Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

On 2/25/2017 at 7:57 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

With twin peaks the second season starts great, goes a bit shit in the middle and then gets really fucking good again - so you have a lot of stellar stuff to come 

The 'finale' is a seriously fantastic hour of television, even if it seems to come a bit out of nowhere after half a season of dicking around.

I watched the latest episode of The Expanse and it was great. I absolutely love this show. I haven't read the books though so I can't participate in the dedicated thread for it.

Spoiler

Although I am sad to see Miller go as he was easily my favourite character. And the one with the most glorious haircut.

On ‎25‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 4:25 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Ha, you went into Downton with the wrong expectations then :lol: I liked it but it was quite often more like a period soap. There are always some questionable storylines, but there is one in particular (I think in season 4-6?) which i felt well handled. 

I'm half hoping they actually lose possession of Downton because that may be the most interesting direction the story can go, force the Crawleys out of their comfort zone and into the real world, but given the name of the show I doubt it's going to happen.

On ‎25‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 6:10 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

(

My point to FomN was that it was a mistake to go into it expecting "literature." To my recollection the first episode

Reveal hidden contents

featured Anna and Mary shuffling the corpse of a visiting aristocrat across the landing after he tried to have sex with Mary. I think it was always soap-y absurdness and the first episode set the expectations in that regard 

That's the fourth episode, but yeah, I get your point :P 

The Shallows. I don't really have anything really good to say about this other than Blake Lively being awfully easy on the eyes. I guess the seagull was cool, for a seagull, anyways.

Just watched the second episode of HBO's Big Little Lies. What a guilty pleasure. Every aspect of this show I would normally hate from the precocious kids, to the extreme helicopter moms and the whole bubble in which they live. However, it just works so well for this series. And Reese Witherspoon giving me flashbacks to her Tracy Flick from Election :)

Have been watching the (badly aged) Anthony Bourdain series on Netflix (I'm blanking on the name of the show). It's the first series but the shows seem to jump all over the place in time (2003-1999, back and forth). The episode when he happily watched ducks being force fed corn to make foie gras, and then just went on about how good it tastes was really difficult to watch. But it is interesting to see how some things, e.g. nose to tail eating seem so 'out there' to this chef who has a restaurant in NYC. I guess the US doesn't know everything there is to know about cooking after all. :)

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Shallows. I don't really have anything really good to say about this other than Blake Lively being awfully easy on the eyes. I guess the seagull was cool, for a seagull, anyways.

Just watched the second episode of HBO's Big Little Lies. What a guilty pleasure. Every aspect of this show I would normally hate from the precocious kids, to the extreme helicopter moms and the whole bubble in which they live. However, it just works so well for this series. And Reese Witherspoon giving me flashbacks to her Tracy Flick from Election :)

Shallows seems to have developed a huge word of mouth following. But those people must never have watched Jaws 

16 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I re-watched the 2010 version of True Grit by the Coens Brothers. I really love this movie. The dialogue and characters (especially Barry pepper playing Ned Pepper) are top notch and it's just a beautiful western all around.  

Really like that film as well, whenever it's on I feel compelled to watch it.

I watched Brooklyn last week. Very good film, really nice atmospheric setting and a good story. 4 stars out of 5.

On 2017-02-26 at 1:53 PM, GallowKnight said:

I watched the latest episode of The Expanse and it was great. I absolutely love this show. I haven't read the books though so I can't participate in the dedicated thread for it.

I started that thread and I got spoiled for later books...  I changed the title to indicate book spoilers only for what is current with the TV show, but yes early parts of that thread violates that.  You can join it safely if you do not page back to earlier parts of the thread.

I finished season 1 of The Missing and really enjoyed it. Top notch acting all around. The last episode was really well done and an emotional roller coaster. Looking forward to season 2. My only gripe: 

Spoiler

No way a fox would approach a group of loud and drunk humans. :P

Rewatched season four of The Americans in preparation for season 5 next week. Probably the show im most hype to see coming back and there are a few good ones these next couple months.  

Think im going to watch season one of the Italian series Gomorrah next as its on Netflix now or I just never noticed it before.

46 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Think im going to watch season one of the Italian series Gomorrah next as its on Netflix now or I just never noticed it before.

Oooh boy. They must have just put that up because I would've noticed that. The movie's been on my Saved list for some time now and I've just been waiting for the right time for it. Anyone know if there's any preference in watching the movie or the TV show first?

2 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Oooh boy. They must have just put that up because I would've noticed that. The movie's been on my Saved list for some time now and I've just been waiting for the right time for it. Anyone know if there's any preference in watching the movie or the TV show first?

You can watch the series or film in any order. They aren't really related other than both dealing with the mob in Naples.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Binged both seasons of Broadchurch over the past week. Pretty good. Now I need a new murder mystery to watch. 

Season 3 (third and final) started here in the UK on monday night. Didnt manage to catch it but i will be watching.

Season 2 was frustrating, especially the Court stuff because i just kept thinking "no, no no no no no!"

From what I unserstand season 3 is an entirely new case though, which is a welcome change to me

Archived