Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

It is absolutely not a Black Sails, more's the pity.  I could have been if anyone had any idea of how to write and plot.

The actors are fine, but they are hamstrung by such terrible writing.  So they play it as straight as they can, but the mustache twirling is still in evidence.

I'm watching the final, third season of the BBC Musketeers this week.  Loving it as much as as I did from the beginning of its first season back in 2014.  It's action-packed, well-written, well acted, etc.  But it's action and fighting more than violence, per se, so it may not suit you as well as it suits me.

i watched the musketeers a bit with my nan she loves it (she has a great taste in TV) so might watch that properly i only ever watched bits and bobs when i visit her and when i lived with her

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You really should make it a priority. It's only 3 seasons, so not a massive commitment. It has the best dialogue of any show I've ever seen (which a Tarantino fan should appreciate :D), and Ian McShane gave a performance for the ages. Don't let the non-ending hold you back either. Ofc it would have been great to have got more, but it's still plenty satisfying. 

hmmm is it HBO? how do i watch it??? i watch stuff on netflix and amazon but i don'#t like to stream stuff online if i can help it 

50 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah - have to buy it...Oh well I work in a DVD store anyway I will see how much it is in work - I've seen the box set for as little at 9.99 in some sales (and I get 30 percent discount on top) I never buy TV boxsets but if it's the only way to watch it I will 

Time warp! I only know of one DVD store within hours of me. Use to spend an hour in them trying to pick out a show to watch!

I loved Deadwood, but I am someone who needs an ending so that took something away from it for me. It is still worth watching even if you are ocd like me.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The People v OJ Simpson arrived on Netflix today, so based on the positive reviews on here I'm going to check that out

I just binged this a few days ago, it's really good. My only complaint was Cuba Gooding Jr was horribly miscast as OJ. Everyone else was fantastic though. Ryan Murphy has teased me with a great first season of a show before  (AHS Murderhouse), only to never live up to it again though. After watching OJ I learned the next season of ACS will be hurricane Katrina, which seems like a strange choice. I also feel like I've already seen that story in Treme. Not really too excited for the next season tbh. 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't know why but I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as most other people, possibly because I live in London and its nice seeing my local area being blown up

I live in London too. Actually I think it would be the opposite reaction actually. Stuff like 'Charing Cross' tube station - looked more like Moorgate to me, or the bit where they are by the Bank of England one second and then near Waterloo the next... all that stuff is like, what??? Also, what were they even doing at St Paul's anyway? Surely they would have been at Westminster Abbey for a state funeral?

Then you're into the non-Londoncentric stuff like. Why would SS22 be like, 'ok, American dude, we'll just hang around out here, doing bugger all while you go on your one-man mission on our turf'? Or why didn't the president just go to the US embassy seeing as he went to a safe place right by Grosvenor Square anyhow? Also, why not blow up (or try to!) Thames House, since it was right there on the river when they blew up that barge, rather than the palace of Westminster?

Also, why wasn't there any other British military response (to stuff, like, oh US heliocopters in our air space - as it's a pretty big deal flying over London)? It's not as if the SAS are the ONLY military response we have to offer. And this is before I get into any of the bizarro CT/agency stuff. Or the ridiculous impossibility of the level of corruption shown in the film.

And another thing, why on earth would an Oscar winning actress attach herself to this thing when I think she only had one actual lone of dialogue in it? I am baffled by that. It must have been especially well paid is all I can think of... Sure, it must have been fun for Gerald Butler (and maybe some of the bad guys) but for everyone else, just embarassingly awful really. Oh, and what the heck happened to Butler's 'American' accent when he bumped into some other Brits? It seemed like it was rubbing off on him. :)

Terrible film.

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't know why but I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as most other people, possibly because I live in London and its nice seeing my local area being blown up

That's funny.  Because we are more than tired of seeing our city destroyed by crazies, extraterrestrial  or otherwise, and really really really sick of seeing our particular neighborhood in every dang commercial, television show, etc.

:D

I can cheerfully watch a loud, brainless series of explosions and muscle labelled a 'movie'. Hell yeah. That said, London Has Fallen might have been the stupidest action movie I've ever seen. So every single fucking cop was a terrorist in disguise? Get the hell out of here. Stupidity piled on stupidity. Even the first one was loads better, and it was pretty damned terrible.

Read an AV Club article about romantic movies today, and realized that my roommate hasn't seen Eternal Sunshine, one of my 5 or so favorite movies of all time. I am excited. She'll never like any of the sci-fi stuff I enjoy, I never like her mainstream dopey love story, reality TV schlock. I think this one has two strong enough leads that she'll enjoy the romance, and not get too annoyed by the fantasy/sci-fi elements.

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

15 Minutes into the animated Killing Joke.. had to google that I'd managed to get the right movie.. what on earth is this crap?!

That's the one where they read all the criticism of the original comic being problematically chauvinistic in its treatment of Barbara, and decided to solve the problem by doubling down, right?

On 17/02/2017 at 1:09 PM, Isis said:

I live in London too. Actually I think it would be the opposite reaction actually. Stuff like 'Charing Cross' tube station - looked more like Moorgate to me, or the bit where they are by the Bank of England one second and then near Waterloo the next... all that stuff is like, what??? Also, what were they even doing at St Paul's anyway? Surely they would have been at Westminster Abbey for a state funeral?

To be fair, that's really the case for almost any film that's been filmed in any city. I don't usually mind it unless the geography's a specific part of the plot (like, since I moved to Berlin Run Lola Run winds me up something rotten).

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's the one where they read all the criticism of the original comic being problematically chauvinistic in its treatment of Barbara, and decided to solve the problem by doubling down, right?

Basically yes. I have no idea what they were intending to do with the material but seemingly anything else would have been better. The opening quarter of an hour is about Batgirl, Batman barely being in it, and then there is a bizarre sexual element to it. Killing Joke is possibly my favourite Batman story, one of the first I ever read. I'm not sure why they read that and didn't think it was enough, that somehow they needed to up the level of Batgirl instead of focusing on Joker and Batmans relationship, which the crucial element.

23 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I can cheerfully watch a loud, brainless series of explosions and muscle labelled a 'movie'. Hell yeah. That said, London Has Fallen might have been the stupidest action movie I've ever seen. So every single fucking cop was a terrorist in disguise? Get the hell out of here. Stupidity piled on stupidity. Even the first one was loads better, and it was pretty damned terrible.

No doubt the movie is stupid. But I think I have seen many worse. I tend to forgive movies that seem to be aware of their own stupidity and just double down on it, rather than those who don't have a clue.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:22 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Finished vikings now - hope this show lasts a good long while - it's always enjoyable 

I love Vikings too... Stay off the Vikings thread-- its a whine fest that's out of touch with reality.

Here's my top 10 all time:

1. The Sopranos

2. Breaking Bad

3. Deadwood

4.Mad Men

5. Game of Thrones 

6. The Wire

7. The Shield

8. Vikings

9. Rome 

10. OZ

Top 10 recent watches:

1. Westworld

2. Narcos

3. Stranger Things

4. Black Mirror

5. Peaky Blinders

6. Sherlock

7. The Crown

8.  Better Call Saul

9. Six

10.  The OA

Top 5 Most Disappointing Recently:

1. Legion

2. Taboo

3. Mr. Robot Season 2

4. Luke Cage

5. Walking Dead Season 7

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Can't recommend Deadwood enough

I cant decide whether to start Young Pope, Taboo or Vikings 4b

Vikings 4B is up and down like the show has been for years. Worth watching for Ivar alone though. 

I couldn't get into Taboo. Quit after 5 episodes. Haven't seen Young Pope. Subject matter doesn't interest me much. 

I'm finally giving Hannibal a try. Couple episodes in and it's pretty underwhelming so far, but I know you and others say it's gets much better as it goes on. 

Archived