MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

59 minutes ago, Castel said:

Rockhold also looked really timid striking. Bisping might have ate into his confidence on the feet and his attempts to fix his boxing defense have left him in a rough patch, cause he didn't look good. He didn't seem happy with himself either, in the interviews. 

Yup. It looks like he's thinking way too much in there now. That fight was definitely not a confidence builder for him. I thought he was gonna get KO'd when he was eating that flurry in the first. The interview was weird too, it's like he was punch drunk or something.

Rockhold's a tremendous kicker but his hands have never impressed me much. I haven't seen the Lyoto fight since it happened but my memory is Lyoto was easily out-striking Luke until that almost "accidental" clumsy knockdown, and then Lyoto was on the deck, where Luke is some kind of legit genius. He looked fine against Chris, but then Chris doesn't have great boxing either. Then Bisping waxed him standing, then Branch was on the way to waxing him standing until he foolishly decided to keep clinching against the fence.

Loved Uriah Hall's comeback win, and his post-fight speech even more. I doubt he'll ever be champion, but I dig his slightly oddball intelligence.

And I had it 7-5 GGG. Secretly happy with the result though, since rematch, surely.

Wow, what a brutal fight. Gadelha started so strong and then got the absolute shit beaten out of her for two and half rounds. Andrade looked fantastic.  

And OSP with another Von Flue choke, put Okami out cold. 

Really good card. 

Yeah, if Claudia doesn't sort her gas tank she's never getting another look at that belt let alone a shot at it. She looked so damn good in the early going too, but Andrade's pressure game just sapped her.

That was an excellent fight and Andrade is quickly becoming my favorite female fighter. A tiny tank that just rampages through everything, absorbs punishment, and hits really hard. A fully deserved win over Gadelha, who dishes a fair amount herself but was just overcome by a better fighter. A fight between Joanna and Andrade is much more interesting than the upcoming snorefest between her and Namajunas.

Other fights: Terrible gameplan by the Japanese guy to just go and lie under a massive guy like Saint Preux. The latter has looked so unconvincing when faces with better opponents but this guy was no match for him. Of course, Rua would have been a different ballgame, and much better a fight.

Gokhan Saki's MMA debut was excellent. Incredible punching power, and a thoroughly good fight to watch. I'd like to see him have another fight soon. Credit to Henrique for taking many serious hits and then coming back and cornering Sakhi to the point where he looked like he might lose. But then a massive left to the face ended that tale.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

That was an excellent fight and Andrade is quickly becoming my favorite female fighter. A tiny tank that just rampages through everything, absorbs punishment, and hits really hard. A fully deserved win over Gadelha, who dishes a fair amount herself but was just overcome by a better fighter. A fight between Joanna and Andrade is much more interesting than the upcoming snorefest between her and Namajunas.

I think Joanna has Andrade's number tbh. Claudia was lighting her up, she just powered through it but she won't with JJ and her TDD/ability to get up is excellent. I think Claudia is still a better match up against Joanna.

At least with Rose we haven't seen the outcome. I'd even go so far as to say that a finish is more likely with Rose than Andrade. Sucks for her but it'll be fun for us to watch. 

Well, I think she has a fair shot with Joanna. Let's see how that goes, I wouldn't count her out. 

I agree that Claudia is well equipped to fight Joanna but of course after this weekend Andrade should be first up.

Andrade's performance at the weekend was obvously really good but she was facing an opponent who came straight at her, started to gas after four minutes, and tried to wrestle, all of which are the direct opposite of what Jedrzejczyk would do and did to beat her last time. I see no reason to believe from this fight that she's improved in any of the ways she'd need to beat or even be competitive with JJ.

Saki's striking is obviously leagues above anyone he's likely to fight (seriously some of his work was lovely, and the KO was a beast- look how much heft he can put into his punches without lunging or going off balance compared to his peers) and his TDD showed a promising start. That gas tank looks like a problem though (albeit with two years out of competition he will hopefully be less rusty next time), and I think it likely that the UFC will match him favourably with other powerful stand-up merchants early on. Like, they'll want him fighting someone in the top 15 soon, but they have to be careful to not accidentally have him taken down and smothered and lose momentum before he gets there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferguson vs Lee was the better fight for me, felt like the stakes were higher and they were more evenly matched.

Also some more intense dislike there. I thought Ferguson was more on the back foot than I expected, even though Lee never looked close to knocking him out. The way it ended was definitely a surprise, and a disappointment, even though I wanted a Ferguson win.

DJ doesn't just have the most (official (I still count Silva's win over Lutter)) title defenses in history, he has FOURTEEN wins in the division above his weight class.

His only two losses were in that heavier division, back when he was still a part-timer, both to opponents who significantly out-sized him, one of whom is the best of all time in that division. Hell, DJ isn't even a particularly large 125er, regularly fighting bigger guys even in his own division.

All-time, in p4p terms, only Fedor comes close. GSP, Aldo and Jones had awesome title runs but never tested themselves above their divisions. Anderson did beat a recent former LHW champion (in fact waxed him better than any of his LHW opponents ever had) but only has 3 wins at LHW, not FOURTEEN. Cormier has a whole bunch of solid wins in 2 divisions, but not even close to the number of title defences DJ has.

6 hours ago, Davrum said:

DJ doesn't just have the most (official (I still count Silva's win over Lutter)) title defenses in history, he has FOURTEEN wins in the division above his weight class.

His only two losses were in that heavier division, back when he was still a part-timer, both to opponents who significantly out-sized him, one of whom is the best of all time in that division. Hell, DJ isn't even a particularly large 125er, regularly fighting bigger guys even in his own division.

All-time, in p4p terms, only Fedor comes close. GSP, Aldo and Jones had awesome title runs but never tested themselves above their divisions. Anderson did beat a recent former LHW champion (in fact waxed him better than any of his LHW opponents ever had) but only has 3 wins at LHW, not FOURTEEN. Cormier has a whole bunch of solid wins in 2 divisions, but not even close to the number of title defences DJ has.

It's also often overlooked that Mighty Mouse is a small flyweight (he's smaller than most boxing 115ers. The same size as Roman Gonzalez, an awesome technical fighter who's just been physically overmatched at 115. Mighty Mouse does carry the extra weight better, but it's not tough to imagine him fighting at 118 if he was a boxer, 122 maybe). So he has essentially been fighting up in weight at 125 as well.

Predictions for upcoming fights:

UFC 219

Featherweight

Max Holloway (c) vs. Frankie Edgar       [a]
Heavyweight Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou        
Lightweight Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje        
Flyweight Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis        
Lightweight Al Iaquinta vs.

Paul Felder

I expect wins for Holloway, Ngannou ( great matchup), Alvarez, Cejudo and Felder ( Felder's an animal).

UFC 218

Middleweight Michael Bisping (c) vs. Georges St-Pierre       [a]
Bantamweight Cody Garbrandt (c) vs. T.J. Dillashaw        

Women's Strawweight Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Rose Namajunas       [c] Welterweight Stephen Thompson vs. Jorge Masvidal         Middleweight Johny Hendricks vs. Paulo Borrachinha

Here I expect wins for Bisping ( what a shit matchup), Garbrandt ( will be close and exciting, the real headline fight), Joanna ( easily), Masvidal and Borrachinha.

If Paul Felder can beat Raging Al it'll be a big step up for him. Al's been short of fights lately but also has great results against generally better opposition than Felder.

But yeah, a mouth-watering bunch of drama coming up on those two cards. Even Johny Hendricks' battle with the scale will be riveting.

Archived