MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

Current UFC champions as of the brand spanking new year:

W115 Joanna (4 defenses)

W135 Amanda (1 defense)

125 Demetrious (9 defenses)

135 Cody (New Champion)

145 Jose (9 defenses previously, 0 defenses current run)

155 Conor (0 defenses)

170 Tyron (1 defense)

185 Bisping (1 defense)

205 Cormier (1 defense)

265 Stipe (1 defense)

Who will still be on their throne at the end of it?

I think Joanna is relatively safe. Bisping is in danger. Tyron looked good against Wonderboy the first time so I wouldn't bet against him. Mighty Mouse is close to a lock for his division. Amanda...I dunno, she seemed to do enough against Valentina then gas so I don't know who I'd bet on if Pena fails to grapple-fuck her like she did Zingano.

Fights I want to see in the various divisions:

Flyweight: Benavidez vs Cejudo rematch. Just because.

Bantam: Garbrandt vs Dillashaw. And Garbrandt vs Lineker.

Feather:Aldo vs Holloway, obviously. Also, Lamas vs Swanson.

Light: McGregor vs Khabib, McGregor vs Ferguson, Ferguson vs Khabib, or Dos Anjos vs Khabib rematch. 

Welter: Woodley vs Lawler, Woodley vs Condit, Condit vs Lawler re-match, Condit vs Cerrone.

Middle: Bisping vs Rockhold rematch. Rockhold vs Romero. Mousasi vs Weidman or Souza.

Light Heavy: Cormier vs Rumble, followed by Rumble vs Jon Jones. Also, Bader vs Gustaffson.

Heavy: Werdum vs Velasquez, the winner to fight Stipe. Also, Ngannou vs anyone.

Women's Bantam: Nunes vs Holm is the only fight that could interest me.

I feel like RDA needs an easier one than Khabib next up if we don't want him to turn into another Pettis. I also don't think Werdum is ever going to sign another contract to fight Cain unless Cain is champ. Either that or Werdum is guaranteed show and win pay when Cain breaks down and ruins everything again.

Aside from that I like where your head is at. I mean, even with Werdum/Cain 2 I agree it'd be cool to see.

18 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/rousey-suspended-6-weeks-lineker-potentially-6-months-broken-jaw-010317

Can someone explain these suspensions to a noob fan? What exactly the reason Rousey is suspended?

It's a medical suspension, when you take a beating like that they want to make absolutely sure you get a full recovery before you take another fight. Getting hit in the head again while you've got a concussion or something is obviously not ideal. 

Apparently Lineker had his jaw broken in the first round of that fight. The fact that he was able to keep going is ridiculous. 

24 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

It's a medical suspension, when you take a beating like that they want to make absolutely sure you get a full recovery before you take another fight. Getting hit in the head again while you've got a concussion or something is obviously not ideal. 

Apparently Lineker had his jaw broken in the first round of that fight. The fact that he was able to keep going is ridiculous. 

Ah ok like a safety thing.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Don't know why Mayweather called it bad for boxing.

Coz he's an arsehole. Couldn't help but bring his own past into it, either.

Didn't see the Khyrtov fight but I was very impressed with Davis. He gives me quite an Erroll Spence vibe, though probably a bit slicker a boxer potentially. He's in a proper shark tank of a division, be interesting to see how that plays out. Potential opponents like Salido, Vargas, Walters, and well, he's not beating Loma. But he might challenge him in a few years.

Just for the amusement of the clash of names, though, I harbour hopes that Davis will move up to lightweight and Ohara Davies will move back down there from super lightweight, giving us a clash not only of Davis vs Davies but Tank vs 2Tanks.

What would you guys say are the 'Must Watch' fights of BJ's career? That fight against Rodriguez was rough and I think it was the first fight of his I've ever actually seen. I'd like to go back and see what he was like when he was in his prime. 

On 1/19/2017 at 8:51 AM, KiDisaster said:

What would you guys say are the 'Must Watch' fights of BJ's career? That fight against Rodriguez was rough and I think it was the first fight of his I've ever actually seen. I'd like to go back and see what he was like when he was in his prime. 

His first fight with Matt Hughes is #1 for me. 

It was only BJ's 9th fight, and Hughes' 39th. Hughes was a 5-defense champion and on a 13-win streak going into that fight, and then went on to win 6 more on the trot after it, including finishing GSP inside a round to win the title back (after BJ vacated it to fight in Japan) and prove he was still in his prime. So BJ had never fought above LW, went up 15 lbs to fight the greatest WW in the sport's history (at that time, obviously), in his prime, and finished him inside a round.

Aside from that, his first contests with Edgar and GSP and his fights with Florian, Stephenson and Sanchez are also worth watching. His match with future UFC LHW champ Lyoto Machida was also dramatic, and added to BJ's legend because Lyoto outweighed him by 34 lbs.

Archived