Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lmao watch it seriously you'll feel justified in that belief 

About Tickled, the documentary, in case anyone doesn't want to accidentally spoiler themselves.

Spoiler

Oh. My. Fucking. God.  Holy fucking shit.  This is the stuff of nightmares.  I could barely watch when they showed people being tickled (I hate tickling, it's literal torture to me and it's traumatic), but when the story started to build around that monster who has destroyed lives, I could hardly handle it.  Totally not what I expected.  I can't even form a coherent response to this doc.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

About Tickled, the documentary, in case anyone doesn't want to accidentally spoiler themselves.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh. My. Fucking. God.  Holy fucking shit.  This is the stuff of nightmares.  I could barely watch when they showed people being tickled (I hate tickling, it's literal torture to me and it's traumatic), but when the story started to build around that monster who has destroyed lives, I could hardly handle it.  Totally not what I expected.  I can't even form a coherent response to this doc.

I'm really ticklish and hate it and I was so angry watching the doc 

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Watched John Wick 2 earlier, enjoyed it quite a lot. Lacked the originality of the first one, but I can forgive that given it's a sequel. It was an utterly relentless, interesting experience though, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. That said, the ending was a bit of an odd choice and I'm interesting to see how a third film might pan out.

Dynamics will definitely be changed which I think is good. They won't be able to follow the exact same formula. I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter.

Streamed an animated film, Wrinkles, on Netflix. Loved it, very very touching portrayal of senior citizens in general and Alzheimer's sufferers specifically. It was a Spanish film redubbed into English with Martin Sheen and George Coe lending their voices for the main characters. Highly recommend.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:29 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

what we do in the shadows is back on netflix (think it was taken off for a little awhile) i had lots of other things to do today but nope nothing that cant wait whilst i watch this again :lol:

I LOVE that movie :D I'll check if it's available in my Netflix (crossing fingers).

Recently I've watched Hunt for the wilderpeople, directed by Taika Waititi, same director of What we do in the shadows. It made me remember the style of Wes Anderson's films. I deeply enjoyed it, a really warm comedy. 

Watched Passengers.  Thought it was supposed to be just some basic sci fi flick with two basic actors.  I still feel sick, can't even sleep.  There should have been some specific warnings for this film, at the very least it needs to be rate R.  I wish I had read a summary or even a review because I never would have watched this movie if I'd understood the theme.  

7 hours ago, Baltan said:

I LOVE that movie :D I'll check if it's available in my Netflix (crossing fingers).

Recently I've watched Hunt for the wilderpeople, directed by Taika Waititi, same director of What we do in the shadows. It made me remember the style of Wes Anderson's films. I deeply enjoyed it, a really warm comedy. 

Yeah hunt for wilder people is a really lovely film. 

Fingers crossed for you too because what we do in the shadows is one of my absolute favourite comedies - it's just so hilarious and quotable I love it :D

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Watched Passengers.  Thought it was supposed to be just some basic sci fi flick with two basic actors.  I still feel sick, can't even sleep.  There should have been some specific warnings for this film, at the very least it needs to be rate R.  I wish I had read a summary or even a review because I never would have watched this movie if I'd understood the theme.  

Yep. I haven't seen it but my friend told me what happens (I asked) and I was so uncomfortable and angry !!!!

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Criticism of the film based largely on its inappropriate message was widespread. It has been mentioned a fair bit on here as well. 

And that's why i said I regret not having read in-depth summaries or reviews.  I relied on the films rating (PG-13) and a one line summary (two people stuck in space together).  I'd only vaguely heard of the movie.  

2 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It doesn't surprise me you would say this...as it concerns a man exerting his will over a woman...

Not only that, but it was turned into a beautiful fairy tale with a 'happy' ending.  I mean, the film was perfectly fine if a bit boring until that ending.  But yeah, totally not surprised that poster doesn't understand why the anger is totally warranted.   

42 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It doesn't surprise me you would say this...

Interesting you changed the content of your post? Is the movie about a man exerting his will over a woman or is that just how you wish to view the content of the movie in order to satisfy your own false sense of outrage?

The movie has a lot of things going on, its addressing a number of themes, mostly pretty shoddily. The movie simply poses a moral dilemma, about what its like to be alone, utterly alone and to be going slightly crazy and asks you to put yourself in that characters position. It asks a moral question, one in which most people would probably end up doing something very similar. It doesn't justify what he did at any point, or say he did a good thing. The ending is cackhanded and poor, but its about her understanding his reasoning for his actions and deciding to forgive him, realising she would have done the same thing. 

Now if people want to put a spin on it which helps them in their political cause then that is up to them, but I think its mostly dishonest to bash a movie for something its not really doing.

Lol, it's overtly doing what we say it's doing.  The entire movie acknowledges it until the very end.  A man exerts control over a woman, stalks her, destroys her life.  He's such a scumbag that forces her to listen to his 'apology' even when she screams that she doesn't want to hear it.  When they make a plan to stay separate, he can't even respect that and barges in on her day with the android. It doesn't really matter if she understands the mind set that led him to do these things, he still fucking did them.  Then he tells her he found a way to put her back to sleep but that he'll come check on her often.  How the fuck is she supposed to trust him.  He's proven he can't handle the solitude.  There is pretty much no choice.  The risk is huge, he can wake her up at anytime he wants.  Maybe he's a vengeful fuck and does it right before he commits suicide.  Maybe he does it right before he dies of old age.  Then she's there on her own alone in the middle of space for years or decades. Or even worse, what if he starts waking up other women and destroying their lives, too.  There is no good choice here for her and the movie would have been great if the filmmakers continued to acknowledge the horrible ethical quandary.  Instead, they turned it into a beautiful love story in the last two minutes, as though this were a perfect happily ever after for both of them.  Two minutes ruined the entire film, and based on reviews online I'm not the only one who suffered nightmares from it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Not only that, but it was turned into a beautiful fairy tale with a 'happy' ending.  I mean, the film was perfectly fine if a bit boring until that ending.  But yeah, totally not surprised that poster doesn't understand why the anger is totally warranted.   

I agree it was the ending that seemed completely misjudged. I think the rest of the film worked OK because it did seem to be acknowledging the creepiness of the main character's behaviour but then the saccharine ending didn't fit with that at all.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I agree it was the ending that seemed completely misjudged. I think the rest of the film worked OK because it did seem to be acknowledging the creepiness of the main character's behaviour but then the saccharine ending didn't fit with that at all.

Exactly. I think everyone would agree with this. 

The difference is trying to crowbar the movie through the lens of feminist politics in order to create a stir.  The movie is a poor one, and the ending is misjudged, but it goes out of its way to acknowledge the awfulness of Pratts actions. 

Would there have been a similar reaction had the roles been reversed? I mean I'm pretty sure there wasn't any of the same level of outrage about something like Gone Girl.

4 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Would there have been a similar reaction had the roles been reversed? I mean I'm pretty sure there wasn't any of the same level of outrage about something like Gone Girl.

Gone Girl didn't pretend to have a happy ending.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

While watching I was initially really excited because the movie touched on some really powerful things.  Just the sense of helplessness and rage that Aurora felt was incredibly moving.  The film was so spot on with everything, that while we can feel empathy for the madness that led Jim to do what he did, he still did a horrible thing and continued to do horrible things.  There was no fixing it.  There was only Aurora trying to make the best of a terrible situation and at the expense of her life. 

But then the ending came and basically said, "Ok, Jim was a hero for a moment (nevermind the heroics Aurora performed) so now he gets his reward, which is the woman he basically destroyed."  Could have been such a powerful film.  

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Exactly. I think everyone would agree with this. 

The difference is trying to crowbar the movie through the lens of feminist politics in order to create a stir.  The movie is a poor one, and the ending is misjudged, but it goes out of its way to acknowledge the awfulness of Pratts actions. 

yes, damn that feminists for, you know, thinking and objecting to things like the glorification and rewarding of rape culture.  The ending negated every single thing about the film, plus it was truly horrific.  

Yeah, there would be a similar reaction, at least from me.  

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Gone Girl didn't pretend to have a happy ending.

Exactly.  Gone Girl understood what it was.

Archived