we had Vader and Palpatine on the dark side, and Yoda and Luke representing the Jedi. That is, technically, balance. Why a Jedi organization of hundreds would want a chosen one to bring "balance" to a scale where the other side is self-limited to two members seems short-sighted.

22 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

My point was if you have parents and children all part of this order, that's a fantastic way to breed nepotism. You're on the council, and your son has shown a few waverings about the Jedi way, I'm not going to trust you to not keep that information to yourself, potentially endangering everyone.

They kept up with an enormous war pretty well, just recruiting from naturally occurring force sensitives. I don't think numbers are a problem.

What the Jedi's purpose is, is a good question, and not one I'm sure of, but I feel their primary purpose, is to stop force sensitives turning dark. If that's the case you do really want less.

How, exactly do they find force sensitives? Coruscant had tens of billions of beings, that's a lot to sift through, and Tatooine was on the edge of the galaxy, causing them to miss the most naturally talented force user in generations, and bringing him to the academy too old at what, age 8 or 10? Considering that Palpatine and young Anakin and most likely Plagueius were extremely gifted and not found by whatever the normal means are is a problem.

Add in the witches of Dathomir (an entire culture of force users) and Chirrut Imwe and whatever else I'm forgetting, and there's definitely a bigger problem than a risk of Mace Windu's incompetent nephew getting an easy job in the force sensitive accounting department.

1 hour ago, SerPaladin said:

How, exactly do they find force sensitives? Coruscant had tens of billions of beings, that's a lot to sift through, and Tatooine was on the edge of the galaxy, causing them to miss the most naturally talented force user in generations, and bringing him to the academy too old at what, age 8 or 10? Considering that Palpatine and young Anakin and most likely Plagueius were extremely gifted and not found by whatever the normal means are is a problem.

Add in the witches of Dathomir (an entire culture of force users) and Chirrut Imwe and whatever else I'm forgetting, and there's definitely a bigger problem than a risk of Mace Windu's incompetent nephew getting an easy job in the force sensitive accounting department.

I'm not saying they're process of finding them isn't flawed. I'm saying they want to find and safely manage as many natural FS as they can, and not create any more, because they all have the potential to be extremely dangerous. They're process for finding the naturally occurring ones has absolutely nothing to do with that.

2 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

I used to debate that Darth Vader did, in fact, bring balance to the force. At the conclusion of the prequels, we had just Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light side. And at one point in the original trilogy, we had Vader and Palpatine on the dark side, and Yoda and Luke representing the Jedi. That is, technically, balance. Why a Jedi organization of hundreds would want a chosen one to bring "balance" to a scale where the other side is self-limited to two members seems short-sighted.

Frankly, I always took it that Anakin did actually bring balance to the Force. Specifically, he did so through Luke's birth. The old Jedi Council simply didn't interpret the prophecy correctly, or in their hubris they did not realize that to achieve balance, it all needed to be wiped away.  The new trilogy is the culmination (in my opinion) of that balance being achieved. 

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Frankly, I always took it that Anakin did actually bring balance to the Force. Specifically, he did so through Luke's birth. The old Jedi Council simply didn't interpret the prophecy correctly, or in their hubris they did not realize that to achieve balance, it all needed to be wiped away.  The new trilogy is the culmination (in my opinion) of that balance being achieved. 

Yep. Both Luke and Leia's birth and the subsequent results might be balancing - or reducing the Jedi and Sith to two members each might be. Again, why I tend to think that Luke's rise and educating pupils led to Snoke and Ren - because he shifted things out of balance.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Ep 9 announced for May 2019 release - only 18 months. Huh. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Huh is right. I thought for sure Disney was going to claim Christmas weekend forevermore with Star Wars movies.

Odd for sure.  Will definitely come hot on the heels of the Young Han Solo film.  :dunno: 

What's the Marvel schedule for that year?  Could there be something that Disney wants to slot into that Christmas instead?

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

They've reshuffled a lot of their movies for the next 3 years. But I still expect an announcement sometime next year that more production time is needed for IX, and thus it will be moved to December.

If that's the case... then why not just stick with the Christmas 2019 release date?  Instead, if they have to back it up for some reason it will look like there are problems with the movie. 

Okay... just read the actual article that Kal linked.  So the Solo film is coming out in May 2018 instead of December 2018 like I assumed.

But a different link to look at the Marvel release schedule says that Avengers 4 is coming out May 3, 2019 and then this sets SWIX at May 24, 2019.  Seems awfully close together for Disney's major franchises.  :dunno: 

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yep. Both Luke and Leia's birth and the subsequent results might be balancing - or reducing the Jedi and Sith to two members each might be. Again, why I tend to think that Luke's rise and educating pupils led to Snoke and Ren - because he shifted things out of balance.

Hmmmmm...now that I think about it...there was that theory floating out there that Luke had actually gone over to the dark side...and he's a twin, so maybe he's the dark and Leia the light...but that's a little too contrived, especially as them becoming twins was a late audible call...

Archived