MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

Tough one for Cowboy, but I've always been a fan of Masvidal, so I'm stoked for him. Loved his challenge to Dana too.

Not sure who they give him next. Stun Gun or Magny I guess, but they may just give him a crack at Lawler, especially since there could be a good story there with Robbie having just left ATT and Dana possibly wanting to make it as tough as possible for Masvidal to take his 200K.

Cerrone on a tear at 170 was fun. I was sad to see that end. I suspected this was going to be the one.

I was stoked for Masvidal too, but found his challenge hilarious. I'm pretty sure Dana, as promoter, can't legally take that bet. The promoter having a direct financial interest in the outcome of a fight is a clear conflict of interest. I'm betting Masvidal knows that too. 

I had not heard Lawler left ATT. Have you heard where he went?

It was announced a couple of weeks ago that Robbie left ATT, but as far as I know his new team's not public yet, if there even has been a decision. As long as it's not AKA or Glendale I'll be happy for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Protect yourself AT ALL TIMES Holly. I mean, you've had, like, 50 pro fights, how do you not get that yet?

I'm sure I remember Big John McCarthy saying the official end of the round is when the referee steps in, not when the hooter sounds. That the hooter is only an indicator for the ref. So "after the bell" may not be as concrete an idea as we often think. Buggered if I can find the reference but I think it was after Aldo/Mendes II.

Either way, the fan reaction to that malarkey means there's a chance that when Cyborg comes back from suspension she could even go into a fight with GDR being the "face". Who would have thought that could ever happen?

Dana White in the post-fight interview very unhappy with this card.

Only good thing about it was Poirier vs Miller, which I agree, was a fantastic fight. Superb stuff.

Souza vs Boetsch a predictable shit match.

Silva vs Brunson was ridiculous, I agree with White that Brunson won that match and the refs messed it up.

I never thought they'd give that to Silva and don't understand how they even get there.

As for the main fight, quite dull.

Cyborg has been cleared of all potential USADA anti doping violations and is eligible to return immediately. If Holly wins her appeal and they do a rematch, or if GDR has to have hand surgery, Cyborg has said that she is willing to fight the Invicta 145 champ, Megan Anderson.

I really want to see Holly win her appeal, because that was complete BS and should have been a draw if the ref actually had some sort of experience and knowledge. GDR has had 47 pro fights between kickboxing and MMA. She damn well knows when to stop throwing. Holly was visibly rocked from the late punch in the second round. Who knows how much that effected the fight. I absolutely believe the late shots at the end of the third were a result of Holly catching GDR with that clean head kick and follow up. She was pissed. Big John, Herb, Goddard, or Lavigne would have taken a point... I also really want to see Cyborg finally get her UFC title though.

Have to agree. I thought before he went into this game, he really has to win this because he has been losing fights left and right.

Lewis had been making it personal as well. But another loss, he just seems easily rocked. 

From the other fights, I liked the Paul Felder and Gavin Tucker wins the best.

I finally caught up on some recorded fights yesterday. That Silva, Holm card was shit and some horrible decisions. Then I watched the Browne card from Sunday, had some good fights and some really questionable refereeing. One fighter was clearly down and took a knee to the face and not so much as a warning was given. There was one early stoppage and one way too late stoppage. Browne took like 3 massive head shots after it should have been stopped.

That was crazy. Buddy wasn't even looking at the other fighter when he was doing his moves. He truly expected the other guy to sit back and watch the dance. Never get that arrogant. That's another adult man, your size, who has trained real hard to beat you in there. He probably regrets that almost as much as the notorious Weidman spinning kick.

Gavin Tucker, that Newphie kid who made his debut in Halifax against Sam Sicilia, looked beyond excellent. Exciting prospect.

Bisping/GSP.  Uh .... ok, I guess. But out of all the comeback fights discussed (A. Silva, Woodley, even someone at lightweight), this one makes the least sense.

GSP is puny for a MW and has never fought up there. Title shot?

Bisping legitimately starched a pretty dominant champ in thrilling upset to get the title. But since then, he's defended against an aging legend, who is also a small MW, who wasn't ranked anywhere warranting a shot (iirc he was ranked 13th in mw at the time), in his retirement fight, and now the former ww champ who has been out of competition for three years. All the while legitimate mw contenders like Romero and Jacare sit out and wait yet again?

Come on, this is getting stupid.

It is ridiculous if GSP is the next Bisping title fight.

I want a rematch with Rockhold first of all. Failing that, Romero, or Jacare, actual opponents who are likely to beat Bisping.

First Henderson, now this, what does Bisping have on the UFC? What's next, Chris Weidman's dad?

Anyway, great round of fights this weekend, really looking forward to it.

I think Woodley's going to put Thompson down, looking forward to seeing Lando Vannata fight, and most of all, Khabib vs Ferguson! Please let that be a long and glorious battle.

Archived