Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

I think that Dirk Gently is based on a series of Douglas Adams books it makes sense for it to have quite an English feel. For me, English tv has a sort of Auteur quality that often makes it quite individual. Shows often don't fit neatly into boxes or formats, and you can get some wildly original shows that are unlike anything else out there. I think the late 90's and early 2000's were a fantastic time for this. Its maybe tailed off in the last few years as big money has moved in and shows have followed more of an american production format. 

But Dirky Gently has that unusual quality about it, it feels like its out of one guys head, so it doesn't always make sense, but it feels authentic.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

102 minutes :P 

You loved it right? I mean, you can't not love Casablanca, it's just that good :) 

I recorded it from tv over Christmas. It said it was 65 minutes long, which included ads. Did I watch a super abridged version? Shit. I'll have to watch it again. I liked it well enough. But it's weird seeing something you know so much about. 

12 hours ago, Isis said:

I wasn't aware that there had been another version of it.

There was a short-lived Dirk Gently adaptation on BBC3 a few years ago starring Stephen Mangan as Dirk. I watched the pilot episode which I thought was fairly mediocre, but not the rest of it. I think there was only a single short series of it.

20 minutes ago, williamjm said:

There was a short-lived Dirk Gently adaptation on BBC3 a few years ago starring Stephen Mangan as Dirk. I watched the pilot episode which I thought was fairly mediocre, but not the rest of it. I think there was only a single short series of it.

I checked out a bit of it and it was quite weak in comparison. Pretty low budget and unimaginative. I'm very interested in reading the books now.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched season one of Rick and Morty over the weekend. It was fantastic. If any of you ever wanted to see an R rated version of Futurama, this show is for you.

Thanks for the suggestion @Week.

Glad you enjoyed - I'm always eager to spread the gospel. Wubalubadubdub!

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I checked out a bit of it and it was quite weak in comparison. Pretty low budget and unimaginative. I'm very interested in reading the books now.

They may not be as famous as The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I think the two Dirk Gently books are among Douglas Adams' best work.

11 hours ago, williamjm said:

They may not be as famous as The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I think the two Dirk Gently books are among Douglas Adams' best work.

So, there is going to be a second series of this, right?

Trying to find a new series to binge on Netflix, did one episode of something call Black Mirror, got 1/4 way through the second one and shut it off. Tried another one called the 3%, realized it was in subtitles, and horrible. Tried Longmire, watched a full episode and part of another then just quit. Not sure why because it seemed ok.

Found The Killing, 2011 I think? Hooked. Only 3 episodes in and love it. Hopefully it stays good, believe it has 43 episodes so it should last me quite a while. 

27 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Trying to find a new series to binge on Netflix, did one episode of something call Black Mirror, got 1/4 way through the second one and shut it off. Tried another one called the 3%, realized it was in subtitles, and horrible. Tried Longmire, watched a full episode and part of another then just quit. Not sure why because it seemed ok.

Found The Killing, 2011 I think? Hooked. Only 3 episodes in and love it. Hopefully it stays good, believe it has 43 episodes so it should last me quite a while. 

You really missed out by skipping Black Mirror.

You gave up on Black Mirror and 3%? Boo you! :P 

Black Mirror can be heavy going but is worth it. Maybe not to binge watch (although I did). 

I liked 3%, it's like a better, Brazilian version of the Hunger Games. Perfect, no. But interesting all the same (and lend some itself well to bingeing). 

If you haven't already watched, you ought to try the Expanse.now there is a binge-worthy show

eta: @Risto look here! http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/netflix-3-percent-season-2-renewed-brazil-1201753600/ 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

You really missed out by skipping Black Mirror.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You gave up on Black Mirror and 3%? Boo you! :P 

Black Mirror can be heavy going but is worth it. Maybe not to binge watch (although I did). 

Episode 2 was just so hard to watch, all of the riding stationary bike and the screens, drove me insane. Maybe I will go back and just pick another episode to watch after The Killing. Black Mirror seems like a Twilight Zone type of show where you can just watch any episode and not worry about sequence.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I liked 3%, it's like a better, Brazilian version of the Hunger Games. Perfect, no. But interesting all the same (and lend some itself well to bingeing). 

If you haven't already watched, you ought to try the Expanse.now there is a binge-worthy show

eta: @Risto look here! http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/netflix-3-percent-season-2-renewed-brazil-1201753600/ 

The subtitles did me in. I have no invested time in the story so my mind doesn't want to do the work of reading and watching at same time. The only things I ever watched with subtitles were the Danish versions of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies. I had read the books and watched the American version of the first movie so I was invested in the characters.

I did see The Expanse on there, will keep it in mind for the future.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Episode 2 was just so hard to watch, all of the riding stationary bike and the screens, drove me insane. Maybe I will go back and just pick another episode to watch after The Killing. Black Mirror seems like a Twilight Zone type of show where you can just watch any episode and not worry about sequence.

Agree. I think Black mirror is 50% amazing fiction, memorable short story telling at its best, and 50% barely watchable over indulgent pap. But its always pushing things a bit and I love it. I'll admit I also skipped over a few episodes, but the good ones are very good.

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Omg, you skipped out on Black Mirror, 3% and even Longmire for The Killing?  smh

2017 really is going to be the worst year ever.

Last Tuesday I watched about 3 minutes of Sherlock s04e01, Friday I made it about 42 minutes in, and since then I have had zero desire to finish it.  I looked a bit at the Sherlock thread, and it seems that the consensus is that it is one of the worst episodes of the show's entire run.  I do think that I'm done with the show though; season 3 was a chore, and the start of 4 gives me no confidence that it can get back to where it was with seasons 1 and 2.

You might want to try the Fall if you haven't seen it. It's entire 3 seasons are on Netflix.

Last Tuesday I watched about 3 minutes of Sherlock s04e01, Friday I made it about 42 minutes in, and since then I have had zero desire to finish it.  I looked a bit at the Sherlock thread, and it seems that the consensus is that it is one of the worst episodes of the show's entire run.  I do think that I'm done with the show though; season 3 was a chore, and the start of 4 gives me no confidence that it can get back to where it was with seasons 1 and 2.

I greatly enjoyed the second ep. of Sherlock season 4, although I think some disagree. Might want to give it another shot. I agree though ep 1 was one of the worst of the entire run, possibly the worst.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yeah, I remember loving that show and craving new episodes.  It's so bad now that I doubt I'll watch the second episode of this season.  Such a bummer.  

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Omg, you skipped out on Black Mirror, 3% and even Longmire for The Killing?  smh

2017 really is going to be the worst year ever.

Had never even heard of Black Mirror before this week. That second episode was just dreadful and I didn't even make it halfway through it.

3%, I can't do the subtitles, its just an issue I have.

Both BM and 3% lasted only 1 season, how good could they really be? (that should stir the pot)

Longmire is the one I could see myself going back to. Heard a lot of good things about it. Not sure why but for some reason 1/2 way into second episode I just turned it off.

Archived