Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

Man I really disagree about the Harry Potter movies getting better as they go. Sorcerer Stone and Chamber of Secrets are both great kid movies that never get old to me. Maybe it's cause they follow the books the closest idk but i feel like they have much more charm than the others. PoA is the best acted and directed one though for sure. 

3 hours ago, matt b said:

The Good Place season finale was last night and it was brilliant. I really hope they bring that one back for a season 2. Consistently funny and they managed to do some really amazing storytelling that I didn't think was possible in a network comedy. Ted Danson kills it, especially in the finale.

Very much agree with this. I enjoyed it a lot throughout the season, and then the finale proved that the show was even smarter than I'd given it credit.

And yes, Ted Danson was excellent. I really hope this gets renewed.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Sneaky Pete is really enjoyable. It has the same writers as Justified (Yost as showrunner with a similar writing room)  plus great character actors. The story is ok, but like most of the Justified seasons, the secondary characters shine and the ending gets absolutely nuts as all of the separate side threads flow into the main thread. Very entertaining.

I might have to check this out. Justified is probably a top 10 show for me. I had no idea Yost had something new out. Can't go wrong with Cranston either. 

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Man I really disagree about the Harry Potter movies getting better as they go. Sorcerer Stone and Chamber of Secrets are both great kid movies that never get old to me. Maybe it's cause they follow the books the closest idk but i feel like they have much more charm than the others. PoA is the best acted and directed one though for sure. 

I thought the series made a perfect U shaped line graph. Starting off very good with the first two but steadily declining until I found parts of the 4th and 5th movies to be almost unwatchable then 6th movie began and upswing continuing until the end to 7 and 8 which were very good.

I guess that would be V shaped rather than U shaped but u get the idea

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I like the early ones the best. The third is probably my favourite. Once you get past the fourth one I start losing interest.

This evening I watched Anomalisa. I was very close to seeing this at the cinema but thank goodness I didn't. I found it unbearable to watch in places, especially the interminable sex scene. I very nearly muted the tv or fast forwarded the film. The protagonist is unremittingly awful from start to finish and there really isn't anything to explain why or balance it out... And he acted like such a gigantic creeper I found it intolerable. It made my skin crawl. 

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Same, although I seem to be a minority of one that hates the third movie. Maybe it's just because of the complete change from the second film (style, Dumbledore, tone, etc...I love the third book though). Fourth was ok but I had issues, and then from the fifth onwards it was downhill. Especially the lazy way Magic was shown in the later films. 

The Philosopher's Stone is a very good adaptation IMO. There are still changes but it so brilliantly portrays that sense of Magic and wonder I felt first reading the book. The books do change in tone as the characters mature though, so the first film is notably different from the later ones.

3 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

I thought the series made a perfect U shaped line graph. Starting off very good with the first two but steadily declining until I found parts of the 4th and 5th movies to be almost unwatchable then 6th movie began and upswing continuing until the end to 7 and 8 which were very good.

I guess that would be V shaped rather than U shaped but u get the idea

See I find the sixth movie almost unwatchable (though to be fair it's the weakest book) with all the stuff it cuts out and replaces with stupid filler and the stupid focus on the badly written teenage romance plots (again though this is something Rowling isn't great at either). It seems such a long film considering all the things not included from the book, and for all it's length it's really quite dull, and very little happens

Order of the Phoenix isn't great but gets some brownie points for Imelda Staunton as Umbridge though.

I watched West Side Story after what been a very, very long time.  

It is still a very enjoyable movie for me. The fighting being done in dance has been parody much (favorites being Norman Mcdonald'd SNL sketch and Family Guy) but is very well done.

"America" still holds great relevancy after 60 years (the Broadway show debut in 1957).  The two lines "Everything ok in America" "If you all white in America" still has a punch to it.

A little story spoiler but still general:

Spoiler

The attempted gang rape kind of went over me when younger but it is a real distressing scene now.  That it is has a reprise of the music from "America" really adds a harshness to it.

It definitely does want me to revisit some other movies I did not see for a very long time.

2 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I watched West Side Story after what been a very, very long time.  

Hide contents

A classic. It has aged well because it was great to begin with.

I watched Robot and Frank last night. A quiet little film I missed at the pictures in 2015. It has quite a few nice little bits of humour (i liked the interaction between different robots) but it also has some bittersweet moments. It was cute.

Episode 8 of Sneaky Pete was awesome with and amazing ending.  I wanted to stay up and watch the last two, but behaved myself and went to bed.  Just watched episode 9, and I could say exactly the same thing - awesome and amazing.  Will be disappointed when episode 10 is finished in 52 minutes.

Watched Sicario last night. It was entertaining and interesting but I felt that it never really got right up there and hit the high notes, i.e. it didn't truly impress me with any performances or scenes. It was fine I guess but it's the least impressive film I've seen from Villeneuve. 

Caught a piece of Looper on the tele the other day. It's actually a stronger film than I remembered, which was kind of surprising because I already thought pretty highly off it. I don't know how the director managed to coax a good performance out of Bruce Willis, but I wish more people were able to do so. Joseph Gordon Levitt was great despite all the weird make-up and prosthetics to make him look more like Willis. Emily Blunt was dashing as always. I'm pretty sure I saw The Devil Wears Prada before this, but this was the first film were she really registered with me. The kid was also pretty good.

On 21-1-2017 at 2:37 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Same, although I seem to be a minority of one that hates the third movie. Maybe it's just because of the complete change from the second film (style, Dumbledore, tone, etc...I love the third book though). Fourth was ok but I had issues, and then from the fifth onwards it was downhill. Especially the lazy way Magic was shown in the later films. 

I'm with you on that one. It's an overrated piece of shit imo. From the many nonsensical changes, to the disrespect for the magical world (They used to have a dresscode) and the awful creature design (that wasn't a werewolf but a giant aborted fetus damn it and the dementors were boring) it just doesn't gel together. A shame because the third book was also one of my favourites. 

The Philosopher's Stone is a very good adaptation IMO. There are still changes but it so brilliantly portrays that sense of Magic and wonder I felt first reading the book. The books do change in tone as the characters mature though, so the first film is notably different from the later ones.

I think the second one does that as well :) that's the reason why I like those two films the best. Aside from the first two, the only film I really like is the seventh one strangely enough. 

See I find the sixth movie almost unwatchable (though to be fair it's the weakest book) with all the stuff it cuts out and replaces with stupid filler and the stupid focus on the badly written teenage romance plots (again though this is something Rowling isn't great at either). It seems such a long film considering all the things not included from the book, and for all it's length it's really quite dull, and very little happens

The sixth film was horrible, indeed easily the worst of the series. At least PoA had some nice stylistic flourishes from time to time and tried to a bigger degree to stay faithful to the story. The romance plot was almost impossible to stomach. Especially everything related to Harry and Ginny. It was badly written, filmed and acted (the actress playing Ginny is awful). 

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Episode 8 of Sneaky Pete was awesome with and amazing ending.  I wanted to stay up and watch the last two, but behaved myself and went to bed.  Just watched episode 9, and I could say exactly the same thing - awesome and amazing.  Will be disappointed when episode 10 is finished in 52 minutes.

Think I'm going to put this on my list. I haven't really given any of the Amazon originals (outside of Red Oaks) a chance and I'm curious.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched Sicario last night. It was entertaining and interesting but I felt that it never really got right up there and hit the high notes, i.e. it didn't truly impress me with any performances or scenes. It was fine I guess but it's the least impressive film I've seen from Villeneuve. 

Yeah definitely lacked a punch and I really think they should have done something with Emily Blunt's character. In my mind it had a lot of potential to be a great movie but just missed that... something.

Been watching the Get Down on Netflix for reasons I don't know. Has my interest for now but sometimes it feels like a teen/kids show but with a lot of unnecessary F words and adult themes in there. Maybe I'm turning into a crotchety old man.

Are any of the Hulu originals worth watching?  For some reason I reactivated hulu this month, but this platform is so useless most of the time.  Constantly freezes, this across all devices and even different ISPs.  But since I paid for this month, figured I should at least attempt to get use out of it.  So, any of the originals decent?

Archived