Stannis is the man....nis

Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

323 posts in this topic

This is amazing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Regular John Umber said:

 Yeah there aren't a whole bunch of candidates... 

 

 

Actually it was me and Aayala Secura, she took advantage, I felt violated.

Edited by Lord Sidious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Actually it was me and Aayala Secura, she took advantage, I felt violated.

That's why you had her shot in the back. Coward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

That's why you had her shot in the back. Coward.

I was a little pre occupied throwing senate pods at her boss and making him flee for his life at the time, you say cowardice, I'd say effective time management.

 

While in this topic I'd like to distance the Sith from that tantrum prone emo in Episode VII too, it's clearly stated he's a Knight of Ren, we wouldn't want him, as he's an embarrassment to the dark side, I'm rooting for his 'redemption' as much as anyone else.

Rey on the other hand would be a great asset to the order.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I was a little pre occupied throwing senate pods at her boss and making him flee for his life at the time, you say cowardice, I'd say effective time management.

 

While in this topic I'd like to distance the Sith from that tantrum prone emo in Episode VII too, it's clearly stated he's a Knight of Ren, we wouldn't want him, as he's an embarrassment to the dark side, I'm rooting for his 'redemption' as much as anyone else.

Rey on the other hand would be a great asset to the order.....

It's time for the Sith... to end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So serious question: Do we think there will be a Finn Poe romance? Just looking back at the Original films, it might makes sense with them as Han and Leia, Rey being Luke like. I didn't really see much more than them becoming pretty tight friends in a short space of time, myself, but it's early days.

 

I think Kylo's a brilliant character, his doubt only makes his evil more compelling.

Edited by The BlackBear
Ren Represent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

So serious question: Do we think there will be a Finn Poe romance? Just looking back at the Original films, it might makes sense with them as Han and Leia, Rey being Luke like. I didn't really see much more than them becoming pretty tight friends in a short space of time, myself, but it's early days.

 

I think Kylo's a brilliant character, his doubt only makes his evil more compelling.

Personally I can't see Disney doing that yet. Too many people would freak out and it would be a whole thing. I'm sure some morons would start boycotting the franchise and making #notmyStarWars twitter hashtags and whatnot. 

Plus I read that Kelly Marie Tran's character is supposed to be a love interest for Finn in The Last Jedi. 

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Personally I can't see Disney doing that yet. Too many people would freak out and it would be a whole thing. I'm sure some morons would start boycotting the franchise and making #notmyStarWars twitter hashtags and whatnot.

Didn't that happen anyway just by virtue of him being black? I suspect the people who'd be really furious have mostly left the building already. Either way I think it's fairly unlikely, even more so given that rumour that I hadn't heard.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Plus I read that Kelly Marie Tran's character is supposed to be a love interest for Finn in The Last Jedi. 

I first read this as 'Kelly Marie's Trans character.' And was thinking, surely that's no less controversial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

I first read this as 'Kelly Marie's Trans character.' And was thinking, surely that's no less controversial.

I knew that was gonna happen but couldn't see a way around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be fine with a Finn-Poe romance. And it wouldn't come out of nowhere, given the way Isaacs and Boyega were together on screen. I mean that in the sense they had such a great connection. That can be played out purely as friendship or they could could make it romantic. I would find either believable, with a personal preference for the latter.

Pretty sad that doing so may still be considered too "risky" though. Honestly part of me hopes Disney goes that route and to hell with the backlash. I mean, casting a woman and black man as leads didn't exactly do much to harm the performance of The Force Awakens, despite the small minded trolls reaction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

So serious question: Do we think there will be a Finn Poe romance? Just looking back at the Original films, it might makes sense with them as Han and Leia, Rey being Luke like. I didn't really see much more than them becoming pretty tight friends in a short space of time, myself, but it's early days.

I think the subtext is there, and I also think the subtext is all there will be. That way Disney can have their cake and eat it too. They can point to the subtextual reading for progressive cred, while not losing viewers in important markets that would find a prominent homosexual romance just too much.

Which, to be clear, is absolute bullshit. A Finn/Poe romance would be great and make a lot of sense, story-wise, in my opinion. I just don't think Disney will do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be surprising if Rey was anyone other than a Kenobi granddaughter, or even great grand-daughter. Maybe Ben got busy with Mon Mothma back in the day. She was, after all, the only other female in the galaxy in the original trilogy. There is, of course, a very slim chance that Rey is another midichlorian virgin birth, since Anakin did not bring balance to the force.

Snoke, ugh, Snoke is probably Darth Plagueus, with his power over death. Yawn. I'm hoping for Snoke to be Darth Sidious, the Emperor. We never saw the body after it was thrown down that shaft, and if Jedi can levitate an X-Wing, Palpatine can levitate himself, or slow his fall.

I always thought it was limiting, having force users on a line between dark and light, with gray in the middle. I think Chirrut Imwe in Rogue One may have been a clue as to what Luke may have in mind. Instead of the Jedi / Sith linear tug of war, maybe Luke finally achieves that "chosen one" balance in the force by encouraging a broader view, with monks like Chirrut, the Force Witches and priestesses and whatever else their fertile minds can come up with.

And one last thing, speaking of fertile minds. The Jedi were pretty dumb in forbidding relationships. That meant that all of their recruits were random pop-ups from the midichlorians. Obviously with the Skywalker family tree, force sensitivity is hereditary, the canon is littered with other examples. So the light-side order did not allow their people to have offspring? Seems short-sighted, or at least very limiting.

Edited by SerPaladin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many more Jedi did they want though? It seemed like they had plenty. And every Jedi you have carries a risk of turning to the dark side. If the order gets massive and oversight becomes cluttered with family politics, it'd be quite easy for Jedi to slip through the cracks. Half of what the Jedi do is to stop people turning to the Dark Side, why would they want to create more potential risks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

How many more Jedi did they want though? It seemed like they had plenty. And every Jedi you have carries a risk of turning to the dark side. If the order gets massive and oversight becomes cluttered with family politics, it'd be quite easy for Jedi to slip through the cracks. Half of what the Jedi do is to stop people turning to the Dark Side, why would they want to create more potential risks.

The order wasn't terribly massive, and family politics is what ended up saving them from the emperor. Luke and Leia and now Rey (if she's a Kenobi) and Kylo Ren are family politics. If one of your parents is a Jedi, then maybe you take up the family business and learn it. If you forbid force sensitive people from having children, you are trying to minimize them, if not drive them extinct. Maybe a restriction of dating among the Jedi or between Jedi and other force-sensitives could have been inserted instead, in universe as a way to prevent making super-Jedi, and for plot reasons to still keep Anakin and Padme apart by making her a force sensitive non-Jedi.

As far as having plenty... if your order is "keeping the peace", then your knights are the equivalent of Delta or Seal teams, and your masters are split across diplomatic corps and military leadership. you need quite a few of those teams and ambassadors in a galaxy. If the order are spiritual monks and hermits and teachers, then they've had a bit of mission creep over the millenia.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point was if you have parents and children all part of this order, that's a fantastic way to breed nepotism. You're on the council, and your son has shown a few waverings about the Jedi way, I'm not going to trust you to not keep that information to yourself, potentially endangering everyone.

They kept up with an enormous war pretty well, just recruiting from naturally occurring force sensitives. I don't think numbers are a problem.

What the Jedi's purpose is, is a good question, and not one I'm sure of, but I feel their primary purpose, is to stop force sensitives turning dark. If that's the case you do really want less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

since Anakin did not bring balance to the force.

Wait. What makes you think he didn't? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

Maybe Ben got busy with Mon Mothma back in the day. She was, after all, the only other female in the galaxy in the original trilogy.

Unless Luke had a cousin - that would explain why Uncle Owen is so hostile to Kenobi :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, felice said:

Unless Luke had a cousin - that would explain why Uncle Owen is so hostile to Kenobi :D

The recent events shown in Rebels put Owen in an even worse light. That "crazy old man" killed a former Lord of the Sith to protect Luke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

The recent events shown in Rebels put Owen in an even worse light. That "crazy old man" killed a former Lord of the Sith to protect Luke.

For someone who hasn't seen Rebels, Spoil me please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

For someone who hasn't seen Rebels, Spoil me please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.