True or false?

Greywater-Watch

I'm going to say False.  I think Jon's crossbow sniping of Wildlings puts him over the top but I guess we don't have confirmation of that.  I also have a question: does seeing dire wolves personally kill people (Nym and bloody mummers, Summer rescuing Jon from wildlings?)

Off the top of my head:

Cat kills Jinglebell and Merrett.

Ned kills the Night's Watch deserter (I can't remember if he killed any of Jaime's men in KL personally?)

Bran and Rickon: 0 (unless wolves count)

Robb: a few wildlings with Osha, Rickard Karstark

Jon: Halfhand, Slynt, however many wildlings between escaping and fighting at the Wall

Arya: Stableboy, Lorch's guy, Harrenhal guard, how many did she get with Weasel soup?, 2 at the inn with Hound, Raff, dareon, boat insurance guy....

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Robb went into some battles we don't know the details of. His 'kill count' may be way up than everybody else.

I think so too.  I would say Robb, Jon, and then Arya.

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Robb went into some battles we don't know the details of. His 'kill count' may be way up than everybody else.

16 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I suppose, to take the OP’s question literally, it means kills we’ve witnessed? I.e. ones we see in a POV. In which case either Arya or Jon win, though I think it’s pretty obvious that Rob will have chalked up a few more than at least Arya given he’s been in so many battles. No guarantee though, as we don’t hear many specifics.

Despite Robb going into battle, he likely did not kill anyone.  There is a reason kings/ high lords have a dozen or so personal body guards and it is so no 1 ever gets near the king/high lord.  Take Whispering wood for example.  Jaime charges straight at Robb and kills at least 2 of his guards but never gets to Robb.  Especially given the lopsided nature of all his victories, we should really assume he has just the 1 kill, Karstark.

To clarify (So spake the Quizzmaster):

Ordering the death of people, e.g. by hanging or asking Jaqen H'ghar, does not count.

Arya's killing of the insurance man in Braavos does count.

Killings by direwolves do not count.

Assumed killings do not count (reported killings).

Wights count as persons.

@Rob Storm You are closest to make a correct bill. But you have to be very precise to be able to give the right answer.

20 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

In the future, could you please state what is the exact topic of the thread in its title? 

The last thing this forums needs is even more threads with confusing names that don't even hint what is it all about.

Yours, Bluetiger

Sorry, Blue Tiger. I wanted to make an amusing quizz giving chance to prove text knowledge.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Despite Robb going into battle, he likely did not kill anyone.  There is a reason kings/ high lords have a dozen or so personal body guards and it is so no 1 ever gets near the king/high lord.  Take Whispering wood for example.  Jaime charges straight at Robb and kills at least 2 of his guards but never gets to Robb.  Especially given the lopsided nature of all his victories, we should really assume he has just the 1 kill, Karstark.

Normally, yes but by all acounts Robb fights on the front line. In this case those personal guards just watch his back.

Ok, on-page kills (confirmed)

5  Arya- stable boy, Bolton Guard, the Tickler, Poliver's squire, 'see spoiler'

Spoiler

Raff the Sweetling

5  Jon- Othor, Orell, Qhorin Halfhand, Wilding while fleeing Ygritte and the Magnar, Janos Slynt

1  Ned- Gared (NW Deserter)

2  Robb- Wilding traveling with Osha, Rickard Karstark

1  Cat- Jinglebell

Sansa, Bran, & Rickon- N/A

If I understood the rules, you do not count probable kills (Arya against Amory Lorch's men at the stone keep, Jon against wildings at Castle Black).

False, Arya has not killed more people on-page than all the other Starks combined

17 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Ok, on-page kills (confirmed)

5  Arya- stable boy, Bolton Guard, the Tickler, Poliver's squire, 'see spoiler'

Hide contents

Raff the Sweetling

5  Jon- Othor, Orell, Qhorin Halfhand, Wilding while fleeing Ygritte and the Magnar, Janos Slynt

1  Ned- Gared (NW Deserter)

2  Robb- Wilding traveling with Osha, Rickard Karstark

1  Cat- Jinglebell

Sansa, Bran, & Rickon- N/A

If I understood the rules, you do not count probable kills (Arya against Amory Lorch's men at the stone keep, Jon against wildings at Castle Black).

False, Arya has not killed more people on-page than all the other Starks combined

Now, there is a thorough answer, but not perfect counting.

Arya: 8:

• stable Boy at KL
  • at least one man during fight against Amory Lorch's men (with Yoren's men)
  • guard at Harrenhal
  • Tickler
  • Polliver's squire
  • insurance man at Braavos
  • Daeron at Braavos
  • the one you mentioned in your spoiler

Ned: 2

• Gared
  • Tregar (during the ambush by Jamie Lannister in KL; Tregar dies some days later from the injuries he received by Ned)

Catelyn: 1

• Jinglebell at the Red Wedding

Bran, Rickon, Sansa: all 0

Robb: 2

• Lord Rickard Karstark (beheaded)
  • One of the Wildlings attacking Bran in the Woods near Winterfell (Osha's Group)

Jon: 7

• Othor
  • Qhorin Halfhand
  • Orell
  • Janos Slynt
  • at least 3 during the battle of Castle Black (2 x arrow in neck, once with Longclaw splitting the head of a Wildling)
  • it can be assumed that Jon killed some more (see below), but the count is already sufficient to give an answer to the question:

Arya = 8; Ned+Robb+Cat+Jon = 2+2+1+7=12 => The answer ist FALSE

More killings Jon assumingly has on his count:

• during his flight from the Thenns at Queenscrown at least one dead can be safely assumed amongst the Wildlings Jon attacked: "All at once Jon Snow knew he would never get a better Chance. He cut down the first man as heturned toward the wolf, shoved past a second, slashed a third. [...] He swung at the back of the man's calf, and felt the steel down to the bone. [...] A Hand closed round his ankle, and he hacked down and saw Bodger's face dissolve in a welter of blood. The horse reared, lashing out. One hoof caught a Thenn in the temple, with a crunch." To "cut down someone" in the GRRM Texts normally means to deal a deadly blow.
  • during the battle of Castle Black with his bow Jon brings down several Wildlings, but the wound is not detailed, only that the people he hit are falling down stairs or dropping to the ground and not moving any further

8 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Now, there is a thorough answer, but not perfect counting.

Arya: 8:

• stable Boy at KL
  • at least one man during fight against Amory Lorch's men (with Yoren's men)
  • guard at Harrenhal
  • Tickler
  • Polliver's squire
  • insurance man at Braavos
  • Daeron at Braavos
  • the one you mentioned in your spoiler

Ned: 2

• Gared
  • Tregar (during the ambush by Jamie Lannister in KL; Tregar dies some days later from the injuries he received by Ned)

Jon: 7

• Othor
  • Qhorin Halfhand
  • Orell
  • Janos Slynt
  • at least 3 during the battle of Castle Black (2 x arrow in neck, once with Longclaw splitting the head of a Wildling)
  • it can be assumed that Jon killed some more (see below), but the count is already sufficient to give an answer to the question:

Arya = 8; Ned+Robb+Cat+Jon = 2+2+1+7=12 => The answer ist FALSE

More killings Jon assumingly has on his count:

• during his flight from the Thenns at Queenscrown at least one dead can be safely assumed amongst the Wildlings Jon attacked: "All at once Jon Snow knew he would never get a better Chance. He cut down the first man as heturned toward the wolf, shoved past a second, slashed a third. [...] He swung at the back of the man's calf, and felt the steel down to the bone. [...] A Hand closed round his ankle, and he hacked down and saw Bodger's face dissolve in a welter of blood. The horse reared, lashing out. One hoof caught a Thenn in the temple, with a crunch." To "cut down someone" in the GRRM Texts normally means to deal a deadly blow.
  • during the battle of Castle Black with his bow Jon brings down several Wildlings, but the wound is not detailed, only that the people he hit are falling down stairs or dropping to the ground and not moving any further

Misunderstood the qualifier that Arya DOES get credit for the insurance man. Completely spaced Daeron.

I did not think Tregar counted for Ned (I did think of him), but I also did not go back and read that passage to see if it was Ned that dealt the blow.

I also counted Jon's wilding at Queenscrown, but not those he shot/cleaved during the skirmish with the Thenns. I also forgot that he used Longclaw on one guy who came up the tower. He also poured the boiling oil on the group storming the tower. Though that may not cause death, it could have.

It is unfortunate that we do not get Robb as a POV so we have a better idea of his count, and Ned's count during the RR and GR. But as we have both said, Arya has a lot, but not so much that she puts the rest of the family to shame.

5 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Misunderstood the qualifier that Arya DOES get credit for the insurance man. Completely spaced Daeron.

I did not think Tregar counted for Ned (I did think of him), but I also did not go back and read that passage to see if it was Ned that dealt the blow.

I also counted Jon's wilding at Queenscrown, but not those he shot/cleaved during the skirmish with the Thenns. I also forgot that he used Longclaw on one guy who came up the tower. He also poured the boiling oil on the group storming the tower. Though that may not cause death, it could have.

It is unfortunate that we do not get Robb as a POV so we have a better idea of his count, and Ned's count during the RR and GR. But as we have both said, Arya has a lot, but not so much that she puts the rest of the family to shame.

I think Arya puts them to shame however, considering she is so young and a girl. Absolutely astonishing survival skills and strong character..

I am glad that at least one reader put himself into detailed reading/memory. I was astonished, how many situations came back to my mind, knowing I would have to re-read them carefully to gather the details. Thanks four your contribution to this little quizz.:rolleyes:

On January 2, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

In the books until now (pre-released chapters of WOW included):

We witnessed Arya personally killing more pople than all other Starks (Ned, Cat, Bran, Rickon, Robb, Jon, Sansa) together -

True or false?

I think we can add The Neddard to this underwhelming list of killers as well. I mean, throughout RR, we hear tell of him drawing a sword against all of 3 dudes, and killing but one of them. In-POV, we have the killing of two: Gared and Lady. (Yes, I count Lady as a person.) From his own mouth, we have the confession that Gared was the fourth Sworn Brother to go awol.

This brings Ned's (eyewitness) bodycount to six iirc, at the ripe old age of 35:

4 Night's Watch brethren

1 direwolf puppy

1 Sword of the Morning

Arya's bodycount is to be expected for an eleven/twelve year old Alpha She-Wolf. One wonders how high Lyanna's bodycount was by the age of 16. A man also wonders if this is why Ned had to kill his seventh... :devil:

3 minutes ago, Voice said:

I think we can add The Neddard to this underwhelming list of killers as well. I mean, throughout RR, we hear tell of him drawing a sword against all of 3 dudes, and killing but one of them. In-POV, we have the killing of two: Gared and Lady. (Yes, I count Lady as a person.) From his own mouth, we have the confession that Gared was the fourth Sworn Brother to go awol.

This brings Ned's (eyewitness) bodycount to six iirc, at the ripe old age of 35:

4 Night's Watch brethren

1 direwolf puppy

1 Sword of the Morning

Arya's bodycount is to be expected for an eleven/twelve year old Alpha She-Wolf. One wonders how high Lyanna's bodycount was by the age of 16. A man also wonders if this is why Ned had to kill his seventh... :devil:

See the rules of the quizzmaster (we = the Reader):

On ‎02‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Greywater-Watch said:

We witnessed

Sword of the morning = Ned's memory/dream = no witnessing by us (Reader) in real time.

dito for "we hear tell of him"

direwolf = no person

54 minutes ago, Greywater-Watch said:

See the rules of the quizzmaster (we = the Reader):

Sword of the morning = Ned's memory/dream = no witnessing by us (Reader) in real time.

dito for "we hear tell of him"

direwolf = no person

Agree re: fever dream/sotf....but...Ned never denies kiling Arthur, and grows sad beyond words when telling his boy about the man.

Witnessed kills alone? Then Ned has killed but one man (whom he names as the "fourth this year"). I think we quite agree that Arya is the greatest wolf of them all. 

Direwolves = People though :commie:

I'll fight you. :fencing:

22 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

1  Cat- Jinglebell

She also killed a mountain clansman on the High Road. We witness it through Tyrion's POV.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, Greywater-Watch said:

In the books until now (pre-released chapters of WOW included):

We witnessed Arya personally killing more pople than all other Starks (Ned, Cat, Bran, Rickon, Robb, Jon, Sansa) together -

True or false?

False, not even close.

18 hours ago, Mick of House Guinness said:

She also killed a mountain clansman on the High Road. We witness it through Tyrion's POV.

Good call! I forgot to check on that incident.

21 hours ago, Voice said:

Agree re: fever dream/sotf....but...Ned never denies kiling Arthur, and grows sad beyond words when telling his boy about the man.

Witnessed kills alone? Then Ned has killed but one man (whom he names as the "fourth this year"). I think we quite agree that Arya is the greatest wolf of them all. 

Direwolves = People though :commie:

I'll fight you. :fencing:

Ned killed two, read the book in detail.

On Arya: Yes we agree.

Direwolves are great, but the quizzmaster spoke!

I'll stick you with the pointy end.....:ph34r:

Archived