W-Lan Worries

As the title suggests I have a small problem with my wireless lan. A few days ago, I was unable to log into it. Well, it actually doesn't even show up as an available network.

The problem appears to be on the router side of things, as I have the problem with both my old rusty desktop (Win XP OS (I said it's old)), and my laptop (OS: win 10).

Attempted solutions. 

Step 1. Unplugged the router for a few minutes.

Step 2. I did reset the damn thing back to factory settings. Both did not solve my problems. 

The router itself is a Hitron. The blinking green light on the router seems to be somewhat in agreement with my assessment, that the router is the problem.

I am really open for any suggestions.

If a factory reset didn't do the trick then my main suggestion is to replace the router. In my experience after a few years consumer grade networking gear gets a bit flaky. That said, you might try connecting to an available wired port for further troubleshooting before buying a replacement.

Fortunately it also has ethernet ports. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the internet, and that's also the way I performed the aforementioned reset to the factory settings.

It's just so much more convenient to be online without the lan cable.

The antennae are probably dead.  In my limited experience most routers are pretty sensitive to any power fluctuations, not just actual surges.  I've had several routers just bug out from the power going off and coming back on quickly, which is why I keep mine on my battery backup now.  I even had a couple do the same as your's is doing now (although they weren't the same brand, old Linksys ones IIRC.)

5 hours ago, DreamSongs said:

I'm definitely not happy with the dlink we have.  I wish that I had kept my Netgear. Which I guess answers my own question.

I used to be all about Linksys in the old days, but they are crap now.  After too many dead routers from power nonsense, I have a Netgear WNDR4500 on my battery backup, it it doesn't even blink at 2 Xboxs, 2 PCs, 1 Rasberry Pi (running RasPlex), my phone, a couple Nintendo DS (kids watch YouTube on them), and my phone.  I'd say that at least 4 are always in use at a given time, the router is a definite beast.

Archived