Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That's the one where they read all the criticism of the original comic being problematically chauvinistic in its treatment of Barbara, and decided to solve the problem by doubling down, right?

To be fair, that's really the case for almost any film that's been filmed in any city. I don't usually mind it unless the geography's a specific part of the plot (like, since I moved to Berlin Run Lola Run winds me up something rotten).

I never liked run lola run lol and it's one of my best friends  (MASSIVE movie buff) favourite films and I was just like....eh. 

2 hours ago, generalzod said:

I love Vikings too... Stay off the Vikings thread-- its a whine fest that's out of touch with reality.

My favourite thing about Vikings (and Black Sails actually) is the mix of genuine historical people and legendary, likely fictional ones. It's really handled well - I think.  I think the guy who plays Ecbert is fantastic.  

16 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I'm finally giving Hannibal a try. Couple episodes in and it's pretty underwhelming so far, but I know you and others say it's gets much better as it goes on. 

I could never get by the first couple episodes. I should've gave it more time but I just never did. Also recommend Deadwood to whoever hasn't seen it.

18 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Vikings 4B is up and down like the show has been for years. Worth watching for Ivar alone though. 

I couldn't get into Taboo. Quit after 5 episodes. Haven't seen Young Pope. Subject matter doesn't interest me much. 

I'm finally giving Hannibal a try. Couple episodes in and it's pretty underwhelming so far, but I know you and others say it's gets much better as it goes on. 

I don't like Ivar. He's one of the few elements that really bugs me. Pretty much love the rest of it. 

41 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Can't recommend Deadwood enough

I cant decide whether to start Young Pope, Taboo or Vikings 4b

They're ALL TOTALLY different in terms of well...EVERYTHING so depends what mood you're in lmao 

I loved Young Pope but for some reason I stopped at episode 5 and haven't returned to it yet but it's not because I'm really finding any fault in it 

For me, season 1 of Baskets was the best comedy of 2016, and season 2 is shaping to be to be one of the best of 2017 as well. I cannot rave enough about Louie Anderson, his Emmy last year was much deserved and it wouldn't surprise me if he wins again.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I could never get by the first couple episodes. I should've gave it more time but I just never did. Also recommend Deadwood to whoever hasn't seen it.

Hannibal is one of my favourite shows. I cannot praise it enough, the performances, the direction, everything. That being said, it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Some may find it slow, underwhelming as you said, or some may find it too gory.
Although, i have seen it with 3 people, with completely different preferences, and all three loved the show.

First seasons are strange things.  They don't always gel like a Homeland or the Sopranos or Rome.  The show is often finding its focus and footing because what the writers had in their head translated differently to film, certain actors pop and others flatten, and even lucky accidents can focus a series.

Mad Men's season 1 Roger Sterling seemed like a one and done character who would be dead of a heart attack.  Michael Hirst had planned to kill Ragnar in the season 1 finale until he started seeing Travis perform and he slowed down the narrative, Jesse Pinkman in season 1 Breaking Bad was slated to die also.  Season 1 Star Trek TNG was godawful.  Happy Days had Chuck as Richie's older brother until they gave that dynamic to the Fonz and so on.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of the 12 that make up Gomorrah's first season (2014 -- there's a 2016 second season).  Addictive, despite recognizing overt influences in many scenes from USian successful screen entries of organized crime -- particularly The Wire -- of course! -- and the Godfather films.  This is particularly so in regard to The Wire, as both series began life as books, then short docu-drama television program, The Corner, and Gomorrah the 2008 film, followed by higher and slicker production value$, more profesional actors, fictionalized scripted drama seasons.  Naples and its suburbs, like Baltimore and its suburbs and more rural surrounding areas, is more than camera-friendly. It’s really good watching.

We've just started (2 episodes in) watching a show called Spotless late of the Esquire network... about a guy with a crime scene cleaning business who gets pulled into working for the London mob.... It's fairly entertaining thus far, but I think the show suffered from the way Esquire was trying to compare it to Breaking Bad, creating unrealistically high expectation...and thus the fans gave it terrible reviews. It was picked up by Netflix, and S2 is expected sometime in 2017.... https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/spotless-becomes-netflix-original-in-some-netflix-regions/

.... I will give a review when we're done later in the week

I watched John Wick : Chapter 2, which I thought was a very entertaining action movie. I think the plot was probably more interesting in the first film, although they're not exactly plot-driven films. It did have some great scenes, I particularly liked the chase through the hall-of-mirrors near the end.

I also rewatched Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi which I last saw when it was released at the cinema. I liked its quirky take on the Samurai movie (not that I've seen many samurai films, but I don't think they tend to finish with Bollywood dance numbers), although I wasn't a big fan of its fight choreography.

4 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

Hannibal is one of my favourite shows. I cannot praise it enough, the performances, the direction, everything. That being said, it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Some may find it slow, underwhelming as you said, or some may find it too gory.
Although, i have seen it with 3 people, with completely different preferences, and all three loved the show.

Yeah I've been watching this and I like it mostly for its brilliant visual sense. The acting is a lot of fun. Michael Pitt is simultaneously hilarious and disturbing when he comes into it. I've always been intrigued by the Will - Hannibal relationship and that was done well. It is a little slow and probably didn't need 13 episodes per season but I'd say its positives outweigh its negatives.

17 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Can't recommend Deadwood enough

Same. Absolutely love it. A genuine must-see.

Need to watch S4 of The Americans and start on Black Sails at some point.

It's not you.  SS-GB is a snooze.  It's slightly odd that the plot of the Nazis conquering England is a gumshoe murder case.  And the look and style of the show feels washed out and bloodless.  I'm sure they murder  will pay off  at some conspiracy at a high seat of power.

i don't love Man in The High Castle but I do find it more engaging than SS-GB.

I marathoned the entire first season of Sneaky Pete in the last couple of days. Thoroughly enjoyable. It's basically the plot, premise and characters of Banshee (complete with a Native American ganglord named Chayton) crossed with Ocean's 11. I found the editing and scene cuts in the earlier episodes very distracting and annoying but didn't notice it later on. Also thought the ending was a bit too campy and feel good. Ribisi and Cranston had good performances. Definitely looking forward to the 2nd season.

15 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

I had real problems with the first season which was pretty trashy, dumb and seemed to try and cover up a number of tired crime thriller cliches (in particular the 'superpowered' investigator who has a grim connection to the killers) with some interesting visuals. I stuck with it after advice from this board. Season 2 is a big improvement and it does get pretty gripping. 

Season 3 for me proved a step too far though, it simply became boring and didn't have nearly enough story to fill each episode, everything was drawn out in infuriating style. 

I personally wouldn't recommended it to anybody, I think there are far better tv shows out there.

Attempted SS:GB again. Its not for me,i was bored by the fifteen minute mark.

And good grief if anyone had problems with Tom Hardy's mumbling in Taboo (which i didnt) they ought to stay away from this. I couldnt understand a word anyone was saying half the time

Archived