MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

They promoted it as a muay thai fighter vs muay thai fighter, but Till really seems to have embraced that Machida/Thompson/McGregor side-on-hands-low karate style. 

Kid looked massive too, I don't remember Cowboy ever looking that small. Not even against Robbie.

3 hours ago, Davrum said:

They promoted it as a muay thai fighter vs muay thai fighter, but Till really seems to have embraced that Machida/Thompson/McGregor side-on-hands-low karate style.

There's obviously some overlap of forms, especially when you take it into MMA, but I think Till's inspiration and training is more the Anderson Silva laid-back school of Muay Thai than those guys you mentioned (I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Silva is why he moved to Brazil). It was basically the two opposing ends of the Muay Thai spectrum.

Very dominant performance from Till right from the start. Landed a few ones, or maybe a few glanced off, but you could see by the end of the first round Till didn't have a scratch on him, Cowboy landed nothing and could only take a beating. Clearly in a stand up fight with both guys facing each other head on, Till is the more accurate striker.

Definitely echoes of a bigger version of McGregor yeah. 

A potential matchup with MIke Perry is mouth watering.

It's a bit weird how they hyped that up given that Perry has a fight lined up already.

Also, lots of boxing yesterday too. Murat Gassiev smashed Wlodarzyk to move on in the WBSS, and Ryan Burnett unified world titles at bantamweight by beating Zhanat Zhakinayov. Big fan of Burnett.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

There's obviously some overlap of forms, especially when you take it into MMA, but I think Till's inspiration and training is more the Anderson Silva laid-back school of Muay Thai than those guys you mentioned (I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Silva is why he moved to Brazil). It was basically the two opposing ends of the Muay Thai spectrum.

Good call, definite shades of Anderson when he was still in his physical prime and much more of a pressure fighter (as opposed to the counter fighter he intelligently evolved into as he aged beyond his early 30s)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't beleive there isn't more interest in GSP's return, he is my all time favourite fighter (though more for his relentless, savage early career than his later more cerebral bouts), a decent human being and a legend who almost nobody seems to give a sh!t about.  I read somewhere that so many fans have been recent due to Rousey, Mcgregor, that a significant number of regular pay per view buyers don't actually know who he is.

I'm definitely gonna get this card but the main event is the fight I'm least excited about. I respect GSP, and all that, but his style just bored me also. Especially towards the end of his career when there was absolutely no chance he'd finish any fight. But I hate Bisping so I do hope GSP wins this one. 

GSP was before my MMA-watching time, and while I can totally enjoy a good technical master, him and the UFC just haven't given me enough reason to care about his return. And I don't care much about Bisping either, so it's just a meh matchup.

The other three big fights on the card are all far better. Cody vs TJ is by far the fight of the night, and I always love a bit of Joanna Violence.

Did y'all see how Cody decided to accuse TJ of PED use by implicating his own entire team in PED use, though? The man's as dumb as a box of Nick Diaz's toenail clippings.

GSP was before my time as well. I only started watching a couple years ago after hearing someone on a podcast I listen to talk about McGregor. First event I tuned in for was Conor vs Siver. 

I'm still very excited for tonight but like the others have said, the main event is probably the fight I care least about. 

With all that being said: LET'S GO RUDE BOY, KICK GALL'S ASS :commie: 

Archived