Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Hacksaw Ridge has to be one of the worst war movies I've ever seen. I just had to say that. It was almost laugh out loud funny at times, so full of corny cliche, poor writing and flat amateurish direction.

That a movie that is somehow trying to hold up pacifism as a virtue yet delights in brutal violence at the same time shows that Gibson has been out of the direction game too long. 

Will probably win an oscar for something though 

I seldom agree with you and this time is no different. 

Putting my Amazon Prime membership to use this week and saw the beautifully directed/edited yet tragic documentary about Amy Winehouse, and binged S1 of Sneaky Pete.

Sneaky Pete was a surprise for me in how good it was. Graham Yost who ran JUSTIFIED produced and wrote a few episodes, and Bryan Cranston was back as a TV villain. Ribisi is such a solid performer and carries the series well as the grifter who can talk and think his way out of any situation. There are a few plot points that seem a bit unnecessary and are there only to give certain characters something to do. However, the cast was so good that I didn't mind those bits.

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Hacksaw Ridge has to be one of the worst war movies I've ever seen. I just had to say that. It was almost laugh out loud funny at times, so full of corny cliche, poor writing and flat amateurish direction...

Damn. I thought it was an okay film. There was a bit of corniness to it and it's not as good as Braveheart or Apocalypto, but I by no means thought it a bad film. :/ I'd be surprised though if it did win an Oscar. I'm not sure Hollywood is that ready to welcome back Mel in that way.

Last night I watched The King's Speech because I am trying to catch up with all of the Best Picture winners. I had quite low expectations, expecting it to be very cliched and twee but it was actually ok. Some good performances and it was even quite moving at times. The scene where he returns from his coronation and is greeted by his daughters was very well done.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Damn. I thought it was an okay film. There was a bit of corniness to it and it's not as good as Braveheart or Apocalypto, but I by no means thought it a bad film. :/ I'd be surprised though if it did win an Oscar. I'm not sure Hollywood is that ready to welcome back Mel in that way.

It was possibly enjoyable purely for Garfield who put in a good performance, but I felt like it was a collection of all the very worst cliches of hollywood war movies, mashed together without thought or wit.
It had the beginning half which was basically Full metal jacket written by a child, with characters that were extreme archetypes and templates instead of believable human beings. Vince Vaughn was a bit of a disaster as he's become very difficult to take seriously and instead of being someone you are supposed to respect and be afraid of, his character just seemed like he was about to do a fart joke at every turn. 

The second half was riffing off a bunch of far superior WW2 movies that have come out over the past decade or so, Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Iwo Jima etc. Yet the action was appallingly shot. It was basically a collection people exploding, broadly defined japanese people running at the camera and some very weak CGI landscape shots. Mostly completely incomprehensible. It didn't help that the entire battle felt like it was filmed on a very small badly lit set either. 

I'm very surprised its getting the buzz it is. Its as confusing as the movies morality.

Started The Santa Clarita Diet. Wasn't sure at first but a few episodes in I'm enjoying it as a sort of mindless fun. IZombie is better (I mean, duh, that showcis great) but I've found myself laughing along with this one.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:39 AM, Isis said:

Watched Young Adult - a weird, quiet little film with a great performance from Charlize Theron as a truly awful person whom it is actually hard to dislike.

I saw this when it came out and found it impossible not to dislike her, even if one might understand her.  Sort of.

Which made me admire the film and the actress.  A lot. :)

I just finished the first episode of Powerless and I thought it was great.  I think I knew that it was a DC universe show, but I didn't remember that going into it.  Alan Tudyk was great and Vanessa Hudgens was very charming.  It has a bit of a Better off Ted vibe, hopefully it can find that same groove but garner a much larger audience.  

I loved Batman ripping off their tech at the end.

I tried to watch Guardians of the Galaxy today but had to switch it off after 20 minutes because it was dull and made me cringe. I had a very similar experience watching Avengers Assemble, like it was supposed to be funny but it just was not amusing to me.

In other news, I saw Annie Hall earlier and I thought it was great. Diane Keaton was AMAZING. Definitely an award-winning performance. So glad I watched this. I do want to watch more Woody Allen stuff but I don't think I can do a load of it in one go, so I need to give it some time before I watch any more.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Sneaky Pete was a surprise for me in how good it was. Graham Yost who ran JUSTIFIED produced and wrote a few episodes, and Bryan Cranston was back as a TV villain. Ribisi is such a solid performer and carries the series well as the grifter who can talk and think his way out of any situation. There are a few plot points that seem a bit unnecessary and are there only to give certain characters something to do. However, the cast was so good that I didn't mind those bits.

Just finished the season. Loved it. Took about until the second or third episode for me to really get into it, but once I did I was all in. Always enjoy Ribisi in just about anything he's in, but he's always the best when he's a con artist or some kind of scammer.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:42 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I just finished the first episode of Powerless and I thought it was great.  I think I knew that it was a DC universe show, but I didn't remember that going into it.  Alan Tudyk was great and Vanessa Hudgens was very charming.  It has a bit of a Better off Ted vibe, hopefully it can find that same groove but garner a much larger audience.  

Hide contents

I loved Batman ripping off their tech at the end.

I watched it with my wife, who is not into super heroes or comics and at all. Neither of us found it very funny, but I did like the references enough to warrant giving it a few more episodes to see if it finds its footing more. Normally I wouldn't have suggested she watch it with me, but she loves shows like Parks & Rec and the Office, so I thought that might bring her into it. It fell completely flat with her though.

One other thing, I could have sworn from watching a trailer online somewhere that it was supposed to be about some kind of an insurance agency that took care of super hero damage. Did I just completely dream that up or something?

I watched Powerless as well. I wasn't impressed either I. It wasn't very funny or very memorable. But it's the first episode, most sitcoms need a couple of episodes to find its footing.

I watched The Fighter this week and wished I'd seen it sooner. Still feels really weird to me that Christian Bale had to wait THAT LONG to win an Oscar. I wasn't actually expecting all that much from the film but the family drama of it had me totally sucked in. I actually thought it was a great film for entertainment purposes.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

I watched The Fighter this week and wished I'd seen it sooner. Still feels really weird to me that Christian Bale had to wait THAT LONG to win an Oscar. I wasn't actually expecting all that much from the film but the family drama of it had me totally sucked in. I actually thought it was a great film for entertainment purposes.

It was my favorite movie from the year it came out. 

The weird thing about The Fighter is that it omits the most dramatic and famous part of Ward's career, the trilogy of fights with Arturo Gatti. Although to be the fights themselves would be basically impossible not to diminish in the adaptation (I mean come on now), whereas his relationship with the tragic Gatti is a subject for a whole other film.

Finished S2 of Man in the High Castle. *sigh*  It has good aspects, but overall...kinda meh.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:23 AM, drawkcabi said:

Just finished the season. Loved it. Took about until the second or third episode for me to really get into it, but once I did I was all in. Always enjoy Ribisi in just about anything he's in, but he's always the best when he's a con artist or some kind of scammer.

Glad you liked it. I found it a solid series. Looking forward to seeing what they cook up for S2.

I didn't know anything about the story behind The Fighter, I have to admit. It's not really about fighting though, is it. :)

Last night I watched Gone Baby Gone. Wish I hadn't bothered really. It's overly long and it's quite dated. In fact, it almost feels older than it is.

I thought the premiere of Legion was amazing. I loved pretty much everything about it. How weird it was, the cast, the music was great (I like the nod to Syd Barrett), and the ending was badass. I read some of the Legion comics years ago, and I remember digging them for the most part, but for whatever reason I mostly forgot about the character until I heard about this show being made. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Oh, just remembered - I also watched a weird zombie film called The Rezort. I had been given the impression that it was a series...I think maybe someone told me about 'this new series you might like', and to be honest the premise sounded more like a series than a film. Anyway, it was a film. The only person in it I knew was Dougray Scott (whatever happened to him, eh?). It was ok, in that it asked some good questions about just exactly how fucking awful humans are. There were some zombies.  ... Not much else to say really. If you're bedridden with sickness it passes the time.

11 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Finished S2 of Man in the High Castle. *sigh*  It has good aspects, but overall...kinda meh.

Glad you liked it. I found it a solid series. Looking forward to seeing what they cook up for S2.

I love grifter/con artist/gambling/heist movies and shows, The Sting, Oceans series, Rounders, Italian Job, Better Call Saul, etc. Sneaky Pete definitely was solid and kept me happily engaged. Also, Margo Martindale is intimidating as hell to me. She's real scary.

Spoiler

Kind of disappointed she had no scenes with Bryan Cranston, would be the irresistible force meeting the immovable object kind of scene. There's still a chance though next season if Vince gets sprung or finds away to work the system so he's not in jail.

I've watched one episode of Man in the High Castle season 2 and found it very "meh". Enough to have me procrastinating to get back to it, looking for something better to watch. But I was still hoping it would be good when I did get back to it.

Since I finished Sneaky Pete I've been watching episodes of Frequency which all episodes are available for streaming on Netflix now. I was surprised how much of a faithful remake of the film it was, especially in the first two episodes. I'm four episodes in right now and looking forward to continue.

Archived