Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

12 hours ago, Isis said:

Actually thought Girl on the Train was ok in some ways. Emily Blunt did a great job I thought. But the plot structure didn't work as well for a film as it did for a book. Anyway, I've seen much worse.

I didn't read the book but I did expect much worse from most reviews I saw. It has its flaws but I'd say it's worth a watch.

John Wick 2 was pretty great. I hope they just keep coming out with these every few years. I have to rewatch the first one as I think I've only seen it the one time at the theatre.

Watched T2: Trainspotting (in a double bill with the first one). T2 ain't as good (in large part because where the first one feels like a natural flow of events, T2's happenings are driven by a series of epic coincidences and some other awkward contrivance), but that I could watch it directly back to back and not be disappointed speaks well for it.

The soundtrack doesn't let down either.

I'm halfway through the second season of Twin Peaks, and I have to admit that the Laura Palmer case is some of the best stuff I have watched on television. Apparently the remainder of the show isn't that good, but I already know this show will always have a place in my heart for the unique, interesting characters, the music, the acting and the mysteries.

I'm also watching season 3 of Downton Abbey. I'm enjoying it but it's not exactly what I thought it would be at this point. I always imagined DA as 'literature' but now that I've seen a third of it, it's as soapy as most other shows. I like the characters and visuals though, so even if the story could've been better I'm sticking with it.

Also watched the 2016 Jungle Book, enjoyed it. The story is of course extremely basic, but the performances and visuals make it worth your while.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

I'm halfway through the second season of Twin Peaks, and I have to admit that the Laura Palmer case is some of the best stuff I have watched on television. Apparently the remainder of the show isn't that good, but I already know this show will always have a place in my heart for the unique, interesting characters, the music, the acting and the mysteries.

I'm also watching season 3 of Downton Abbey. I'm enjoying it but it's not exactly what I thought it would be at this point. I always imagined DA as 'literature' but now that I've seen a third of it, it's as soapy as most other shows. I like the characters and visuals though, so even if the story could've been better I'm sticking with it.

Also watched the 2016 Jungle Book, enjoyed it. The story is of course extremely basic, but the performances and visuals make it worth your while.

With twin peaks the second season starts great, goes a bit shit in the middle and then gets really fucking good again - so you have a lot of stellar stuff to come 

43 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

With twin peaks the second season starts great, goes a bit shit in the middle and then gets really fucking good again - so you have a lot of stellar stuff to come 

Yeah, I just hit the shitty part :P But I'm really glad it has a good ending. I also picked a great time to start the show, what with the sequel starting in a few months after a 25-year wait. Curious how that'll go.

2 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Ha, you went into Downton with the wrong expectations then :lol: I liked it but it was quite often more like a period soap. There are always some questionable storylines, but there is one in particular (I think in season 4-6?) which i felt well handled. 

17 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

man im halfway through the 100 and im loving it - so funny how it turned from teeny drama light sci fi fair to genuinely great genre TV 

That's good to hear. I'm only 4 eps in and it is certainly all about the teen drama/angst/macho man shit. I can see the potential though...

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ha, you went into Downton with the wrong expectations then :lol: I liked it but it was quite often more like a period soap. There are always some questionable storylines, but there is one in particular (I think in season 4-6?) which i felt well handled. 

The thing is, Downton did start as a sort of "prestige soap" or so it seemed. 

I think it was a significant part of its original draw. Then it quickly started getting absurd and just never stopped. 

6 minutes ago, Castel said:The thing is, Downton did start as a sort of "prestige soap" or so it seemed. 

I think it was a significant part of its original draw. Then it quickly started getting absurd and just never stopped. 

(I broke the quote somehow, sorry)

Soaps generally are absurd though, and I'm not sure it ever pretended to be anything other. I agree it got stranger in later seasons but it was always a soapy. Maybe the best way to describe it would be a period drama with soapy elements that evolved into a period soap with drama elements.

My point to FomN was that it was a mistake to go into it expecting "literature." To my recollection the first episode

featured Anna and Mary shuffling the corpse of a visiting aristocrat across the landing after he tried to have sex with Mary. I think it was always soap-y absurdness and the first episode set the expectations in that regard 

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

That's good to hear. I'm only 4 eps in and it is certainly all about the teen drama/angst/macho man shit. I can see the potential though...

Oh man, stick with it - apart from an annoying love triangle in season 1 it's excellent genre TV. Half way through season 2 and it's great post apocalyptic fiction. 

2 hours ago, Castel said:

Well, yeah... At beginning, it was new and nothing buys audience across the world as the display of Britishness. And Downton was as British as it can be. But, as it progressed, it failed in many ways to be a story about changing times, which it aspired to be. Simply, there have never been any consequences and any real shaking to their comfy life. 

That said, it had Dame Maggie Smith in it and that is why it is the bestest :D 

3 hours ago, Castel said:

But it is soap and nothing else, certainly not literature, though certainly absurd, and not in the good way.  Julian Fallows, that's what he does.  His knowledge of history and social and cultural mores is nil.

Not that any of that mattered to its massive, loyal audience.  They loved the silly without realizing even that it was silly, because, you know, Clothes! Palaces! Servants!  It was escape and they identified with the Crawleys, and never imagined that if they'd been alive they'd have been the scullery maid.  In those eras more people were employed as servants than in any other form of employment.  The smallest number of those servants worked in Big Houses like Downton, and the massive number of all of them were overworked, underfed, badly treated and if female, sexually abused by everyone from the masters of the houses to their fellow servants.

A great antidote to this is the film (1996) based on the A.S. Byatt novellas, Angels and Insects, with scenes of servants having to turn their bodies and scrunch them against the wall so their masters don't actually have to see them or acknowledge their existence.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/angels-and-insects-1996

Also, I can never forget how the Crawleys got their Downton -- the explanation is in the name "abbey."  Blood Henry VIII and his dissolution.  Somebody got it really really really cheap after Hal 8 plundered the abbey of everything of value and then sold the land on.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not that any of that mattered to its massive, loyal audience.  They loved the silly without realizing even that it was silly, because, you know, Clothes! Palaces! Servants!  It was escape and they identified with the Crawleys, and never imagined that if they'd been alive they'd have been the scullery maid.

I haven't seen any Downton Abbey and have no interest in doing so, but I don't think you're being fair to the audience there. Most people I know who did watch it knew perfectly well that it was silly as fuck. They just embraced it. There's nothing wrong with watching something silly sometimes.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen any Downton Abbey and have no interest in doing so, but I don't think you're being fair to the audience there. Most people I know who did watch it knew perfectly well that it was silly as fuck. They just embraced it. There's nothing wrong with watching something silly sometimes.

Precisely. I find it annoying in the extreme when people belittle the audience of shows that may not be historically accurate. If I wanted precise history I'd watch a goddamn documentary. Let me enjoy my silliness in peace

So . . . all those people who said in response that "This is how I'd live if I were English and alive back then," don't count.  The Brits really made fun of its sillyness, knowing just what it was. Production values were excellent, but everything else was beyond the pale.

I understand escape, and I don't tell people not to watch  I have many close friends who adored it, and got together with tea cozies, and dressed up out of their costume boxes -- the whole 9 yards -- every Sunday night it was on Masterpiece, and pretended they were Crawleys. But -- they were perfectly willing and happy to be laughed at.  They knew they were silly too, and didn't care.  IOW, they are very cool friends to have.

These friends understand me very well too, that I wasn't going call something good when it's not.  They enjoyed teasing me, and I enjoyed their teasing. We play!  None of us took any of it seriously, and certainly would never fall out over different ideas of what is fun.  They have zero interest in Musketeers and it's my favorite.

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Precisely. I find it annoying in the extreme when people belittle the audience of shows that may not be historically accurate. If I wanted precise history I'd watch a goddamn documentary. Let me enjoy my silliness in peace

I like this quote.  I'm going to hang on to it. 

Archived