MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

15 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Holy fucking shit. If there was one fight I expected to be one sided tonight it was that one. Rose just shook everything up. 

It was one sided. Just... not that way.

Glad it was to Thug Rose and not someone I dislike or don't care about.

Almost the entire event delivered in spades. Not the most dramatic night in MMA history, but surely in the top dozen somewhere. 

So stoked for Rose, especially after the crazy revelations on the MMA Hour a wee while back about what she and Pat had been going through.

And GSP man. There are reasons not to enjoy some of his work, sure, but there are no reasons to deny his greatness.

I'm guessing thats the first time that 3 titles have changed hands in one night?  That was great work from GSP, i hope he drops down to 170 and retains his title, then absolutely brutalises the shit out of Conor in a mega fight and then calls it a day for good. 

Of my predictions I had 4 out of 5 wrong.

Costa destroyed Hendricks. I think Costa would also have destroyed Bisping.

Stephen Thompson actually did something. I didn't know he could still move after two matches standing still and crumbling before Woodley.

Two fights that should definitely be rematched soon are Garbrandt vs TJ and Joanna vs Rose. Goof stuff, but rematches warranted because these fighters are evenly matched. On the other hand Gadelha or Aguilar also have a very good chance against Rose.

Cruz will probably win his fight in December but I would still rather see these two guys rematch.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Of my predictions I had 4 out of 5 wrong.

Costa destroyed Hendricks. I think Costa would also have destroyed Bisping.

Stephen Thompson actually did something. I didn't know he could still move after two matches standing still and crumbling before Woodley.

Two fights that should definitely be rematched soon are Garbrandt vs TJ and Joanna vs Rose. Goof stuff, but rematches warranted because these fighters are evenly matched. On the other hand Gadelha or Aguilar also have a very good chance against Rose.

Cruz will probably win his fight in December but I would still rather see these two guys rematch.

Hendricks is done. 

Cruz doesn't really deserve a title shot next. He beat TJ sure, but then he put him on ice to go fight a completely undeserving Faber and then a lower-ranked Cody...and had the temerity to lose, badly. TJ on the other hand has beaten Assuncao, Lineker and Cody since then.

Dana says that Mighty Mouse is next for TJ which should be interesting. MM seems pretty reluctant to fight bantamweights and I get it. I think he just wants to sit in his division and beat people up and make a comfortable living but people continually call for him to go up to fight guys who are bigger than him in a division he left for being small. But he should take it, and go up (instead of letting TJ come down)

I loved how after the main event they did a bunch of post-fight wrap stuff and cut back to the cage and GSP is still in there, what seems like 10 or so minutes after his interview with Rogan,alone, just drinking it all in. Being back in an Octagon, a massively defining feature of his life, and not just any Octagon, but one in the legendary surrounds of MSG.

DJ is the next fight I want for TJ. CoGar - my favourite BW - unfortunately just got waxed inside 2 rounds on his first attempted defense, so hasn't earned any kind of rematch. Cruz at least has the win over TJ, and is the divisional GOAT, so if he gets past Rivera will be the deserved #1 contender. Even so, DJ vs TJ at 125 is the most mouth-watering match-up for both The Snake and The Mouse. Especially since TJ isn't even a very big BW.

Bruce Buffer was on fire this weekend as well. He cracks me up, the best announcer in sports by a huge margin.

"Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's..............................TIME!!!!!!!!!" with MSG screaming along with him.

Buffer isn't even the best announcer in his own family. Although admittedly Michael is long past his best now.

Dana talking about specially moving the UFC's Feb 24. date to England to stage Till vs Wonderboy (even though they already have an England card scheduled less than a month later). They really are going big on Till...

Anyone catch the Poirier/Pettis fight?

That second round was ridiculous.

Matt Brown's KO of Sanchez was one of the most brutal I've seen, he just crumpled. 

And Junior Albini might be the weirdest looking guy in the promotion. Big, baby face HW came out fighting in what looked like a diaper. So odd. 

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Anyone catch the Poirier/Pettis fight?

That second round was ridiculous.

Matt Brown's KO of Sanchez was one of the most brutal I've seen, he just crumpled. 

And Junior Albini might be the weirdest looking guy in the promotion. Big, baby face HW came out fighting in what looked like a diaper. So odd. 

Pettis was an absolute bloody mess. That was a great fight until the injury. 

Did you watch it live? FS1 actually missed the Brown elbow KO. The feed got messed up right when it happened. But yeah, it was absolutely brutal.

Albini has fucking tree trunk legs and he likes to show them off. Odd dude. Arlovski looked good though.

Albini looks odd. I was not surprised to hear that he used to be fat and then started to work and became a fighter, he still seems like he can really improve his shape. 

The Matt Brown knockout was indeed brutal. At first I didn't think he could have hit him that hard but then I saw it was just a full on elbow to the head.

On November 11, 2017 at 2:08 AM, polishgenius said:

Conor McGregor being a dick.

Shame there isn't any one who'll ban him for this (as if the UFC will for behaviour at a Bellator show, and it's outside the jurisdiction of any relevant commissions) because it definitely deserves one.

In regards to this, heard something interesting on the radio this morning. The host theorized that McGregor did this to open up a fight with de La Hoya. Apparently the Golden Boy said he's been training and is stronger and faster than he's been previously, and would knock Conor out in the 2nd round.

17 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Pettis was an absolute bloody mess. That was a great fight until the injury. 

Did you watch it live? FS1 actually missed the Brown elbow KO. The feed got messed up right when it happened. But yeah, it was absolutely brutal.

Albini has fucking tree trunk legs and he likes to show them off. Odd dude. Arlovski looked good though.

Yeah it was crazy that the error happened right when the KO did. Really weird timing. 

2 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

In regards to this, heard something interesting on the radio this morning. The host theorized that McGregor did this to open up a fight with de La Hoya. Apparently the Golden Boy said he's been training and is stronger and faster than he's been previously, and would knock Conor out in the 2nd round.

De La Hoya did say that, but I don't believe for a second that McGregor is interested.

Archived