Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

Have only two more episodes of Gomorrah to go.  Both of them are going focus on the war that erupts all over Naples as the two rival houses go to war.  Yah, even as back in the medieval and Renaissance eras, these guys belong to 'houses' not gangs.  That is the sort of thing that helps make Gomorrah a deeply woven tapestry.  We also get glimpses into the kinds of lives non-criminals in Naples and surroundings lead.  But it's pretty clear that the criminal classes are infiltering themselves into everyone's lives, wherever there is a way to make money.  Which is what is plaguing Italy these days.  It used to be that the gangs / families' activities tended to be confined to the south.  But now they are in everything from politics to agriculture to finance in every sector and region and town and city.  Life governed by violent corruption for everyone.  It's not pleasant.

Watched a couple things this weekend despite the good weather we had here.

The Great Wall, I saw previews and they looked pretty weak. I was right, the movie is pretty bad. There a lot of cool visuals but IMO that is all it's good for.

Watched No Country for Old men, second time. I don't know what it is but I don't get the same love for this as a lot of people do. To me it was a good movie but not great.

Watched Secret in their Eyes. Not a very good movie to me despite a lot of good actors being in it. The reveal at the end just didn't work for me.

Spoiler

Her partner had just come back to town after 13 years, tells her that he has spent most of his free time for 13 years dedicated to finding the killer of her daughter and she doesn't bother to say to him I killed him already, please stop looking? Instead she waits until after a lot of things happen including someone else dying trying to help. Only then does she say something, and even then it was still a lie. Just dumb writing.

I watched the first episodes of HBO's Big Little Lies and Trapped. Both being murder mysteries. The former about parents of children attending the same elementary school in Monterey, California and the latter taking place in small town Iceland during a snowstorm(shades of Fortitude so far). Big Little Lies will be a guilty pleasure. A train wreck you can't turn away from, but very well-done so far. Trapped being conventional Nordic noir so far.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Secret in their Eyes. Not a very good movie to me despite a lot of good actors being in it. The reveal at the end just didn't work for me.

Reveal hidden contents

Her partner had just come back to town after 13 years, tells her that he has spent most of his free time for 13 years dedicated to finding the killer of her daughter and she doesn't bother to say to him I killed him already, please stop looking? Instead she waits until after a lot of things happen including someone else dying trying to help. Only then does she say something, and even then it was still a lie. Just dumb writing.

Was this the remake or the Argentine original? I remember liking the original, although I remember absolutely nothing about it apart from the epic football stadium long-take.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Was this the remake or the Argentine original? I remember liking the original, although I remember absolutely nothing about it apart from the epic football stadium long-take.

According to Wiki it is a remake of that movie. I would assume the change for the American version is that it was a baseball stadium.

Watch London Has Fallen.  Completely outrageous and ridiculous.  Couldn't stop laughing.  

Spoiler

The worst part of this entire movie is that Morgran Freeman wasn't even President.  Freeman ain't no motherfucking vice prez.  Fuck that nonsense.  Oh, and also the plot.  I mean, they didn't even try to make it believable.  It was like how outrageous can they go.  Start at a massive terror attack of epic proportions that all intelligence groups throughout the world missed and end at Freeman being Veep.  

Glad I watched it though.  It was funny.  

I'm through Harry Potter #5, will watch #6 tomorrow.  I think #4 was my favorite with #3 as a close second; #5 was pretty rough.

This season of Outsiders has been really good.

Yesterday I watched the six released episodes of the new season of Workaholics... damn, this show has fallen far and hard.  I did think it was funny that Ders ended up wearing a Paddy's Pub shirt in an episode, because it showed that juxtaposition of a show that holds its quality in later seasons to this one that has not (although they were trying to use it as a joke for out of touch people or old people or something).

I watched The Girl on the Train the other night... Do people actually like this movie?  Fucked up people everywhere!  It's like it was a contest to see who was the most fucked up, and I was definitely the loser.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

finished iZombie; really love it n can't wait for next season 

just started watching crazy ex-girlfriend really enjoying it so far, the lead actress is really charming 

watched spaceballs and it was silly and goofy and i loved it

Crazy Ex-girlfriend is brilliant. The musical bits are hilarious and it's one of those comedies where I genuinely laugh out loud at it. Finishing up season one at the minute and going straight on to season two

8 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Crazy Ex-girlfriend is brilliant. The musical bits are hilarious and it's one of those comedies where I genuinely laugh out loud at it. Finishing up season one at the minute and going straight on to season two

yeah i watched 4 episodes today :) it did make me smile 

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yesterday I watched the six released episodes of the new season of Workaholics... damn, this show has fallen far and hard.  I did think it was funny that Ders ended up wearing a Paddy's Pub shirt in an episode, because it showed that juxtaposition of a show that holds its quality in later seasons to this one that has not (although they were trying to use it as a joke for out of touch people or old people or something).

Yeah, I bailed on Workaholics last season. Just isn't funny anymore. 

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm through Harry Potter #5, will watch #6 tomorrow.  I think #4 was my favorite with #3 as a close second; #5 was pretty rough.

# 4 is my favorite book in the series. The movie holds up fairly well. I feel like it's the stand-alone transitionary edition of the series; whereas 1-3 is part one and 5-7(8) is part 2. Agree on Order of the Phoenix. Not my favorite movie (coincidentally one of my least favorite of the novels).

Finished the first 4 episodes of The 100. I like it. I think it's pretty raw early on right now, and a little rough around the edges but I'm gonna give it time to grow and find it's legs. I see a lot of good reviews (without spoiling it) and have got good feedback on this thread from others watching it.

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm through Harry Potter #5, will watch #6 tomorrow.  I think #4 was my favorite with #3 as a close second; #5 was pretty rough.

This season of Outsiders has been really good.

I watched The Girl on the Train the other night... Do people actually like this movie?  Fucked up people everywhere!  It's like it was a contest to see who was the most fucked up, and I was definitely the loser.

Oh you poor soul, why would you do that to yourself?

Last night I watched the first two episodes of The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime story.  Whew, so far, it's quite mesmerizing, watching how this national obsession to be close to celebrity, which is distilled into purest form in LA, was the primary player in this travesty of justice.  Of course, the long history of the L.A. police department's brutality toward African Americans played an equal role.

As I have never been in the least bit interested in either celebrity culture or football, I came to this not knowing who any of these characters are / were.  So finally, I have learned something that has always puzzled me -- who the eff is Kim Kardashian and why does the population at large give a damn?  :D

Actually thought Girl on the Train was ok in some ways. Emily Blunt did a great job I thought. But the plot structure didn't work as well for a film as it did for a book. Anyway, I've seen much worse.

I'm still enjoying Chef's Table S3. Anyone else seen it yet?

John Wick 2 is awesome, but not quite as good as the first one. The choreography, visual design, cinematography and music were all top-notch but it was less restrained than the original. That's not a criticism per se but I personally preferred chapter one's more downbeat nature.

35 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Main reason I preferred the first one was

Hide contents

Viggo was a much better antagonist to John than the Italian dude in the second imo

Spoiler

Agreed. Also, what was up with the mute girl? The whole movie was setting her up to be this stone cold badass and at the end she just went down hard like any other mook. Cassian was definitely the best antagonist in chapter 2.

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh you poor soul, why would you do that to yourself?

Eh, I liked it better than #5.  Although, I think it should have been called Harry Potter and the Raging Hormones.  The ending was surprising.  Will watch the last two next week.

Archived