Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

The Lego Movie was an OK film, nothing special. It didn't get an Oscar nomination, and that was a right decision.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

and it's why it was a big success.

It was a box office success and very popular in the US, but not a big hit overseas.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lego.htm

Compared to HTTYD2 and Big Hero 6:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=howtotrainyourdragon2.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=disney2014.htm

10 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Why the hell not? Were you traumatized by LEGO as a child?  If not then see this movie. It's one of the best films of the last decade. 

I watched about half of it, couldn't finish it.

Star Wars is a frustrating franchise for me... it's like whomever is in charge --whether it be Lucas, or Disney-- knows what works... they see what nerds like us positively respond to... for instance, most hardcore SW geeks believe that Empire Strikes Back is the best of the original trilogy... whereas Ewoks and Jar Jar were almost universally panned.... and yet they don't seem to be able to resist the lure of camping up movies to the degree they do.... It seems to me --and of course, some will disagree-- that the more they try to appeal to kids, the less love the flicks will receive...

It reminds me of the WWE... most fans loved the attitude era... and now we're inundated with the New Day

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

and yet they don't seem to be able to resist the lure of camping up movies to the degree they do.... It seems to me --and of course, some will disagree-- that the more they try to appeal to kids, the less love the flicks will receive...

Really? I didn't think Force Awakens was amazing but it didn't include those cutesy elements to any great degree, and Rogue One wasn't camp at all. Where are you seeing this supposed focusing on kids stuff?

ps I've always wondered, why is it that you finish every single fricking sentence with an ellipsis?

Also TPM begins with the immortal lines: "Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute." Not sure that could be described as an overwhelmingly kid-friendly, yet the movie was still rubbish, and would have been rubbish even if it started with the total annihilation of the Gungan race. 

52 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Really? I didn't think Force Awakens was amazing but it didn't include those cutesy elements to any great degree, and Rogue One wasn't camp at all. Where are you seeing this supposed focusing on kids stuff?

ps I've always wondered, why is it that you finish every single fricking sentence with an ellipsis?

... Rogue One was a fantastic film for the reasons you cited... I made the point earlier in the thread that the franchise might respond to its critical success by emulating it in future movies... and I was soundly disagreed with....lol .... I hope that they continue... as for the Force Awakens... it wasn't Ewok-esque, but I thought it kind of tried too hard to be gratuitous... but maybe I'm jaded.

... and as for my over use of the ellipsis?... I have no idea... its just my messageboard style I guess....lol...

Ewoks bang.   They're just more successful puppets than the droids are in that puppet based future, where the win was secured by placing our trust back with the puppets of our ancestors.  Sorry that this is true, but it is the core message of the original movies.  Jedis were meant to comfort us by showing there will be a niche for humanity to survive a tech future and adapt to it and still call the shots.  This of course is the fantasy part of the fantasy, the part that requires us to come up with magic to make it happen that way.   The real future is us living in that ewok village where our machine overlords have relegated us to in the absense of any human economy worth pursuing.

And it doesn't matter to the movie makers what story they tell next, so it no longer matters to me.  They're just operating on a deadline now to get the billions, not with any storytelling mission or purpose or imperative or creative bent.   The miticlorians haven't visited a soul upon this new enterprise.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

... Rogue One was a fantastic film for the reasons you cited... I made the point earlier in the thread that the franchise might respond to its critical success by emulating it in future movies... and I was soundly disagreed with....lol .... I hope that they continue... as for the Force Awakens... it wasn't Ewok-esque, but I thought it kind of tried too hard to be gratuitous... but maybe I'm jaded.

... and as for my over use of the ellipsis?... I have no idea... its just my messageboard style I guess....lol...

Actually my understanding was that the issues with the HS film were it was going too comedic, so it would seem the change of director is a step in the direction you would like; I.e. more Rogue One than Phantom Menace

(Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/22/ron-howard-takes-over-directing-duties-on-han-solo-film/

Here’s what we know now: Several sources close to the movie and others close to the directors tell EW that ever since filming began back in February, Lord and Miller, who are known primarily for wry, self-referential comedies like 21 Jump Street and the pilot episodes for Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Last Man on Earth, began steering the Han Solo movie more into the genre of laughs than space fantasy.

Apparently, the split was a subtle one that became magnified over time: Lucasfilm and producer Kennedy believed Lord and Miller were hired to add a comedic touch; Lord and Miller believed they were hired to make a comedy.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:58 AM, Martini Sigil said:

Damn thief is what you are...trying to crib my style...

As for Han Solo, there was an interesting take on it, and similar director switches, in the most recent EW...

3 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

You're in the wrong field, my friend. Moisture vaporators are where the real money is. Technology is developing. There could be a real future in the market.

FUCK. If only my aunt and uncle hadn't been massacred by Sand People when I was but a babe, they could've shown me the ropes. I knew I was doing something wrong. 

Archived