MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

Is there any way to (legally) watch boxing PPVs online in the US? It seems HBO and Showtime don't air them on their streaming services. Not live anyway, they put them up like a month later. 

--

Gastelum having his win taken away from him for marijuana use is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. 

She was on fire last night. Just makes her opponents look like they don't belong in her division. 

Whole main card was pretty good apart from the Branch/Jotko fight I thought. And Alvarez vs Poirier was incredible up until the illegal knees. 

I hope Stipe breaks the record. 

5 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

She was on fire last night. Just makes her opponents look like they don't belong in her division. 

Whole main card was pretty good apart from the Branch/Jotko fight I thought. And Alvarez vs Poirier was incredible up until the illegal knees. 

I hope Stipe breaks the record. 

I'm rooting against Stipe mainly SO he doesn't break the record.

I dunno, I just like the absurdity of it. 

Also: Rose is fucked and she looks like she knows it too.I wonder how much better Waterson would fare in comparison.

Considering how well Rose's striking looked against Waterson, not much better. IMO, Joanna Champion is the best striker in the UFC. There may be some who are faster, and some who hit harder, but her technique is just sublime and clean. I'd say there's almost no doubt that she wins the 125 belt too. 

eta: Thug Rose is one of my favorite fighters, and she has plenty of time to develop her skills further. I see a championship in her future, but not now. Jedrzejczyk is just too good. 

I think Namajunas has a bigger chance of getting murdersplattered, Penne-style, but she's also got chances of surprising Jedrzejczyk and thus even a marginal shot at winning, whereas Waterson's just going to mostly sit and try to outside-box with her and she's never going to beat Jedrzejczyk at that game, even less so with the movement improvement JJ's shown since moving to ATT.

I was surprised the Stipe fight was over so soon.

You'd think Dos Santos would be able to give him a really good fight and maybe over several rounds.

And for someone so experienced as well.

I want to see Stipe vs Cain, or Stipe vs Ngannou.

JAG and Courtney Casey definitely should have been either the first match on the PPV or high up on the main undercard fights. That fight was how you bring in fans. Dont burry it on the fight pass undercard.

I'm really excited that they have finally given us W125. Joanna vs Valentina Shevchonko is the fight and it will be epic. This division creats so many new awesome fights. Holly moved back down to 135, so they may as well scrap the 145 division, since they only have 2 fighters. Sucks for Cyborg, but it isnt worth it for the company. She needs to abandon all stregnth/muscle taining and cardio it up. She would still be a beast is she could make 135 without killing herself. Either that, ot switch to Muay Thai. 115 and 125 are the money divisions. 135 and 145 are meh. 105 would probably even be better

There was some great striking by Gustafsson but he was pissing me right off with his literal running and his 'accidental' eye-pokes.

Misha Cirkunov got weirdly finished by Volkan Oezdemir. Seemed like a nothing punch but he was coming into it and it caught him on the ear and finished him instantly.

Kell Brook lost to Erroll Spence, in the boxing. :(

I thought they could've stopped that last fight a little sooner, it was like the lights were on but Teixera wasn't home. And yeah, even after the eye poke and warnings Gustafsson had his fingers extended the whole time, never got warned again.

As to the Cirkunov fight, I thought the same thing, it's like he found a secret off switch and just barely touched it.

I like Gus a lot, but that turn-your-back-and-run thing isn't just a bad look, it's bad technique. If DC couldn't teach him that I guess nobody can, but I really hope he evolves away from that nonsense.

As for today, I rate Aldo second best all time after GSP and feel like it's fairly important to the sport to have at least one Brazilian champ in the men's divisions, but I find myself rooting for Max today. It just feels like if he wins it freshens up the division, his style is more fan-friendly and we're more likely to get 3 fights a year out of him than Aldo.

As much as I was rooting for Max it was tough seeing a legend like Aldo go out like that. When it happened against Conor it was so quick it left many, many questions unanswered, but being taken out by the younger lion felt like a legit passing of the torch. Almost as if time isn't some imaginary construct but catches up with all of us.

But that can't be right. Can it?

Now that Aldo has lost again, it kind of validates Conors' victory right? A lot of people questioned it, called it luck, but now it looks like it was the beginning of the end.

I am just fine with him being done, tired of almost every fight he is scheduled for getting cancelled. Right now I am about done with Conor too. I would actually like to see fighters fight! I half way hope Mayweather breaks a log or something so all of this Conor-Mayweather talk can just go away and Conor can get back to what made him famous.

Archived