Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davrum

MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

387 posts in this topic

Dana giving it the big un so far, lets see how much he is appaled by Conor when he needs some big PPV numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chiesa is apparently clear to fight. Had multiple cuts on his face but no stitches needed. I hope they're able to find Caceres another opponent on short notice, or if not he still gets his full payment. Three fighters potentially having their livelihood's affected by something they had nothing to do with all because of Conor. Five if you count Pettis & Joanna. 

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Dana giving it the big un so far, lets see how much he is appaled by Conor when he needs some big PPV numbers.

Did you see the Facebook live interview? All the questions about doing business with Conor were "not right now" which is typically noncommittal. He should be banned, but I doubt the anger holds up when they start seeing the potential dollar signs of Conor vs Khabib in Russia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So was this real and Conor is crazy or was it semi real to drum up PPV?

And Conor made too much money boxing, going to have to give some away in a civil suit / settlement to the injured people for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/982067213619400707

Chiesa fight is off after all due to the facial lacerations. Ray Borg fight is also off because he got glass shards in his eye. Helwani also saying Caceres won't be getting a last minute replacement opponent. 

Three fights down. Fuck Conor. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

So was this real and Conor is crazy or was it semi real to drum up PPV?

And Conor made too much money boxing, going to have to give some away in a civil suit / settlement to the injured people for sure.

Multiple fighters injured and multiple fights off the card as a result, no way this was a planned stunt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disgraceful behaviour by McGregor, totally agree with Dana White, if he has a beef with Khabib then finally step up to fight him in the ring instead of dodging and not defending your belt, don't bring 20 goons in and attack a bus. What a piece of shit, he is losing fans fast.

And yesm unfortunate how much impact this has on the card, which was half ruined anyway because of yet another Tony Ferguson withdrawal ( unbelievable).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/982067213619400707

Chiesa fight is off after all due to the facial lacerations. Ray Borg fight is also off because he got glass shards in his eye. Helwani also saying Caceres won't be getting a last minute replacement opponent. 

Three fights down. Fuck Conor. 

Multiple fighters injured and multiple fights off the card as a result, no way this was a planned stunt. 

The cynical part of me thinks that some of these guys realized that 1) getting punched in the face after this if you had any cuts was dumb but, also, 2) Dana's probably gonna pay them anyway (at least show money, he's a cheap bastard like that) and they have a much better case for damages if they can show they missed out on a payday :P

 

More power to all of them, frankly. Conor deserves to get sued for some of that Mayweather money.

 

Oh, and btw: Max Holloway can't fight, so the main event might also be dead if Pettis can't make weight. Ain't it grand? This is the strangest confluence of events to ever manifest on a UFC event. This is worse than the cancelled event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Castel said:

The cynical part of me thinks that some of these guys realized that 1) getting punched in the face after this if you had any cuts was dumb but, also, 2) Dana's probably gonna pay them anyway (at least show money, he's a cheap bastard like that) and they have a much better case for damages if they can show they missed out on a payday :P

 

More power to all of them, frankly. Conor deserves to get sued for some of that Mayweather money.

 

Oh, and btw: Max Holloway can't fight, so the main event might also be dead if Pettis can't make weight. Ain't it grand? This is the strangest confluence of events to ever manifest on a UFC event. This is worse than the cancelled event.

Yeah I wouldn't blame any of them for deciding to sit out to better their cases at all to be honest. Chiesa is saying it was the NYC athletic commission's decision, but whether that's true or not who knows? In any case, if he's got multiple cuts on his face it's the right call regardless of who made it. 

First I'm hearing about Holloway but that's disappointing as hell. This whole card just got absolutely destroyed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UFC won't pay Pettis enough to save the card and NYSAC won't let Felder step in. This has to be the biggest clusterfuck in the history of the UFC. 

I can't imagine how red Dana is right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a society that rewards bad behavior, as long as it's sensational and drives headlines. McGregor and the UFC will profit 10x whatever damages he caused.

 

Dana and the UFC will get their fight of Connor vs. Khabib, and it will be the biggest card the UFC has had in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Chiesa is apparently clear to fight. Had multiple cuts on his face but no stitches needed. I hope they're able to find Caceres another opponent on short notice, or if not he still gets his full payment. Three fighters potentially having their livelihood's affected by something they had nothing to do with all because of Conor. Five if you count Pettis & Joanna. 

Did you see the Facebook live interview? All the questions about doing business with Conor were "not right now" which is typically noncommittal. He should be banned, but I doubt the anger holds up when they start seeing the potential dollar signs of Conor vs Khabib in Russia. 

Dana has no leverage. UFC is on extremely shaky ground because they haven't been able to create stars. The two big ones they managed to create were Rousey, who wasn't a good enough fighter to merit the star treatment, and McGregor (who despite being a shitbag of a person) has been smart enough to realize that the terms of fighting under the UFC are grossly unfair to him. Dana can't ban McGregor because if he goes and fights for another promotion, that promotion all of a sudden becomes more relevant than UFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

@KiDisaster Source?

Pettis: https://twitter.com/KarynBryant/status/982279364476715009

Felder: https://twitter.com/felderpaul/status/982282848307572738

Al Iaquinta also not an option: https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/982282811968143360?s=19

UFC supposed to make an official statement at a press conference soon. I'm wondering if they postpone the whole thing or just push ahead with Rose/Joanna as main event. 

Edited by KiDisaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Apparently the NYSAC blocked Pettis cause he wasn't fit enough foro 5 rounds which is..I don't even know what to say. 

 

So the card is basically dead.

Edited by Castel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Castel said:

So the card is basically dead.


To be fair it's still a really solid card by any other standard. The co-main is good, especially if JJ shows up on point, and there's some real good fights in there. But obviously it's lost its biggest selling point by a margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:


To be fair it's still a really solid card by any other standard. The co-main is good, especially if JJ shows up on point, and there's some real good fights in there. But obviously it's lost its biggest selling point by a margin.

Rationally you may have a point. They can lift some good prelim fights to the main card but...this was the Tony/Rose card imo. Tony is definitely out, Khabib may be out and somehow Pettis and Chiesa have gone down as well and everything in 155 is even more fucked than before the card... I don't think they'd  have made this card as it currently stands a PPV. Maybe solid for Fox but Rose/JJ with...Lauzon co-main as a PPV? 

And I'm just a guy on my couch, imagine the people who traveled to see it live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out it's Khabib vs Iaquinta tomorrow night after all, Iaquinta not eligible to win the belt though because he didn't make 155. 

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/al-iaquinta-meets-khabib-nurmagomedov-at-ufc-223-but-only-nurmagomedov-can-win-title

Al pulling a huge upset win would be the cherry to top off this entire fiasco of a week :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What the hell? Few hours ago I was still somewhat happy that at least Holloway fights Khabib. What happened????

Edit: Deemed unfit to fight by medics due to weight cut. 

Edited by Calibandar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really surprising. Didn’t he have to cut like 26 pounds in 5 days? What an overall disaster this has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Calibandar said:

What the hell? Few hours ago I was still somewhat happy that at least Holloway fights Khabib. What happened????

Edit: Deemed unfit to fight by medics due to weight cut. 


Reportedly there were no medics involved. NYSAC officials just looked at him and decided he looked bad. Which he probably did, but so did every single other fighter on the card.
I mean I am obviously not against protecting fighters from themselves but no doctors? The NYSAC guys quite obviously don't see a lot of MMA and aren't used to how fighters cut and freaked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all the madness and cancellations there were still some damn good fights last night. 

Magomedsharipov vs Bochniak was probably FOTN. That trip in round 2 was so slick it didn't even look real at first and the last 30 seconds was just wild. 

Rose proving the first fight was not a fluke and looking impressive as hell out-striking Joanna for three rounds. I was really hoping it was turning around when JJ started coming back in 3 and 4 but she couldn't keep it up in the 5th.

Let's make Khabib vs Tony finally happen now please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0