Stannis is the man....nis

Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

410 posts in this topic

I just want to say I don't think Kylo will turn to the light fully. Maybe he does a Vader (which in a way would be perfect for him given how much he idolises him.) Mainly because that we know of he has been directly responsible for three massacres, the village at the start of VII, Maz's castle and the Jedi academy. And  been complicit in all the First Orders shit, including the destruction of an multiple heavily populated planets. You can't just handwave these crimes away, and I don't think the series wants to get bogged down in a trial. So at most he does the heel/face turn sacrifice thing.

BTW I'm one of those who really likes him as a character.

 

I also don't really want Luke to be Rey's father. And surely the timeline can't work for her to be a Kenobi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I also ascribed to the clone theory, though not quite as you put it. If the clone theory is the way to go, I would much rather that Rey is the daughter of a Luke clone that was created by Palpatine near the end of the war to serve as back up to Vader trying to convert real Luke. But then the war is over, Palpatine dies and the facility where this clone was made is shut down, but the Luke clone goes on to live his life and has Rey.

However, I also agree with @ab aeterno about not using clones for this plot. Especially since in that case the midichlorians come into play again, and I think they want to stay away from that. But the strongest clue to the clone theory is, indeed, the introduction of Anakin's lightsaber in the story. Who found the saber, and why was it kept?

Between Anakin's lightsaber and the little details we have about how Ben Solo's betrayal really happened (how many Jedi apprentices did Luke lose to this betrayal?) I find it very difficult to theorize on Rey's connection to the Skywalkers.

I think we need to stop considering this Anakin's saber and start considering it the Bad Luck Saber. This thing brings death and destruction to all who touch it. 

So far, people using this lightsaber have:

  1. Lost a duel to their best friend/family member and being burnt alive. Oh, and accidentally killed their wife.
  2. Been abducted and nearly eaten by a Wampa.
  3. Crash landed in a swamp.
  4. Been defeated in a duel with their father and had their hand cut off.
  5. Experienced Force visions of terrible slaughter.
  6. Had their home/castle that had stood for a thousand years blown to pieces.
  7. Been defeated in melee combat by a Stormtrooper.
  8. Been defeated in combat yet again.
  9. Finally won a single narrow victory against a guy missing a kidney gradually bleeding out. 

Lest we forget, the moment Luke sets eye on this thing, he has a look on his face that says "for the love of god, get that thing away from me."

ETA: Oops, missed off the final line: So I think we can safely assume that whoever ends up with this thing in Episode VIII is in for a bad time. 

Edited by ab aeterno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much of a clue what will happen, but I'm pretty sure of what will not happen; Kylo Ren will not turn to the light side in Ep. VIII. Maybe he will in Ep. IX, but not in VIII. Also, since that storyline was already done by Vader; I'd prefer it I think if Ren never turns to the light. That he dies in IX still a believer in the dark side. But I can't predict IX either way; just that his status won't change in VIII.

In terms of what I don't want to see, I don't want Rey to be a clone and I don't want her to be Luke's daughter. Its fine if she's a Skywalker, in fact she almost certainly is, but neither of those are satisfying at all to me; clones are a dumb story idea and there's no satisfying reason for why Luke would strand Rey on a desert planet. Maybe she can be a cousin to Luke and Leia or something; did Uncle Owen have any other siblings that could've had kids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kylo Ren turning to the light at all sounds super fucking lame to me. I find him interesting as a villain. 

Just want Rey to be force sensitive without being a Skywalker even though I know it's unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

I think we need to stop considering this Anakin's saber and start considering it the Bad Luck Saber. This thing brings death and destruction to all who touch it. 

So far, people using this lightsaber have:

  1. Lost a duel to their best friend/family member and being burnt alive. Oh, and accidentally killed their wife.
  2. Been abducted and nearly eaten by a Wampa.
  3. Crash landed in a swamp.
  4. Been defeated in a duel with their father and had their hand cut off.
  5. Experienced Force visions of terrible slaughter.
  6. Had their home/castle that had stood for a thousand years blown to pieces.
  7. Been defeated in melee combat by a Stormtrooper.
  8. Been defeated in combat yet again.
  9. Finally won a single narrow victory against a guy missing a kidney gradually bleeding out. 

Lest we forget, the moment Luke sets eye on this thing, he has a look on his face that says "for the love of god, get that thing away from me."

ETA: Oops, missed off the final line: So I think we can safely assume that whoever ends up with this thing in Episode VIII is in for a bad time. 

Don't forget being frozen in carbonite.

 

I really hope they don't go the clone route. Luke's hand makes sense for cloning purposes, however, Rey being unrelated to the usual suspects mentioned around the interwebs would be my preference.

The only redemption I care to see this trilogy is Luke's. I actually enjoy the Kylo Ren character and want him to continue embracing the dark side and furthering along its path.

I'm also just as interested in Snoke's identity as Rey's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

I think we need to stop considering this Anakin's saber and start considering it the Bad Luck Saber. This thing brings death and destruction to all who touch it. 

So far, people using this lightsaber have:

  1. Lost a duel to their best friend/family member and being burnt alive. Oh, and accidentally killed their wife.
  2. Been abducted and nearly eaten by a Wampa.
  3. Crash landed in a swamp.
  4. Been defeated in a duel with their father and had their hand cut off.
  5. Experienced Force visions of terrible slaughter.
  6. Had their home/castle that had stood for a thousand years blown to pieces.
  7. Been defeated in melee combat by a Stormtrooper.
  8. Been defeated in combat yet again.
  9. Finally won a single narrow victory against a guy missing a kidney gradually bleeding out. 

Lest we forget, the moment Luke sets eye on this thing, he has a look on his face that says "for the love of god, get that thing away from me."

ETA: Oops, missed off the final line: So I think we can safely assume that whoever ends up with this thing in Episode VIII is in for a bad time. 

I'd shit if Ep VIII starts off with Luke taking the saber from Rey and chucking it off the cliff into the ocean! First line : "Get that fucking thing away from me!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fez said:

In terms of what I don't want to see, I don't want Rey to be a clone and I don't want her to be Luke's daughter. Its fine if she's a Skywalker, in fact she almost certainly is, but neither of those are satisfying at all to me; clones are a dumb story idea and there's no satisfying reason for why Luke would strand Rey on a desert planet. Maybe she can be a cousin to Luke and Leia or something; did Uncle Owen have any other siblings that could've had kids?

Given that Uncle Owen was a stepbrother of Anakin, I don't think that's relevant as any biological relative of his wouldn't be a Skywalker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Given that Uncle Owen was a stepbrother of Anakin, I don't think that's relevant as any biological relative of his wouldn't be a Skywalker.

Unless Cliegg was related to Shmi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'd shit if Ep VIII starts off with Luke taking the saber from Rey and chucking it off the cliff into the ocean! First line : "Get that fucking thing away from me!"

Luke: "Here, let me see that. Force toss, haha!!! Fuck that thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

Unless Cliegg was related to Shmi.

Which would be pretty fucked up given that he would have to buy his relative then marry her but hey desert planets right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Which would be pretty fucked up given that he would have to buy his relative then marry her but hey desert planets right?

Yep, when you live on a planet with an apparent population density of about 0.00001 people per square km you take what you can get.

Edited by ab aeterno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the feature film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Fez said:

I don't have much of a clue what will happen, but I'm pretty sure of what will not happen; Kylo Ren will not turn to the light side in Ep. VIII. Maybe he will in Ep. IX, but not in VIII. Also, since that storyline was already done by Vader; I'd prefer it I think if Ren never turns to the light. That he dies in IX still a believer in the dark side. But I can't predict IX either way; just that his status won't change in VIII.

In terms of what I don't want to see, I don't want Rey to be a clone and I don't want her to be Luke's daughter. Its fine if she's a Skywalker, in fact she almost certainly is, but neither of those are satisfying at all to me; clones are a dumb story idea and there's no satisfying reason for why Luke would strand Rey on a desert planet. Maybe she can be a cousin to Luke and Leia or something; did Uncle Owen have any other siblings that could've had kids?

Owen was a Lars, not a Skywalker. He was Anikan's step brother.

On another note, I find that this discussion about VIII in the middle of the Rogue One release proof to me that the episodes are the better movies in general. They certainly give us more to talk about/speculate on.

 I'm glad we got Rogue One and can't wait for more stand alones, but the meat and potatoes for me are the episodes.

 

Edited by Howdyphillip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Given that Uncle Owen was a stepbrother of Anakin, I don't think that's relevant as any biological relative of his wouldn't be a Skywalker.

Maybe a cousin of Padme then. Still not a Skywalker in name, but biologically related to Luke and Leia and at least. And that's my point, I'm fine with Rey being related to them but I don't want her to be Luke's daughter because of the 'why was she stranded on that planet?' issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So none of your moms/babysitters/aunts/grandmoms/general care takers watched soap operas...got it.

Rey was left on Jakku without Luke's knowledge because Luke didn't even know she existed.  He had a dalliance with some chick who had Rey without telling him.  Chick hears about massacre decides to hide munchkin far away.  Luke doesn't know she exists until her awakening. That solves that issue.  Who's mom is another that I don't care about; I actually don't care who her dad is either but the main family is the Ewings Skywalkers so she must be one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2017 at 5:16 PM, Mark Antony said:

Kylo Ren turning to the light at all sounds super fucking lame to me. I find him interesting as a villain. 

Just want Rey to be force sensitive without being a Skywalker even though I know it's unlikely. 

Him turning to the light would be the best thing for him, as he's proven himself terribly incapable of competency on the dark.

His only saving grace is he is a Knight of Ren, the Sith accept no responsibility for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars bosses meet to decide Princess Leia's fate

Quote

Insiders tell the Hollywood Reporter that Fisher’s General Leia was set to play a larger role in 2019’s “Episode IX” than she will in this year’s “Episode VIII,” which was written and directed by “Looper” filmmaker Rian Johnson. 

...

While the option of reducing the character’s scenes is certainly on the table, the studio’s recent success with “Rogue One” -- which featured a CGI versions of deceased actor Peter Cushing and a 19-year-old Fisher -- suggests some computer wizardry might also be an option.  “’Rogue One’ is the road map,” a source said.

I don't know how I feel about any of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CGI route would only be vaguely acceptable because she worked with the CGI team on the Rogue One appearance, so clearly she was in favour of the technology in that instance. Otherwise, I think a respectful recasting would be acceptable.

Writing her out is the easy thing to do, but for Leia to disappear off-screen between movies is lame (as I'm sure Carrier Fisher would be the first to agree), especially given that there will (presumably) be groundwork laid for her Episode IX role in VIII that will now not work, and might be jarring. They could use her VIII material and maybe cut scenes from VII  and some judicious voiceovers to try to take the story in a new direction in VIII, which might work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Really not a fan of CGI'ing her in for several reasons.

As long as her brother and daughter are fully supportive of this, I think that it would be fine. They alone are in the best position to know what Carrie would have wanted. (Man, I still tear up thinking about this.) I have no argument for or against it that would pull further weight than the family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now