Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

6 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Mark Hamill hadn't come out and said the character of Luke has been essentially destroyed

Did he really say that? Bad news, bad news... 

13 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I suppose I'd be more excited if the script hadn't leaked, Mark Hamill hadn't come out and said the character of Luke has been essentially destroyed, or basically if I thought  they would even try to make a thematic resonance between this one and 2 and 5 instead of a straight copy (Abrams certainly failed at that in 7)

In fairness, I think he retracted that statement in a later interview and pointed out that while it wasn't how he would have handled the character by the end of the film he can understand the merit of taking the character in that direction. Which could just be Disney threatening his children but I think it could also be genuine. Hamil does understand the character and is a good actor but he didn't write any of the Star Wars films.

7 hours ago, Jon AS said:

That sums it up. Really weird to hear Hamil's natural voice - makes me appreciate his voice acting even more given the difference.

10 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Speaking of news... There was very little mention of the Han Solo movie today at D23. I am thinking at this point that we will probably get an announcement in the next few months that it will be pushed back. The good news is that this December looks like it is going to have and amazing and emotional movie released.  I teared up today seeing the behind the scenes Carrie Fisher footage.

I've been waiting for them to push Han Solo into the December slot ever since they did so with Episode VIII. I think there is value to getting people used to the idea that December is star wars month. A bit like Tolkien fans got used to.

I tend to the cynical side so I'm thinking Hamill changed his tune due to the higher ups coming down on him. Plus the script leak really points to his earlier comments.

Howdyphillip,

I've watched TFA 4 times and it IS a copy of Episode 4 beat by beat unfortunately it misses the themes of what ties together the original trilogy and the prequels and is just a shallow bowl of popcorn.  Entertaining in its way I suppose and occasionally maybe something you want but not something actually good.  If you love popcorn, by all means continue thinking its the greatest thing since slice bread.  I'm glad you can enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I tend to the cynical side so I'm thinking Hamill changed his tune due to the higher ups coming down on him. Plus the script leak really points to his earlier comments.

Howdyphillip,

I've watched TFA 4 times and it IS a copy of Episode 4 beat by beat unfortunately it misses the themes of what ties together the original trilogy and the prequels and is just a shallow bowl of popcorn.  Entertaining in its way I suppose and occasionally maybe something you want but not something actually good.  If you love popcorn, by all means continue thinking its the greatest thing since slice bread.  I'm glad you can enjoy it.

If you saw The Force Awakens 4 times, and think that it is a beat by beat repeat of the original Star Wars, you were not paying attention at all every single time you watched the movie. A complaint can be made that they went back to the well a few too many times in mirroring things from the original movie, but the entire plot was completely different. One movie was about finding a lost Jedi and another was about destroying the Death Star. I'd also argue fiercely that the call backs that did happen were necessary to set the tone of the film as a remembrance of the original trilogy.

The mechanics that drove the plot in both movies were entirely different also. The characters all behaved in vastly different ways and had very separate motivations, There were far more settings in The Force Awakens. The villains were approached as far apart as possible while still maintaining themselves in a Star Wars universe. 

I'm sorry that you feel the need to be trendy and hip so have to crap on a movie that the vast majority of people at least really liked. I'll gladly take my popcorn and watch this again. I think it is the best hero's journey of this generation, and I happen to adore that in story telling.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived