MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

The WBSS has delivered its second great fight in a row, Gassiev vs Dorticos. Setting up for an Usyk vs Gassiev final, which is going to be fantastic as well.

The super-middle semis next- Smith vs Breidis probably won't be as strong a fight, but Groves vs Eubank should be absolute fire. And having apparently sorted out technical issues from previous fights for tonight, those in countries where it's not on TV (like America) should be able to get the fights free streaming on youtube.

This Rockhold/Romero battle is so fascinating to me, not just on a technical level but as a meeting of two of the most quietly intriguing personalities in the game.

Also stoked we'll fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally get to see Israel Adesanya in the UFC. For NZ fans it's felt like an endless wait. Now just got to cross everything and hope he goes ok.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, polishgenius said:

... apparently sorted out technical issues from previous fights for tonight, those in countries where it's not on TV (like America) should be able to get the fights free streaming on youtube.

Any news on how that went tech-wise? I missed it.

The Gassiev-Dorticos fight? Apparently the stream was solid and consistent for the first time, the whole fight showing clean on youtube, so that's nice.

If they can keep it up for the two SMW semis in the next two weeks, we know they've sorted the problem rather than just fluking it for one night.

Adesanya looks like a hell of a talent.

Romero missed weight for tonight's bout. If he wins he doesn't get the interim belt, but Rockhold still does if he wins.

Which is the most pointless thing I've ever heard since either way whichever one of them wins is getting the next shot at Whitaker :lol:

Bummed that Rockhold couldn't do it, I really wanted to see him get it just so I could see a fresh challenger for Rob. Luke's striking defense is still so bad though he probably wouldn't have been much of a "challenge" for a killer like Rob anyway.

Even more bummed for Mark, but y'know ... dude's almost 44, was fighting a 26 year old giant and probably got paid twice as much as the next highest paid guy on the card.

Stoked for Izzy Adesanya though. The most important thing was to see if he could remain composed in the big show and he passed that test with ease. Now just have to see if he can sort out his TDD.

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Romero missed weight for tonight's bout. If he wins he doesn't get the interim belt, but Rockhold still does if he wins.

Which is the most pointless thing I've ever heard since either way whichever one of them wins is getting the next shot at Whitaker :lol:

Given that Yoel just got beat by a one-legged version of Rob maybe they use the weight miss as a (very justified) excuse to skip him and bring Weidman in as a fresh challenger.

Although it isn't a fight that will or should happen for a while, I'm already looking forward to the eventual meeting of Adesanya and Paulo Costa.

I believe White's already confirmed that Yoel fights Bobby Knuckles next, so there's that. Although Yoel says he broke his leg in the first round, so he could be out for a while.

9 hours ago, Davrum said:

Given that Yoel just got beat by a one-legged version of Rob maybe they use the weight miss as a (very justified) excuse to skip him and bring Weidman in as a fresh challenger.

Chris has one victory coming off a 3 fight loss streak, I don't think Yoel should get another shot right away either but Chris isn't anymore deserving IMO. 

I'd like to see Weidman fight Jacare and give the winner of that the next shot maybe. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Chris has one victory coming off a 3 fight loss streak, I don't think Yoel should get another shot right away either but Chris isn't anymore deserving IMO. 

I'd like to see Weidman fight Jacare and give the winner of that the next shot maybe. 

Dana never needs any more justification than "because I wanted to" to green light any given match up, but I suppose the fact Yoel had not been planning to fight for another couple of weeks gives him a little leeway on the weight thing, especially since he essentially stepped up to save the main event.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is a crazy night of boxing.

• Kovalev vs Mikhalkin
  • Bivol vs Barrera
  • Wilder vs Ortiz
  • Dirrel vs Uzcategui
  • Derevyanchenko vs Johnson

I will have to watch the Kovalev card on HBO, and set up my tablet or laptop in a way to watch the Wilder card.

9 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

Tonight is a crazy night of boxing.

• Kovalev vs Mikhalkin
  • Bivol vs Barrera
  • Wilder vs Ortiz
  • Dirrel vs Uzcategui
  • Derevyanchenko vs Johnson

I will have to watch the Kovalev card on HBO, and set up my tablet or laptop in a way to watch the Wilder card.

Also in the UK, Kell Brook vs Rabchenko on his move up to 154, as well as a Josh Taylor showcase, with some decent lower-level fights under each.

I started off switching back and forth between the UFC card and the Showtime card but ended up just staying on the boxing. This Wilder/Ortiz fight is crazy. 

ETA: Wow I thought Wilder was fucked. What a fight. 

Archived