MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

I think he still has in his mind what happened with Chad Mendes.

And Khabib is Chad Mendes times ten. At the same time Conor will try to not let him cloe.

I'm sure that Conor has also improved his takedown defence since the fight against Mendes, but that is irrelevant in this scenarion as there is no takedown defence against Khabib, for anyone. Conor can only hope to knock him out first, in my opinion. And that is possible therein lies the tension.

I also like Ferguson as an opponent because he is a fair bit taller than McGregor who enjoys fighting guys shorter than him and struggled badly with Diaz. And Ferguson is better than Diaz. And one who can take a lot of punishment and dishes out easily as well.

AND El Cucuy has cardio for 12 rounds, while Conor's typically lasts only 12 minutes.

That's why as a Conor fan the fight I want next for him is the Nate trilogy fight. Not because I'm certain he'd beat Nate again, but because I think he has a far better chance against Nate than he does against Khabib or Tony.

Also because the meltdown among the fandom, fighters and media would be ludicrously entertaining if Dana announced Nate was skipping the queue ahead of Tony and Khabib.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit. Watching the count down. Did I really just see Ngannou, that massive, super powerful man, just throw a flawless looking Capoeira kick? Can someone confirm? That was crazy.

Still can't pick against Stipe, but damn, this is a crazy fight!

If you only ever watch/listen to one episode of Joe Rogan's podcast make it this one. 

John Danaher, BJJ genius, a guy GSP swears by, a man with not only a black belt from Renzo Gracie but a PhD in philosophy from Columbia.

It's win-win from where I sit. Conor clearly isn't concerned with defending belts but he gets to save face and continue to act like he's the "real" champion while also letting the division move on.

And seriously, anyone who's a fan of the sport beyond the surface level check out that John Danaher/Joe Rogan chat, not just because of the fascinating way he explains BJJ in a way both lay people and experts can be engaged with, but because what he reveals about what GSP has gone through in the last few years - including preparing for and winning the MW title - is riveting stuff.

Yeah that mma podcast was great the breakdown of his guy beating another guy in bjj showing how he was going to get the leg lock was great. So was the GSP stuff.

Rogan has had some good guests lately in general. Danica Patrick the other day was a really good one and he said that in Feb Neil Degrasse Tyson is going to be on with a flat earther!

14 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/ufc/779738/mcgregor-stripped-lightweight-title/

About goddamn time. 

Also Dana said on the radio that Ferg vs Khabib is set for April in Brooklyn. LW back on track hopefully. 

About goddamn time was about 6-9 months ago, also, i'll believe it when i see it. 

Pretty good card. Kattar-Burgos was great, they were just out there throwing. DC is such a likable guy, also glad he won.

A co-worker of mine was one of the judges for the DC fight tonight too. A few years back he told me he was trying to get into doing this and I guess he fucking made it. Good for you, Nick. I was hoping it would go 5 so I can bust his chops about his decision, but obviously not.

And the Predator in the business suit front row was awesome. 

On 1/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, KiDisaster said:

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/ufc/779738/mcgregor-stripped-lightweight-title/

About goddamn time. 

Also Dana said on the radio that Ferg vs Khabib is set for April in Brooklyn. LW back on track hopefully. 

Did anything become of this? Haven't heard that he's been stripped so far.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Did anything become of this? Haven't heard that he's been stripped so far.

Nope. Looks like the Ferg/Khabib bout will be for the interim belt. Disappointing but not at all surprising.

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Not really surprising. This is the perfect retirement fight for DC. If he wins he's the second ever two division champ (simultaneous) and if he loses well...it's a fight he's not "supposed" to win anyway and he still gets to retire as the LHW champion with only 2 official losses on his record. (and one's potentially arguable cause Jones is a cheat)

Plus he doesn't end up in Cain's way (assuming Cain actually comes back) which was always his stated reason for not going back to HW. It's perfect. 

Props to Stipe for accepting though, for him it's a big risk, but Stipe's just a don't-give-a-fuck kinda guy I guess. Also it's a massive payday I'm sure :P

I would have liked to see DC/Gus 2 cause they're two of my favorites but man I hope DC pulls it out and retires with two belts. As far as I'm concerned he's already in the GOAT conversation but that would lock it down. 

Let's Go Champ. 

Archived